Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

"Enter downwind runway 08"

Aces, why does 'ATC' do this?I am under the distinct impression that the safest way to land is 'upwind'? Or, have I got it wrong?

Dave Taylor gb.png

The closed traffic pattern has four legs...departure, crosswind, downwind, final approach which is usually into the wind....AOPA and many other sites have info on the closed traffic pattern:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Ron, I am referring to being told to land 'downwind'?

Dave Taylor gb.png

The phrase "enter downwind runway 08" means you will enter the traffic pattern on the downwind leg, the preferred entry. This means you will still turn base, then final, and land upwind.

Guest CaffeineBomb

You're being told to enter the traffic pattern on the downwind leg, not to land downwind.Enter the traffic pattern flying the 'downwind' leg at 260 degrees. Make a turn to 170 degrees for the base leg, then another to 080 degrees for final approach and landing.AndrewK

I think Dave is referring to the fact that he is being given a runway to land on that means he is landing in a down wind position.ie with the wind behind me !!

Phil Densley

When you are told by ATC to "Enter Downwind Runway 08" your are expected to enter the traffic pattern parallel to the runway you are landing on and flying in the opposite direction of landing. After flying downwind you would turn to the Base leg and then turn to Final Approach.Actually the traffic pattern has 5 legs and if you were flying a complete left pattern you would do the following:Upwind - Fly parallel to the runway in the same direction of landing then,Crosswind - Turn left 90 degrees and fly over the far runway end then,Downwind - Turn left 90 degrees and fly parallel to the runway in the opposite direction of landing until passing the end of the runway to land on then,Base - Turn left 90 degrees (or a little more than 90 degrees) and then,Final - Turn towards the landing end of the runway.I hope this helps.ToddEdit: Others have already posted duplicate info so sorry for more of the same.

Todd...Dave's problem is he is being told to land on a runway whose heading means he is landing with the wind behind him...not in front as it should be...I don't think this has anything to do with the classic traffic pattern " downwind leg "

Phil Densley

Ok Phil but he did say he was being told by ATC to "Enter Downwind Runway 08" and he did not state he was told to land with the wind.Dave??? :-)Todd

I refer the honourable gentleman to my second post? Perhaps I didn't tile this question correctly.

Dave Taylor gb.png

>Todd...Dave's problem is he is being told to land on a runway>whose heading means he is landing with the wind behind>him...not in front as it should be...I don't think this has>anything to do with the classic traffic pattern " downwind leg>"No, he wasn't instructed to land on a runway he was instructed to enter a traffic pattern for the runway.

I give up..............:-(

Dave Taylor gb.png

Lol, Dave perhaps you can restate the command you

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Hi,Assuming you are bring told exactly what you wrote in this thread title, you are not being cleared to land. That clearance would be "cleared to land 26". Using the clearance you put in your title to land is the easiest way to bust your license :) What you wrote is a standard clearance to join the traffic pattern on the downwind leg. You then fly the downwind leg, followed by a base leg, and then a final leg to land (which is upwind). Bruce

Guest wji

"Enter downwind runway 08"Wow, I'm glad you didn't get a realworld instruction like "Cross mid-field to join downwind for 08" or it would have really thrown you for loop.[/font size] :-)