Sign in to follow this  

C208 POH

Guest estevesm

Hello fellow simmers!I'm looking for the Operating Handbook for the default fs2k2 caravan on wheels. The only things I know are: "don't let the gauges go over the red line" and "330 PPH" is good... :(Any help would be greatly appreciated!Marcelo

I believe there's a checklist available for the Caravan and many other aircraft here in the AVSIM library.Rick

Guest estevesm

Thanks Rick! I found it in AVSIM although the ZIP file seems to be corrupted (at least I can't unzip it using WinZip). I'll see if I can get it to work from my home pc.RegardsMarcelo

Guest estevesm

(Hi! I'm another Fedex Caravan Pilot! FS only not YET real world ;-)I took a look at the file in AVSIM lib but, although it contains relevant information, I could not find the performance charts there. Do you happen to have those? Or know where I can find them?Many thanksMarcelo

I've the whole manual, i'm not going to give it to you but if there are some numbers u want i'll give them to you. tell me exactly what you want to know.

Guest Moghdad

Oh cool. Do you fly a Caravan in RL? How does the FS version measure up?If you have time I would like to know the V speeds, approach, glide speeds, some usual cruise power settings along with TAS and fuel burn, takeoff and landing data, etc.Thanks!

Guest estevesm

I'd like to know some basic power settings for t/o, climb, cruise and descent. Max speed vs normal vs economy cruise if you have time of course.Many thanks once again!Marcelo

This from my kneeboard, whcih I think was actually written by FedEx Caravan Pilot.Just copy and paste it into the `notes` page and you're setFrom my more than 600 hours in the real Caravan, here's what I can remember... I fly the default Caravan off these numbers, and it works just fine. The only thing I find wrong is it doesnt slow down as fast as the real airplane. In the real Caravan, ESPECIALLY the ones with the composite prop, when you go to flight idle the airplane STOPS! Anywho...Takeoff: 1865lbs of torque. You will notice a little red line in about the 4 o'clock position on the guage. In the real airplane, it says "T.O." in little letters.. Climb: About 1600lbs of torque. Also check your ITT.. Climb, Cruise, and Decent ITT limit is 740, so whatever torque setting keeps under that.Cruise: anywhere between 1400 and 1600lbs.. Most of the time we run our Caravans at 1450. That keeps the ITT below 700, and gives you right at 160kts. Also, we never moved the prop from 1900rpm...Decent: Hauling cargo, we were always "balls to the walls", but about 1200lbs of torque will keep you below redline at 500'/minute down.Approach: here's where it gets tricky. about 1200-1500 lbs of torque when your at your initial approach altitude. You can put flaps 10 all the way up to red line, so put them out before you reach the outer marker. When you intercept the glideslope, power back to 1000 and LEAVE it there. Throw out flaps 20 at 150, and flaps 30 at 125. It should keep you on the glideslope in about the 100kt range. We would normally shoot approaches in the 120/130kt range... I think alot of people's problem is flying the Caravan TOO slow in FS.Landing: There is no formula for that.... just chop the power and PRAY!The PT-6 has a BIG lag in them, and you have to be ahead of it. When you make power settings, go to a value you know works and leave it there. Hunting power settings in the real Caravan will get you killed on approach.Anywho, I hope this helps! I miss flying the real airplane, and MS did a good job (in my opinion) on their Caravan!ChasW

Guest estevesm

Thanks ChasW!I was using most of the settings described, with the exception of keeping the prop at 1900. I thought reducing it a bit would improve its performance in the thin air...I'll try these settings this weekend and see if I can fly the caravan.Many thanksMarcelo

I don't have my info manual with me, I am not flying the Caravan anymore, I start Learjet 24 simulator training tomorrow.I will give you the speeds and powersettings the best I can remember, when I get home I will get the manual out and get that info for you.This is from a post I posted a few months back.On any turboprop engine you have torque, temp, and engine rpm limits. on takoff push the power up untill you either torque out or temp out. rotate at 75 climb at 500 feet a minute unless atc asks for something else. the climb is the same. for cruise and descent I pull the prop back to 1850 rpm and use 1500 pounds torque, 700 degrees, or 100 percent engine rpm, whatever happens first.flying approaches in the caravan i use 10 flaps, 1100 pounds torque gives you 120 kts, for the ILS bring the prop back to max and about 700 pounds torque will maintain 120 kts.Here's the link to the post, there is more info here:http://www.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...ID8&archive=yes

Guest estevesm

Hey Fedex_Caravan_Pilot!Thanks for the info! The interesting thing is that I was doing something very similar to what you described in your email. The difference is that I had to do a "trial-and-error" approach. But the "keep everything in the green arcs, below any redline" is a good start I guess.I'm a skydiver and I usually jump from Caravans, so I'll ask to go in the cockpit next time so I can take a look at what's going on...RgdsMarcelo

My password doesn't work anymore, guess avsim can't stand REAL caravan pilots helping flight simming pilots out.I will send you any info you want after I finish my Learjet simulator training this sunday.Email me, 208pilot@usa.comFedEx_Caravan_Pilot