Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrianFletcher

Can someone please explain what stuttering is?

Guest BrianFletcher

>Maybe you have a "heavy" antivirus or firewall?>Or maybe you have spyware? Have you tried running some anti-spyware >programs?I did run my anti-virus and spyware utilities, which did remove some spyware, but no viruses. I use the Bell South maintenance and utility pack for my AV and spyware, but I turn it off before I start Flight Simulator. >Try running perf monitor or disk monitor to track down some >application that is causing continue disk or cpu access and thus >causing stutters:I just tried both of them, but they did not show any programs trying to run. I also use FS Autostart before launching FS9. >I concur with Marco. Also remember that newer is NOT always better. >You say the stutts started suddenly, even with a reinstall of >Windows. Did this occur after a windows update? Are you using a >recently released graphics driver? One idea may be to look up and >download an OLDER driver and see if thathelps.I tried FS right after re-installing windows, but before I downloaded all of the updates, and it stuttered. I tried it again after the updates, and it continued to stutter. I am using the newest NVIDIA driver right now. I tried the last two drivers and the beta driver, but got the same stuttering. >For me, the most stutter-free solution was to use the Microsoft >version of a "Clean boot" (see Microsoft KB 815069). That procedure >shuts down all startup programs and everything else >except "essential" services. I've never heard of Clean Boot until your post. It looks like it will have the same affect as FS Autostart, but maybe better since I tend to leave programs running when I don't really know what they are, and sometimes FS Autostart doesn't know either. I'll give it a try.>My experience is that rapid stuttering is tied to the video driver.>Try another driver release if you can.. it may help.>Also, as a test, lower AA and AF settings and maybe screen >resolution, just to see what impact it has.I have lowered my screen resolution to 800 X 600, and gone so far as to turn my AA down to 2X, and I tried it off as well. I don't have AF on in my card or in FS9 right now, but have tried it at all settings up to 16X. My experience with the stuttering did not change, but I did find the simulator to become unstable at 8X AA.>Slow, intermittent stuttering is usually caused by some background >program, like anti-virus monitoring, kicking in.>Running Filemon concurrent with FS9 will show you if other programs >are interfering.Someone just sent me an e-mail wondering if I have tried Filemon... I haven't yet, I'll run a Google search for it and see if it can help me find something running that the other two monitoring programs I tried could not.

Guest BrianFletcher

Well, thanks for the help everyone. Filemon just solved my two month long problem in about 10 seconds. Apparently a program was trying to run that I don't even have anymore. For some reason my old TVI card, that I removed already, kept trying to start up. I removed all associated files I could find and now I am stutter free.Thanks for all the help.

Guest TomOOO

Have you done a "remove hardware" on this tv card ?Glad you have fix your problem - mind you, you have fixedyour problem - so maybe to do nothing and enjoy is the bestoption.RegardsTom

Guest Knikolaes

>Well, thanks for the help everyone. Filemon just solved my>two month long problem in about 10 seconds. Apparently a>program was trying to run that I don't even have anymore. For>some reason my old TVI card, that I removed already, kept>trying to start up. I removed all associated files I could>find and now I am stutter free.>>Thanks for all the help.Never heard of Filemon, goi ng to try it though. I may not have stuttoring, but i am always looking for ways to better maintain my system. That sounds handy. :-)

>Never heard of Filemon, going to try it though. If you like Filemon, you'll love the more complete Process Monitor. Download here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...essmonitor.mspxRegards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.12's6x EATM AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall

You thin,thin,thin,think you, you you, your cccccccccccclev clev clever, don, don, dont yyyyyyyou?:-wave :-roller :-laugh1

Dave Taylor gb.png