Sign in to follow this  
Guest over and out

does FS9 benifit from duo cores?

Guest over and out

How does FS9 run on the new duo core machines? I read somewhere that FSX for example does not take advantage of the Do core system. Since FS9 was developed long before the duo cores, does it run well on them? In other words, with all things being equal if I got one of the new duo core systems would I see a high jump in my frame rates. Now I

I think you will see a definite benefit on FS9. In fact you'd probably be able to max it out completely. Others here who have dual cores will probably confirm.Dual/Quad core is the future, whether we like it or not. So you're going to have to confront this change sooner or later.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest Airtime

>How does FS9 run on the new duo core machines? I read>somewhere that FSX for example does not take advantage of the>Do core system. Since FS9 was developed long before the duo>cores, does it run well on them? In other words, with all>things being equal if I got one of the new duo core systems>would I see a high jump in my frame rates. Now I

Guest DocW

At least for me, upgrading from a 3,4 Ghz System to the smallest C2duo and a new GFX card (see my specs in the sig)improved performance a lot. I can max out all settings with my addons now(PMDG and FS2crew and some Airports). So I would highly recommend investing in a core2duo. I was in the same boat as airtime, hoping to improve my performance for FSX but I am not satiesfied with it.I am no computer gig so I cannot explain why this happens, but if fs9 does not take advantage of the dual core cpu, the system obviously does.

Although FS9 isn't really being helped (directly) by the second CPU, there are many significant architecture improvements in the new intel dual core CPUs that make them run much, much faster than their P-4 predecessors at the same clock speeds.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest over and out

Well this is good to know. Because like I said, I would rather get a computer upgrade knowing that I could max out FS9 and run it top end instead of spending all that money just to settle for FSX at low settings.I

Guest ianrivaldosmith

Does setting fs9 to use only one of the 2 cores benefit fs9, or is it better to let it use both at once?(i.e setting cpu affinity)Ian

Guest DocW

just checked this the very moment now and did not notice any difference.

Guest neslesman

I'm new (6 months) to computer gaming/simming and never had a computer that wasn't an old clunker. I couldn't spell nurd a year ago and now I are one according to friends. I did a lot of research, mostly here, and bought my first power computer and have never looked back. You can see my specs below. I have everything maxed out essentially, locked my FPS at 27, applied quite a few tweaks here and there and she is as smooth as a sows belly and as crisp as a pork rind.I had treated myself to a reward for stopping smoking and have bought the computer and about $700 worth of addons (much cheaper than smoking BTW) so I have most of the usual must haves running all the time. My brother in law also added a bunch of his stuff when he was staying with us for a while and didn't have a computer so I've almost got the full Monty. 70 Gb worth. The computer also runs cool with the Core 2 and 7900 GS so that's not been an issue. One day down the road I will probably even overclock it but I've a 4 year in home warranty and am in no rush.You will not regret buying a Core 2 and I suspect it will perform far beyond your expectations as it has for me, and that's a rare treat in life.Oh yeah, when I received a copy of FSX for my birthday last mongth I not so graciously didn't load it and exchanged it for some hardware bells and a whistle.

Guest over and out

This may be a silly question but is it possible to use two computers networked to get better performance from FS9?The reason being is that on EBay I can a used computer like mine for about a few hundred bucks. And for that price it would be worth it if I could network them somehow to get better overall performce.Would this be a pseudo-duo core somehow?I know that may be a stupid question.:-roll

JSC:The only stupid questions are those not asked :-)The only benefit to networking two computers is to run your addons (i.e. ATC, weather, map, etc) on the second computer while FS9 runs alone on the first computer.Now, prior to having a dual-core PC I saw great benefit to this and it really helped with stuttering in RC4 and Activesky updates. However, post dual-core, I no longer see any benefit at all since I am able to run it all on one PC and have FS9 maxed out in all its glory with neer a hickup. You would see far, far, far more benefit from a Duocore or high end AMD dual-core than you would a second computer networked to the first.So the bottom line is that the benefits in FS9 are negligible with the state-of-the-art. Now, if you are running FSX you will need all the help you can get and I would highly recommend offloading as much as possible to a second PC.Hope this helps a littleMike T.

Guest neslesman

I use two monitors for the sim and despite the fact I have my old computer networked in I still primarily use the old computer for charts, internet access while flying and manuals, manuals, and more manuals. I'm surprised we don't see more discussion about manuals but I sure know it's sure handy to have them right there and open anytime I need them without disturbing the flight.

Guest over and out

So how does this work on two computers?Do you install active sky on the 2nd computer with FS9 on the first, for example?How do the various addons get set to run through the second computer to fee up resources for the first?Is there a write up somewhere on how to do this?Again, it would be much cheeper to get a used computer for a while before getting a brand new duo core, plus my wife would be less to give me one those looks when I tell her I'm buying more stuff for my simulator! ;)

I use a similar setup: main FS9 computer with two monitors and an older one for the rest of FS related stuff. Both on a network. How does it work? Through WideFS by Peter Dawson. One of the best investments I made for FS. :)http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlI have ActiveSky, Radar Contact 4, FS Flight Keeper, Flight Deck Companion, AI Smooth, nDac, all of them running on this secondary computer and I can't imagine going back to a one rig setup. It is fairly simple to set everything up, WideFS comes with extensive documentation and so do other programs like ActiveSky and RC, for example. I am in the process of building a new computer for FS although the one I am using now isn't all that bad. I was toying with the idea to have two FS boxes synchronizing FS through Wideview, but decided against it. I'll rather beef up the "WideFS machine" as I call it. :)Regards,Jure

Guest over and out

Do you run FS9 in window mode or full screen when you run the addons on the other computer?