Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

Added Realism for that out of the window look

Hi RH:FS Genesis has two products: Mesh - here:- http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchan...egory_Code=DVD9and LandClass: here:-http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchan...egory_Code=LC04Describing mesh: imagine a large flat table: randomly place a number of boxes, different sized balls, some sticks, a few Coke cans on the table: then completely cover the whole thing with a net, or some chicken wire, or fishing net. As it goes over the top of a box, it will form a "mountain"; likewise the dips in between the articles will appear to form valleys, hills and flat plains. In the real world this is made electronically by using satellite imagery to measure the height of the land as the satellite passes over. FS9 uses a very low, flat, unrealistic mesh by default. FS Genesis uses a much higher resolution to create a much more realistic world.For the US - use North America FS2004 Terrain 2 DVD Set, Code: DVD-NA.Landclass: Picture dividing the world up into small squares: Place a command on each square which says "load this type of scenery - #147".FS9, seeing this "#147" now digs into the texture files for tile #147. This might be a light green field with a farm in one corner, with some dark green trees in the opposite corner. The next square might have a different command # - say #163 - which may call a green field with a rural road running through it. There may be many thousands of these textures, and so LandClass is the command that says "Load THIS texture HERE". If you have Ground Environment Pro and have selected 5 of each type of ground/sky textures - you will understand just how many there are because of the time it takes to create them!FS Genesis has it's own LandClass, and is somwhat different to UT's landclass. There is a patch, however, that will make the two work remarkably well with each other. For the US - use US National Landclass Project, Code: LCUSI hope this helps: appologies if you find it a bit simplistic and wordy, but I don't know of any place that adquately explains it in language that all of us understand. (I'd like to be a bit more computer-literate.) There are lots of "gurus" on this site, though!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest d-man777

With FSG meshes, you will see much more accurate representation of the terrain with respect to its altitude. The meshes come in various degrees of resolution (number of squares per unit area). For instance, most of the fs9 default mesh are, I believe, 1200m resolution. Or, the length of each side of a mesh square is 1.2km which means you'll not see any detail that occurs between those to points.The FSG meshes are available from 300m all the way down to 9m (which fs9 displays at 19m due to a limitation). So at 300m, you'll have 4 times the number of data points along that same 1200m side. This means 16 times the number of points for that 1200m x 1200m area. The neat part is that you can have multiple resolutions installed and they'll all get used at different viewing radii. The terrain closest to your location will use the densest mesh and it will use coarser and coarser mesh as terrain gets farther away, saving system resources.Also, the landclass definitions seem to apply better to a well-defined terrain mesh. You'll see a more-realistic application of the terrain textures on a denser mesh. Ultimate Terrain will benefit from this as well.Try reading this review, it'll probably be clearer than I've been.http://www.avsim.com/pages/0106/3scene/3scene.htmGood luck

PJ, You did an excellent job of explaining mesh and landcast. It is not how many words you use or how big they are but, how well you communicate. A big Sierra Hotel to you my friend.John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest tango papa

If you are still looking for scenery enhancements, take a look at the new release just out for GLACIER BAYv2, another excellent package from Holger Sandmann and team. His work is nothing short of being magic, and is compatable with just about any other enhancement package. Take a look at the topic, LORDY, a few topics up from here.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

Guest d-man777

Just for grins, I did a comparison. I've never uploaded images to this forum before, so bear with me. I've included 5 images showing in order (hopefully) Oahu in various stages of upgrade.1-default fs92-FSGenesis mesh, fs9 landclass3-FSGenesis mesh, FSGenesis landclass4-FSGenesis mesh, FSGenesis landclass, Megascenery photo terrain5-Just for comparision, fs9 mesh, FSGenesis landclassThese show the drastic differences the addons can make.Enjoy (again, hopefully),Dennis

>1-default fs9>2-FSGenesis mesh, fs9 landclass>3-FSGenesis mesh, FSGenesis landclass>4-FSGenesis mesh, FSGenesis landclass, Megascenery photo>terrain>5-Just for comparision, fs9 mesh, FSGenesis landclassImpressive!!!>4-FSGenesis mesh, FSGenesis landclass, Megascenery photo>terrainUhmm, but does FS uses custom landclasses if there is photo terrain below?Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guest d-man777

No, the landclass becomes irrelevant if using photo terrain. My description was a bit misleading, but accurate in that all items are active. If the Megascenery were to be disabled in the scenery manager, the FSG landclass would take over.D-

I have already invested in Ground Environment Pro and Flight Enviornment. How well do the above interact with what I have?RH

>I have already invested in Ground Environment Pro and Flight>Enviornment. How well do the above interact with what I>have?>>RHI see no reason why FSGenesis mesh and FSGenesis landclass shouldn't work. Aren't those are replacement textures? I use Bird's Eve View textures with FSGenesis products.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Dave, I see that you state that you have an "Apple 23" display. Does it show FS2004 correctly with strech or destartion? What about Apple's 36 inch display. Can you run and veiw Fs2004 correctly on it? Thanks, Jerrycwo4