Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Disable Overspeed Warning When In Accelerated Sim Rate

I wouldn't normally even THINK of disabling the overspeed warning on my Learjet 45, but lately when I'm flying at 8x or 16x and at 35k I get an overspeed warning at 470 knts IAS that I don't get if I remain flying at the normal sim rate. I really don't want to sit through 4 1/2 hours of blank ocean horizon if I don't have to, but that overspeed warning is annoying, and my wife, and my dogs, are starting to complain!I first noticed this behavior on a transatlantic flight from Newfoundland to Heathrow, and right after installing the registered version of FSNavigator and flying using FSNav's autopilot features. Even if I back off the speed by 10 knts each time to eliminate the warning, it eventually starts sounding again, even at the reduced speed, after just a minute or so at 8x or 16x.Thanks in advance to the group for any help or insight!Chuck B.

Guest ThrottleUp

I do not know about the Overspeed warning but may I make a suggestion. Its what I do when I dont want to fly a long flight in real time.Once you have reached cruise altitude press ALT followed by W MSelect the zoom level on the map and now just use your mouse to drag the plane anywhere along your route. I ususally drag mine so only an hour or so of flight remains.

Wow! 470 kias sounds awfully high, especially at fl350. What is you mach number at that FL and speed? Are you sure you are not reading true airspeed or ground speed?Dale

Dale

Good suggestion. I'll have to try it. Unfortunately I don't think FSPassengers lets you move your plane.

>Wow! 470 kias sounds awfully high, especially at fl350. What>is you mach number at that FL and speed? Are you sure you are>not reading true airspeed or ground speed?>>DaleDale:You're right - I wrote this at work and I wasn't thinking. It was actually 359 KIAS, which shows a .81 mach number. But your post got me thinking: I dropped down to fl270 and sure enough the warning went off.I still don't understand why it would be set off at 8x or 16x, but not at normal sim rate though.Thanks for your help!Chuck

>I do not know about the Overspeed warning but may I make a>suggestion. Its what I do when I dont want to fly a long>flight in real time.>>Once you have reached cruise altitude press ALT>followed by W M>>Select the zoom level on the map and now just use your mouse>to drag the plane anywhere along your route. I ususally drag>mine so only an hour or so of flight remains. Nevin:Thank you! That was a great suggestion and that's what I'm afraid I'll end up doing late in the flight!I'd still like to not be limited by my sim rate speed though.Thanks for taking the time to help!Chuck

The most common reason a sudden overspeed occurs on a long distance flight is crossing a weather boundary and the winds shift suddenly.At high simulation rates, you might not see that happening.

>The most common reason a sudden overspeed occurs on a long>distance flight is crossing a weather boundary and the winds>shift suddenly.>>At high simulation rates, you might not see that happening.I wasn't aware of that and that's probably what's happening. The region I was flying through (the southern polar region north of Newfoundland) is definately meteorologically dynamic.Thanks. It's all becoming very clear!Chuck

Guest PARADISE

Since you're using accelerated time why not slow your airplane to mach .70, or so, before you go to 8x/16x. Since you're speeding up the time anyway it really doesn't matter if your're flying at mach .81 or not. By the way, at this speed and altitude your're IAS should be around 280-300K, not 359.John M

> >Wow! 470 kias sounds awfully high, especially at fl350.>What>>is you mach number at that FL and speed? Are you sure you>are>>not reading true airspeed or ground speed?>>>>Dale>>Dale:>>You're right - I wrote this at work and I wasn't thinking. It>was actually 359 KIAS, which shows a .81 mach number. But>your post got me thinking: I dropped down to fl270 and sure>enough the warning went off.>>I still don't understand why it would be set off at 8x or 16x,>but not at normal sim rate though.>>Thanks for your help!>>Chuck>>Ok, I think I see the problem - you are actually at the max mach speed for the Lear. Like someone else mentioned, when you cross into another weather zone it can put you over max and trigger the alarm. From the Lear aircraft.cfg file:[Reference Speeds]flaps_up_stall_speed = 112.0 //Knots True (KTAS)full_flaps_stall_speed = 102.0 //Knots True (KTAS)cruise_speed = 464.0 //Knots True (KTAS)max_mach = 0.81max_indicated_speed = 330 Dale

Dale

>Ok, I think I see the problem - you are actually at the max>mach speed for the Lear. Like someone else mentioned, when you>cross into another weather zone it can put you over max and>trigger the alarm. >From the Lear aircraft.cfg file:>[Reference Speeds]>flaps_up_stall_speed = 112.0 //Knots True>(KTAS)>full_flaps_stall_speed = 102.0 //Knots True>(KTAS)>cruise_speed = 464.0 //Knots True>(KTAS)>max_mach = 0.81>max_indicated_speed = 330 >>DaleYup. That sure would do it!Thanks, all, for your help. You've all given me some great suggestions -- I was afraid something was wrong with my new copy of FSNavigator, that somehow it was to blame. And it was -- sort of -- but not the way I thought. I was using the default speeds generated by it's auto generate flight plan feature without really paying attention. In the future, I'll be more mindful of the details! (Slapping self in forehead). It's an awesome add in though.Thanks again, everybody!Chuck