Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

What's so great about 2D panels?

I guess it's down to preference. Surely to get peripheral vision you have to zoom out? To me at least, that's not so real. And having the side and corner views set up so that you instantly go to them (and back again) is no different to 2d, except with the majority of add-ons the part of the cockpit you're seeing looks nowhere near is good as it would with 2d images. And having that "snap-to" set up is not how 99% of FS users use the VC with their hat button.Maybe I just haven't found a GA VC that I prefer to 2d, and maybe I should spend time finding out how to setup the hat switch to snap to a view rather than pan.All that said, with the new camera views possible in FSX, the VC becomes far more useable.........allbeit that most VC's still don't look good enough ;-)I think the worst thing about 2d panels is this continued to this day "sitting on the pedestal" viewpoint, that most developers still use. Now that is the biggest reason to use a VC.Greatest Airliners - DC-8Greatest Airliners - 727 Whisperjethttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

I have a PC that really should be updated for FS but it does all I want with other applications so I can't justify upgrading it.3D panels give me a clear bright view. I find that 3D panels are blurred and darker. Also I prefer flying vintage GA and I have never never found a 3D panel that really satisfies me. As an example I attach a 2D panel I've created for a 1930s Hawker Fury fighter.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167725.jpgI just don't see that level of detail (which I prefer) ever being reproduced as realistically in the 3D panel. Also, the remaining controls (throttle, mixture, trim etc) are those which in reality the pilot would find instinctively and would not need to look for so needn't be reproduced visually.That's not to say 3D panels are not effective for a modern aircraft with many basically flat panels. However, I wouldn't like to see 2D panels being abandoned

Guest Knikolaes

FSD's Pilatus Porter and Dreamfleet's A36 and baron 58 I think are god examples that detail can be acheived in the VC. I am VERY VERY VERY picky about level of detail. But the above mentioned aircraft have never given me much of a chance to complain.Also I se TIR mentioned a lot in this thread. I use Activecamera instead. Mouse for panning . . . works god enough for me and I react just as fast as I do in the real world aircraft I fly **shrugs** Of course that has nothing to do with 2D vs. VC -- it's a matter of how far into the sim you are and how understanding your Fiance is for your love of flying. Fortunately mine is getting into simming with me :-) She is just starting out and is already addicted to VC's.As for the horse and car thing .. . that put an interesting image into my head LOL.

Guest DK8290

I like 2d panels as they show everything all at once. I usually can't even see out the windows as I have the GPS up there and the throttle and maybe other windows. It's easier to change things from there.If there is a VC then I have head latency on with active camera (or in FXS, just using it's default one) and it makes adjusting VC knobs tedious. Even without head latency, VC knob adjustments are more tedious (maybe it I had a larger monitor).I use the VC for visuals but the 2d panel for input

Guest Knikolaes

>I like 2d panels as they show everything all at once. I>usually can't even see out the windows as I have the GPS up>there and the throttle and maybe other windows. It's easier to>change things from there.>>If there is a VC then I have head latency on with active>camera (or in FXS, just using it's default one) and it makes>adjusting VC knobs tedious. Even without head latency, VC knob>adjustments are more tedious (maybe it I had a larger>monitor).>>I use the VC for visuals but the 2d panel for inputI have to concur with the monitor remark. Monitor and resolution make a huge difference. I started simming with a 17" that was capable of 1280x1024 resolution. It sucked. Now I have a 21" with 1600x1200 resolution in the sim and it makes a HUGE difference when reading and clicking in the VC.

Hi,I use a mix:- Airliners: almost strictly 2D, because of better panel graphics, IFR flights and complexity of aircraft (dozens buttons, switches, etc)- GA's: almost strictly 3D, because of VFR flying (looking around etc) and easy to operate from VC (only a few buttons etc)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest Eek

>2D panels are an anachronism. Pointless other than to offer>better FPS to machines that cannot handle a VC with fluidity.>They are also offered as "it's the best we can do" by>companies who cannot make good VCs but want to sell simplanes>anyway.>>Having a 2D panel in the view selection is like having a horse>tied to your car in case your engine dies. Now that's funny. :-xxrotflmao I don't think they are an anachronism. With multiple monitors, I can view everything at a glance, just like I would in real life. To me it's just a waste of resources to display the window pillars, yoke and the meal cart.But, then again, I may be an anachronism. x:-) ~EwingKATLMSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz2GB Corsair PC-3200 512x4 Dual Channel CL2.5 DDR DIMM eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3Sound Blaster Audigy LSOCZ Powerstream 420WWinXPPro (SP1)

ISTM that in a multi-monitor or home pit setup you are going to want what amounts to a 2d panel. For a single monitor VC has applicability. I find as long as what you need in the VC is pretty much in front of you it works OK, but the overhead and pedestal are difficult to use. Even the MCP can be a problem which seems to be admitted because I see MCP in undockable windows a lot in VCs.scott s..

>I tell you what would be really nice; an idiots guide to>setting up a controller to work how you describe.>For starters, it's helps to have a controller with plenty of buttons, such as my Saitek X-52, or previous X-45.I have a small hat switch on my throttle, that's set for look left and look right. If I'm to do any form of aerobatics, I'd use this for instant left/right views & springback to center.I have another button that centers the VC immediately from any position. I believe it's the same as the spacebar command.As to zooming, it's either the outside view only, or both the cockpit & outside together. No single zoom rate is realistic for all occasions. I prefer .75 for FS9 & the range is a bit different for FSX.L.Adamson

Cheers. After posting I thought I was being a bit lazy so I tried it myself.I use the throttle hat switch (believe it or not) for flaps. I alays found it awkward using the paddle lever things on the stick base. Anyway, I got the unused 2nd hat on the stick working for left and right OK but couldn't get the 1/4 views working yet.Now this alone (with the side views) makes a whole world of difference. There's still an issue over the quality of the artwork in most VC's, not to mention the eyepoint! But at least it makes the VC more useable.

Cheers

Paul Golding

I use FS9 frequently as an IFR practice aid, usually in the Carenado 182Q, and for that kind of flying the 2D pit is invaluable. You're not looking outside much in instrument flying, and lots of head movement is generally counterproductive, leading to vertigo. I've tried flying in IMC with the VC and my TrackIR, and it's really no fun. The 2D pit, where most everything is visible with only eye movements, generally works better. I find much the same situation when flying airliners, since they're more panel-intensive as well.Now, for VFR flying, the VC's in my 182 and Sibwings Safir are terrific - great fun with a TrackIR. I just think that 2D pits still have their place in flight simming, and shouldn't be consigned to the scrapheap just yet in the name of "progress".John G.

John G.

Where available I will use vc mostly - the immersion factor multiplies exponentially for me because of the simulated 3d space. Also, external visibility is much better because of the larger external view - basically the same clarity as hitting 'w' in 2d. regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpg

Regards,

Mark

I used to be a 100% 2D man. I didn't even bother with VC head latency or hat switches or all that stuff. Once I got TrackIR, I never looked at a 2D again. To be quite honest, the real power of a VC can only be unleashed with TrackIR.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU