Sign in to follow this  
Guest stan29

Best Object Placer for FS9?

Guest stan29

Hello Fellow Simmers, Having trawled the forum I am still unsure which is the best (in your honest opinion) object placer. I have read that Lago's FSSE isn't worth bothering with as they have ceased supporting that product. I would be interested and grateful to hear your thoughts. Many Thanks, Stan HarveyEGPE

Hi Stan,the issue with LAGO's placer is, in my opinion, not so much with the lack of support but rather with the fact that anyone who wants to use your scenery needs to purchase a copy of FSE as well. That's a bit "elitist", though what's nice about FSE is the ability to place sound files, which no other product can do.The alternatives are other dedicated object placers, like EZ-Scenery (payware), Rwy12 (free), and ObPlacer (free), or scenery utilities that include Object placement options, like SBuilder (free).I prefer EZ-Scenery because it has WYSIWYG capability, that is you get to see right away what the object will look like in the scenery. Its disadvantage is that it doesn't provide complete access to all object placement parameters (like tilt or Scenery Density options; though you can always de-compile the EZ-Scenery placement file to change those manually) and a lack of automatic backup options (you always directly manipulate the scenery placement file in your scenery; make a major mistake and you're hooped).I guess it depends a bit on how many and what kinds of objects you're planning on placing. If you need to place many small objects that differ in scaling and direction - signs, boats, trees, etc. - you're probably better off with a WYSIWYG tool. If you just need to place the odd antenna or building then any of the other tools will work just fine.Cheers, Holger

Guest tango papa

I will agree that LAGO is a bit neglected supportwise, but is still very usable for FS9, and has a features the other's don't have; namely sound events and dynamic moving objects. Your other two choices are Abacus EZ-Scenery and RWY12. The main feature of EZ, is that you can see what and where you are placing objects immediately. RWY12 works along the same way, but you need to restart FS9 to see the results. You can use objects from all three programs without any problems. There are numerous library files available for EZ and RWY12, and new one's are added fairly often to the AVSIM library. To make object placement much easier, be sure to look for the file CHPlus.zip. When you install it, you will understand what I mean. It is very easy to use in SLEW MODE, and accurate to 1 Meter. You will also need AFCAD, an exclude, and flatten program. Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

EZScenery, plain and simple.Regards, MichaelKDFWNot anti FS9, just pro FSX!

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

EZScenery is a great option. It has a slight learning curve but is good when you get it working. You should note that it isn't compatible with FSX (and may not be) from what I understand.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest wji

"You should note that it isn't compatible with FSX (and may not be) from what I understand."Affirmative, but AbacusPub's (The makers of EZ-Scenery) released a FREE FSX addon named Scenery Shortcut (SS) which adds scenery objects to FSX the way EZ-S adds to FS9 but SS does not require any additional Object Libraries as it uses the FSX default objects. Cool.I use both and recommend both[/font size]

Guest stan29

Thanks for the responses guys. Plenty of advice to take onboard there!Stan HarveyEGPE

I just bought and use both LAGO FSE and the EZ-scenery. I like them both but the LAGO has a better selection of people, cars, buses, trucks and equipment and the other scenery has more building and major land objects. With both programs you can add ANYTHING to FS2004, objects and sounds. I put 3 wolfs on a certain hill near "Emma Field" (another great program)and just circle around untill I hear them howling, to locate them. jerrycwo4