Sign in to follow this  
TC1

Terrain Extended Levels

In the FS9 configuration file there is a line called out as Terrain_Extended_Levels= . In reviewing a number of posts found in both this and the old/new FSX forum I have seen numbers for this line of code as low as 0 and as high as 232. My question is what function does the line support in FS9 and how do you deteremine what is the correct number for your simulator?ThanksTom

If you do a quick search of the forums for terrain_extended_radius it should lead to some posts describing what these values do. From what I've read, anything over 4 produces no results, so 4 is your best bet.

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Thanks Brian,I have gone throught a number of the posts found on this site and I agree that 4 is good number. Where I got confussed was that when I reviewed the Koorby's 2 Minute Performance Tweaking Guide (V3) found under the VOZ FS9 Forum he recommends a setting of 232. I just trying to determine what the benefits are of having such a large number.Tom

Hi Tom,placebo effects are alive and well in the FS world ;-)The "Bible" for these and other terrain settings in the FS9.cfg is Joachim Buhre's 500-page documentation. It's available here - http://www.jobia.de/ or direct as http://www.germany-vfr.de/Jobia/lcdokupdf/lcdokupdf.zip - but requires knowledge of German (though some of the illustrations are self-explanatory).His tests prove that the maximum values for the three parametersTERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=are 4. Higher values don't do any harm, they just get interpreted as 4.Keep in mind that setting TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS to higher than ~3.5 also influences the terrain mesh display and can lead to light blue slivers ("mesh tearing") in the mid to far distance. That can be minimized with the use of buffer mesh files but only FSGlobal and FSG offer global coverage of those files.Cheers, Holger

Holger,Thanks for your great answer! And your right, my German is not very good.Thanks again,Tom

Guest Zevious Zoquis

wow, I'd sure be interested in reading that. I guess theres no english translation around anywhere eh?