Sign in to follow this  
Guest d-man777

GA Plane Recommendations?

Guest d-man777

I'm looking to buy my first plane for fs9. I'd like a good single engine prop, faster than a Cessna 172, with good looking interiors and exteriors, good flight mechanics, and won't break the bank.Suggestions?Thanks

Not quite what you are looking for but the price is right! :9 Go to the avsim library and get Milton Shupe's Aero Commander; it's free! While being a twin I think it's what you may be looking for. Flying mostly heavies I never use a VC, EXCEPT for this plane in which I use the VC exclusively. The flight model is fantastic, can cruise at about 180 kts, non-prssurized so you have to stay at the low altitudes. Being an Aero Commander you can get into and out of almost any airport. You'll have to learn to manage props and mixture, but it just adds to the fun. When I want to fly GA on short trips, it's the only plane I use. Quite frankly, I compare all the payware planes I buy to this plane, and most don't stand up. Mike

Carenado makes some of the best looking single engine GA aircraft around. Their aircraft textures are very good. The Cessna 206 is an award winner. I have not seen better animated pilots than theirs.

Indeed, my vote would go on a Carenado offering, either the 206 (for the sheer fun and diversity of a rough and ready workhorse that also makes a fantastic speedy tourer!), or the 182 (sleek and fun!).But I also have the Safir (wonderful!), and the SF.260 (great, but not as easy to handle as the Carenado Cessna's) - and they are fantastic aircraft too!Regards,Al.

Guest Roadkill

I echo the Carenado Cessna 206 recommendation. I love a plane that works for a living! Besides,(at least on my system) it is easy on the framerates. It looks great, flies well, and has all the equipment you need for instrument flying. Lately it is the plane to which I keep returning.

Guest d-man777

Thanks for your recommendations so far. These planes all look great. One other thing I should have mentioned is IFR. I was surprised at the lack of navaids on these beautiful planes. I'm pretty unschooled, so I assume that's part of the realism. I'd at least like to be able to fly VOR.I'd looked at Carenedo's site and really liked the Cessna 182 Skylane II RG. Any reason many of you are recommending the 206 over it?Thanks for the input so far and keep it coming!

Flight1 Commander 112ASibwings Saab SafirDreamfleet Bonanza A36Aerosoft DA Diamond Katana (only slightly faster but what a beauty)RealAir Siai Marchetti SF260Carenado Cessna 182RGMilton Shupe's SpartanLionheart's Bellanca Viking or EADS SocataAll are excellent examples of modern FS single engine aircraft that are expertly modeled inside and out, have realistic night lighting, won't break the bank (especially Shupe's Spartan). If you are an AOPA member you have access to last year's AOPA Sweepstakes Piper Cherokee Six and 2005's sweepstakes Commander 112A (a simpler version of their payware version) which Flight1 made for AOPA members. There are also several very fine examples of single engine aircraft made in Russia that are freeware that are worth having on your computer.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

d-mann 777They all have the Nav-aids. You can shoot an ILS approach when you learn how to do it. If you're talking about "flight into known icing conditions", then that's something else in IFR flying. I think the rubber boot on the horizontal stab is for abrasion purposes only, I don't think it's an anti-icing boot. The GPS has spoiled us with respect to VOR to VOR flying. You can flight plan VOR to VOR and not worry about Freqs.#2I think one of the prettiest things to behold is an airplane on pontoons. That's why I like the C206. As Bob said it's a working airplane in which you can swap out the back seats for cargo by clicking on the right hand seat.

You can't go wrong with anything Dreamfleet or Realair. Dreamfleet is going to be releasing their Archer III soon (hopefully very soon). You might want to wait and check that out.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I have to say that the Carenado 182 is my favourite. I have got all the others but the sounds on the '182' are the best. A very close second is the Flight One 172 Skyhawk.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest neslesman

In answer to the question 182 VS 206 I think the 206 Stationair is just a better model and is also a great utility aircraft that will go almost anywhere. It's also has floats or skis for water or winter. For me the 182 is just too similar to the 172 to get my first choice vote although it's a nice plane. I think the 206 is Carenado's best work but all their stuff is great.I also second the Dreamfleet A36 Bonanza, it's been my default aircraft for a couple months now, but again the Carenado Bonanzas are real nice too but the Dreamfleet A36 is really a step up.Most people think "corny" on first impressions of the Real Air Scout pack but the Scout always delivers for me with great realism and extreme high quality and wonderful flying qualities. Excellent value IMO.Can't say enought about the Aerosoft Piper Super Cub either and dirt cheap at ten dollars. The Avsim review say this about the Super Cub.""...Overall, this package is a great value. For your money, you get nine models, well over a dozen textures, and hours of fun exploring the back country in FS. Although this product lacks the complexity of some other add-ons, it is a great addition to the library of anyone who enjoys classic airplanes, bush planes, or just wants something fun to buzz around in. " There are just so many great choices it's hard to decide. How about a Super Piper Cub AND the Dreamfleet Bonanza A36 for a total of about $35 US.......or a nice twin like the Cessna 310 from Flight 1.

Guest tango papa

I'd like to include the Beech Baron 58-TC version. It's the Turbo-charged version, which maintains MSL pressure from 0' to 20,000' without stressing the engine. A very nice plane for all purposes, range, cruise speed, and flight charteristics.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

Guest ArtieLange

Dreemfleet Beech A36 with the turbo mod.

>The GPS has spoiled us with respect to VOR to VOR flying. You>can flight plan VOR to VOR and not worry about Freqs.>Good! Zigzagging VOR flight is a waste of fuel anyway!And had Amelia and Fred, had GPS, they'd have nailed that little island way out in the middle of the Pacific, within three feet! That's if they "didn't" survive, of course... :D L.Adamson