Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Contacting Cloud9??

Anyone here got any experience of Cloud9 support - either way? I've got a KLAX issue and can't get help. Seems the forum is only available for posting if you're registered, and I can't get an activation response back from them.I haven't heard back from emails either, but maybe they're one of those Monday to Friday office hours developers?

Hi Phil,I too had a problem with C9 LAX and what I found out was that C9's system needs a little tweaking but it works. First , Did you register in the forum? If not you should. No they are not M-F as far as support but it takes a little while.You might want to describe your problem with LAX here. Maybe one of those who use the product have an answer for you. DO you have the CD version or download?.I'll shoot from the hip here since I don't know what you have. My problem was that I was not entering it key exactly as given. I was transposing a "1" where it should have been an "I", and an"o" where it should have been a "0". it makes a difference if you get one wrong. Alberto can test it and if it doesn't work can work with you to correct it. If that isn't your problem, and you can't get your answer by posting to the forum, be specific as to your issue and maybe I can help you.monnieBest regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)HP Media CenterPentium D 2.80 GHz Duel core2.00 GB RAMNVIDIA GeForce 6200SEConexant Falcon II NTSCXP SP2

Hi MonnieThanks for the detailed and thought out response. Yes i have registered on the forum, twice in fact, as i assumed the first had gone 'pear shaped'. I used a different user name & email for second, thinking the issue might be an MSN email address. Had auto response to both, but alas..... no activation emails. Guess i'll just have to wait for an email.The problem i have is that my version of KLAX has taken it upon itself, to revert back to 'TRIAL' mode. Sadly, this means only they can help me. I've tried every single thing mentioned by others on the forum, plus all items listed in the Installation/Reactivation Guide.Bit of a %^&$ really, as it's my virtual home base. Mind you, that's probably a bit silly being as i'm currently in London UK;-) thanks again

"Bit of a %^&$ really, as it's my virtual home base. Mind you, that's probably a bit silly being as i'm currently in London UK;-)"Alberto is a hard working man, but I'm pretty sure that you won't have to wait too long. I'm pretty happy wit LAX so far. Course, I haven't have time to mess it up yet:-)I was lucky enough to be accepted in a VA today. (SWVA). I live in Indianapolis, Indiana and my home base is Dallas, Texas. SCared to death but, I'm looking forward to learning from them. At least I can fly home sometimes in a reasonable amount of time. You must drink alot of tea when you fly from LA to home :-)Hope you get you problem solved real soon and sorry I could not help you. Best regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)HP Media CenterPentium D 2.80 GHz Duel core2.00 GB RAMNVIDIA GeForce 6200SEConexant Falcon II NTSCXP SP2

Do you have any spam filters? If you can't get an activation mail, then perhaps it's being blocked. My activation mail came from info {at} fscloud9 {dot} com. Try adding it to your safe lists, if that's applicable.I assume you have tried a fresh install? And is it really in trial mode? Have you loaded up the sim at KLAX? Sometimes Cloud9 sceneries produce a message that this or that scenery is not active (yet). Even though it is. Also make sure you have the latest version of their Addon Manager: http://www.fscloud9.com/php/products.php?lang=EN&id=87.

Mike...

What's wrong with being a "Monday to Friday office hours developer"?Do you work 24/7?

I didn't say there was anything wrong in being a Mon-Fri developer. Read it again - it was a question, not a statement.I have now had an email back from Cloud9 saying i have tried to activate KLAX on too many machines. They have even sent me a list of IP addresses, apparently proving this!I have a home network of 3 machines, but FS9 is only installed on one of these - my main PC.I assume from this email they are now unwilling to help me. Ho, hum, here we go again......;)

