Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

FS9 scenery or terrain problem.

I wonder if someone can help, please, with an irritating problem I've had with FS9 as long as I can remember. When flying above 15000 feet I see a sudden change in ground texture with straight lines occurring, which move away as I approach. My screenshots are too large to upload directly but I've given a couple of links to Pufile to show what I mean.6912292295.jpg6912275292.jpgMy computer is an AMD Athlon64 3000+, 1GB of PC3200 DDR RAM and a Geforce 6600GT, 128MB, AGP.Would a graphics card upgrade to, say a 7600 with more memory help?The terrain section of my FS9.cfg file has the following entries:-[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=232I'd be grateful for any advice on how to cure or minimise this annoying effect.ThanksIain Smith

Hi Iian,every FS9 user has the same issue; it's the switch from the detailed landscape (using vector and polygon data) to a simplified landscape using only generic land- and waterclass texture tiles. You already have TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES active, which is the only setting that has an influence on the loaction of that (moving) boundary.It becomes more pronounced with the use of replacement ground and water textures. Thus, the only way to minimize it is to revert to the default textures. Since that's not very appealing to those who prefer non-default textures (myself included) the options are to (a) set max visibility to 60 miles or less (:( increase cloud cover, or © ignore it.Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger. I suppose that knowing it is the norm for FS9 makes it easier to ignore. I'll reduce visibility as you suggest.CheersIain

I think also the simplified terrain only uses the default landclass and waterclass files as the basis for selecting the terrain colors, so any addon landclass or waterclass files being used in the detailed zone could contribute to the obvious boundary.scott s..

Guest PARADISE

You can search Avsim for the TextureMaxLoad tweaks posts that are available. It may take some time to do because every system is different and none of the values in the tweaks are set in stone.After implementing these tweaks and trying different settings in Flight Environment I have eliminated these problems for 95% of the time. The only time I may have these texture lines are at sunset/sunrise.If you have the time, tweaking your FS9.cfg file can eliminate a lot of these problems.JohnM

>You can search Avsim for the TextureMaxLoad tweaks posts that>are available. It may take some time to do because every>system is different and none of the values in the tweaks are>set in stone.>After implementing these tweaks and trying different settings>in Flight Environment I have eliminated these problems for 95%>of the time. The only time I may have these texture lines are>at sunset/sunrise.>If you have the time, tweaking your FS9.cfg file can eliminate>a lot of these problems.Thanks JohnM, I'll give that a try. I have made some changes to the cfg file but I'm game to try some more!Iain

Just to let y'all know that I searched this forum for cfg tweaks and found some useful posts. I've done as they suggested and thigs are a great deal better. Thanks to everyone for the help. :-) Iain