Sign in to follow this  
schachow

Brightness of landing lights

Is there a way of changing the brightness value in a cfg file to cut down on the brightness of the landing lights of many aircraft that do NOT have taxi lights?Many aircraft come without taxi lights and the landing lights are too bright to be used for that purpose.Is this a function of a cfg file or is this built into the aircraft's program?

Guest Yak Yak

one texture controls this: halo.bmp (found in root texture folder) you can darken the brightness of the light via this texture, but it'll effect all planes. (but you can just copy/paste/or rename different versions depending on what you are flying). there a bunch of halo.bmp variations here on AVSIM. It's easy to try them all out...-feng

Guest tango papa

You might want to check this, newligth.zip, available in the AVSIM Library.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

Thanks, Yak Yak and Tango PapaI appreciate your suggestions and I am still trying some of them. So far no success but still have a few things to do.When I get my final, successful solutions I will post it.

Guest cimanera

You can also check out the great freeware add-on "Real Environment Pro" (here in AVSIM Library). There is a feature to change the aircraft landing lights. I think the REP light textures look very natural and subdued.

Thank you to all of you who gave me suggestions. I suppose I should have been more specific about what I wanted.I wanted Taxiing Lights. Most aircraft to not have a taxi switch. And so I wanted to cut down on the brightness of the Landing Lights so that I could use them to taxi.If I had told you that in the first place you probably would have told me to just use Ctrl-L to turn OFF the Landing Lights. Because Ctrl-L leaves the Taxi Light ON when it turn OFF the Landing Lights. And so all I had to do is look at the Control Assignments to find my answer. Sorry fellas. But I did learn some things from your suggestions.Bill

So, you switched them (everything) on with L then? Because if the taxi lights don't have a button, how did you turn them on in the first place?But anyway, halo.bmp has nothing to do with the brightness of landing lights, not with the part that lights up the runway and taxiway, etc...The file you should look into replacing, regardless of whether you've solved your problem, is spotlight.bmp. Personally, I'm using Xenon number 3 from xenon2.zip, which you can find over at FlightSim.com. But there are plenty of other options out there. ;-)

Mike...

Mike, what I did was turn on the Landing Lights with the switch on the aircraft's panel. Then, after landing and ready to taxi, I now press Ctrl-L. That will turn off the landing lights and leave me with just the taxi lights. One more press of Ctrl-L turns the Taxi light off. Both would now be off.BillP.S. I will look into your suggestion and see what it will do for me. Thanks.Hugo, thanks for the tip. I will look into that site and see what it has to offer.Bill

Hi, MikeThanks for the tip. That was the answer.I downloaded xenon2.zip and replaced the spotlight.bmp with one of those provided by the xenon2.zipBill

Guest tango papa

Thanks for the info. I did a bit of tweaking last night, and was satisfied with the results, but didn't try the halo yet.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

Guest PARADISE

>>Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like>-M.TwainI wonder if M.Twain liked cats............:-hah