Ya know - this is the same "tie it to the hardware" policy that Microsoft is now trying to force on the world. One can't fiscally equate a small company like C9 with Microsoft, but the impact on the consumer is the same. MS could quite easily continue with the XP security system which they've used since day one - and have a growing number of happy consumers moving right along to Vista. Instead the've chosen to create a large number of somewhat angry, disgruntled, confused and rebellious customers who are being dragged "forward". Back to our "world" - like many I've always been suspicious of Captain Sim; I've always been suspicious of Cloud9: and it's because of the attitude and manner with which they treat their customers on their respective forums, and it's the little tidbits of negative "happenings" like this one that makes me feel this way. In fairness to Cloud9 - it has always been a pleasure to read the responses by Virtuali. He has been most gentlemanly and professional in pretty much every post I've read. He's not "quick to judge: he doesn't insinuate that you're stupid, or that you're a crook. When I had to "re-activate" after a BSoD the process went smoothly and took just 24 hours, so I have no complaints about their email system thus far. When you tie software to the underlying hardware you make it almost impossible for a non-savvy computer user to use that software for more than a few months, because it's the nature of our pc's to do bad things from time to time. The less savvy one is - the more often this happens. You eventually give up trying to "re-activate" it because of all the hoops like the OP is going through now. Most of the developer groups are VERY savvy pc users, and have a distinct advantage over us mortals. It means they can control who can use their software, when, on what pc, for how long, etc. Excercising that control in a manner which causes distress to the client makes the difference between success and failure if their business. Some payware developers don't understand this.It's all too bad. It's a shame that what should be a positive, happy and enjoyable hobby is marred by these random, disappointing incidents - policies like this one - and the ongoing controversy around Vista and FSX. To get on with life and end on a positive note, though - a great big "Thank You" to the teams of Real Air, Flight Scenery, ActiveSky, FlyTampa, FlightOntario, Holger(et al), MAAMsim, DreamFleet, Flight1, UT, GE, TrackIR, LongIslandClassics, SibWings, DigitalAviation, PMDG, Rick Piper, FSNav, FDC, Matt Fox, including the many that are not mentioned here, pay and freeware devs - and, I suppose Microsoft for sticking with the sim over the last twenty years or so! All rounded off by another big Thank You to Tom and his team here at Avsim, for this forum and your support to us.:)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Nice post there PJ. It is indeed all too easy to get sucked into negative feelings about a small minority of software suppliers, whilst forgetting that the many, many other addons are all just quietly getting on with the job in hand.I do find it quite insulting though, that just because a company's software SAYS x, y or z, that it's always necessarily has to be the case. After all, we all know just how reliable and accurate the Windows User Error messages are....NOTMakes me grateful though for the combination or work and trust used by the majority of other vendors.Being very ill most of the time, i try my best not to allow petty stuff to affect my thinking

:)Yeah - I have LAX and like it very much, too. I think they made a real nice job. At this moment all I can suggest is for you to hang in there, and hope that Alberto or Virtuali will straighten out your problem to your mutual satisfaction. Let us know how it unfolds. Regards,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I had a problem with reactivation of KLAX and EHAM today.I sent an email to Cloud9's support division and got an answer (from Elio Brambilla) within three hours, although it is Sunday.They helped me pointing to what I should do, which I successfully did.The mistake was on my side.So I would call it a fine support.Best regards,Rafal

I'm delighted to report that i once again have Cloud9 KLAX back on my system.Albeit a rather slow email conversation, Cloud9 have reset the server for my account.What a shame that developers and vendors have to go to such extremes in order to protect against piracy.

>In fairness to Cloud9 - it has always been a>pleasure to read the responses by Virtuali. He has been most>gentlemanly and professional in pretty much every post I've>read. He's not "quick to judge: he doesn't insinuate that>you're stupid, or that you're a crook.I thank you for your comments: I've designed the activation system that Cloud9 use, so even if I'm not technically part of Cloud9, I always felt the obligation to help.A couple of notes about the system itself: there are two things not entirely related to it, and those are licensing policies, and actual hardware checks.The licensing policy is "how many" activations you'll get for each order, the system doesn't know anything about it, is set on the server by the publisher that use the system (Cloud9, in this case), it can change for every product, and it can change for every order, and it can also retroactively change even after an order has been made.For example, since more than 80% of users got a 2nd reactivation anyway (inside the 90 days period), Cloud9 recently decided to switch to 2 activations per order. Unfortunately, they didn't advertize that a lot.If this system would be used by another publisher in the future (and it surely will), they'll be free to offer other licensing rules, without the system having to be changed.The actual hardware checks, what you can and you can't change without triggering an hardware check, instead, are entirely out our control, because are done by Esellerate. I chose to do this, because I don't want to improvise myself as a security expert, by designing an "homebrew" activation system from scracth. I decided to simply go with the best in the industry, and Esellerate offers a true and tested system (even outside the boundaries of the small flight sim market) and a reliable server infrastructure, with redudancy and plenty of bandwidth, not something that will, for example, risk going down the day of the release of a new product, with customers not being able to activate because of this.Also, it's very important to note that, a typical fear of users of an activation system is "what about my license if the developer disappears ?". By using Esellerate, we can offer an additional warranty on this, because their system WILL keep granting automatic activations, at least every 90 days, even if the original developer would disappear, going bankrupt or cease business for any other reason. Products will still automatically reactivate forever, thanks to the automatic 90 days grace period.And, I would like to point out that, the small liberty you lose when using an activation system, that in the end really means risking not being able to use a product in the weekend (if the email support is not available 24/7) if you change hardware more frequently than once every 90 days with a product that has only 1 activation per order, will give back to you, the user, the ability to TRY the product first, something that has been asked for ages in the flightsim market, and using such selling system is the only way to offer that feature.I would choose any day the "risk" of not being able to use the product for a day or two when updating hardware (under specific circumstances), over the much bigger "risk" of having to buy something without having tested it first on *my* system.Umberto Colapicchioni - VIRTUALI