Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Question about services running with FS9?

Although my Task Manager shows about 40 processes running at most times, if I also run Filemon, then I can see that only 4 or 5 of these keep reappearing.Is there any value at all in disabling or suspending any of the others, as it doesn't look to me, that they're actually interfering in any way?Currently running 2Gb fast RAM.

An interesting one Phil. Could be skinned many ways.I run a lot of services permanently off. I used to run FSAutostart heaps, now I just disable my AntiVirus and be done with it. To be quite honest, I see no visible difference from an elaborate regime of tinkering with services. I just make sure the taksbar is aways practically empty, and that new programs don't sneak those annoying little icons in there that suck up CPU cycles. Msconfig is your friend.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest PARADISE

I don't get a real advantage in FS performance by turning on/off any unnecessary services either. If it ain't broke........John M

Guest neslesman

When I had a feeble old computer it made a HUGE difference for me to shut down as much as possible and defrag the memory but now that I've moved up it's not really a big deal except for AV, IE browser, my mail program that causes stuttering when it phones home and a few other minor things. For a major flight I use FSAutostart but not for quickies or testing where I don't have much time. I even fly with active downloads and at worst I get stutters on turns and it's a bit slow loading.

In addition to keeping installed programs slim and in line, this site http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm has been very useful in trimming down my remaining active services. I'm down to someplace in the teens now.regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpgPC Power Silencer 470/3.2HT/2048mb/ATI X1950pro/SB Audigy

Regards,

Mark

Nice feedback there - thanks to all.As a follow-up question.... anyone know if there's a way of resetting all service settings to default? I don't mean with msconfig, i mean within the service manager.