Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot533

Why is it so ugly?

Glad i saw this post as I WAS having terrible texture problems, I was really frustrated by it and was just living with it. Like you I had tried a bunch of things. After reading your post, I went back into it.First, I removed the FS9.cfg file all together and let it create a new one. I ran Flight Sim Manager (You have to change the date back to 2005 to get it to run) and it found some duplicate textures (20 or 30) in diagnostic mode. I was shooting from the hip with this program, not sure what I was really doing.I changed the Mipmap on the display hardware setting up to 8. This had the biggest impact on my blurries that looke exactly like yours. As I type this I am going to reset it to 6 and test. It was at 4. Still have not changed anything in the default FS9.CFG file that the program created after I removed my old one. Took a short test hop and it looks a lot better. I still have some sparkles but I thinkk that is is because of LOD 22 settings.I will post pics and report backMy machine is an AMD Athalon XP-2600 running 2.2, 2 Gb RAM, and a Radeon X850pro AGP graphics card. Compared to moder hardware it is no speed demon. Don't give up. I almost did but it looks like I am back.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Guest TomOOO

Still thinking....Looking at the post onSun Mar-04-07 12:38 AMCould you go to somewhere I can look at - tell me a startingairport and then a position (shift-Z or is it ctrl-z). AnywayTake a shot from 3000 ft, from plane spot view and post ifpossible. Then I will do the same to compare.RegardsTom

Guest Pilot533

Ok, heres a shot at lax. Compare yours by starting a flight at klax selecting "active runway as your starting point" select the fair theme in fs weather. When the flight loads select map and put in heading 45, 10000 feet and press ok. Wait 5 seconds for the haze to clear up and look straight ahead in spot view clicking the + twice to zoom in so your cessna appears as large on the screen as mine. (or how many you need to zoom to my level) to zoom in.http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k174/Pilot53_2006/untitled-5.jpgThanks for the help...

Guest TomOOO

Sorry for the delay but reality got in the way.I have done the above request and take 2 pictures, one (probablythe first) with MIPS=8 and the other with MIPS=4. I cannot use higherthan 4 as I have a cheap LCD monitor and the shimmer is dreadful.You will see that the view is not much better for mips=4 but I getabout 30 miles view at mips=8 which is what I expect for the settings.Ie from my settings in the fs9.cfg I have set the TERRAIN radius to9.5 and a multiplier to 3. This theoretically give me a sharp viewof about 30 miles if the MIPS did not get in the way. Anyway, thisis what I understand from the settings.Are you expecting too much? I have spent too much of my life as a passenger in planes, and there is really an issue of resolutionof what you can see. On a good day over the US from about 10000feet you can see the layout of the land for some 30-50 miles andso in effect this distance blurrying is what I see in real life. Youjust cannot see a long way.To truely enjoy the terrain stuff you have bought then you shouldtry them at 3000-5000 feet. This is VFR normal flight in Europeand this is the height above the military and below IFR. I amsorry if this is not quite the answer you expect - anyway notsure my processed images do the view justice but hopefully youget the ideaRegards Tommips=8test-1.jpgmips=4test-2.jpg

Mike,Concerning defragging, did you use the one that came with Windows, because it's almost worthless. I've seen my FS performance get worse each time I defragged, my texture and other FS files get spread randomly throughout other files on my drive. There doesn't seem to be any algorithm to the way Microsoft's utility does it. You may want to try a third party defragger like Ultimate Defrag that will place all your flight sim files in proper order and close to each other on the hard drive for quicker access times and faster performance. If you use this product though, be sure to use 'defragment files by name' for the best results.Also read the more recent post here on TERRAIN EXTENDED LEVELS. I see that everybody, including me, have numbers way too large for these config. entries:TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=Apparently, anything larger than the number 4 after any of these entries is not doing anything for your performance. Search this forum for the reasons why. I think I will go back and edit my config. but use 3 for TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS since I am getting terrain tearing (thin blue lines between sections of terrain).Kim

>Ok, heres a shot at lax. Compare yours by starting a flight>at klax selecting "active runway as your starting point" >select the fair theme in fs weather. When the flight loads>select map and put in heading 45, 10000 feet and press ok. >Wait 5 seconds for the haze to clear up and look straight>ahead in spot view clicking the + twice to zoom in so your>cessna appears as large on the screen as mine. (or how many>you need to zoom to my level) to zoom in.>>untitled-5.jpg>>>Thanks for the help...Hi Mike,I have posted shots as per your request and there is not much of a difference between my KLAX shots and yours (I am using UT USA BTW).  While I am using a setting of 21 on TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL it will only affect higher quality scenerey such as the photoreal kind and I think that the above post from Tom with the shot included is a photreal one. (Correct me if I am wrong TOM)  So here are some of my shots from KLAX and from my neck of the woods around Vancouver BC that contain scenery from Vancouver+ by Jon Patch and Holger Sandman and you can see there is more clarity as compared to the KLAX area, which BTW looks a little better now that I unchecked Residential Roads as per another poster in this thread.<a  href=http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/maxam66/th_ROB-2007-mar-12-022.jpg' alt='th_ROB-2007-mar-12-022.jpg'>th_ROB-2007-mar-12-021.jpgth_ROB-2007-mar-12-011.jpgth_ROB-2007-mar-12-010.jpgth_ROB-2007-mar-12-008.jpgth_ROB-2007-mar-12-007.jpgth_ROB-2007-mar-12-004.jpgth_ROB-2007-mar-12-002.jpgCheers,

\Robert Hamlich/