Sign in to follow this  
Guest GiZBUG

IL-2 Sturmovik Performance Question

I built my dad a PC last year and he is currently hooked on Combat Flight Sim 3. It runs well on his system although I don't have all sliders anymore than at 'average' settings. He asked me whether there are any other good combat type sims available. I was thinking of getting him IL-2. Just wondering how it might run his system though... Specs:AMD Tbird 800 MHZ512 MB RAM PC133GeForce 2 GTS 128MBAny input greatly appreciated!ThanksJohn-Paul

Wow, you can get CFS3 to run on that rig? I'm impressed! I've got a 1.4Ghz Athlon with 512mb DDR RAM, and I still don't like the way CFS3 runs on it! As a long-time IL2 flyer, I'd say definitely give it a try. I ran it on a 900Mhz Athlon classic for a few months, and it worked fine. In general, my experience has been that if CFS3 runs on a given machine, IL2 will really fly. By the way, don't know if you're aware of it, but the successor to IL2 called "Forgotten Battles" is set to appear in stores this week. It's got everything IL2 had and a lot more. You might want to give it to your pop for a try. I guarantee he'll love it.thanks,

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Hey, well CFS3 doesn't run on his machine to suit me! He doesn't notice the hickups he says... its not bad tho... I will try IL-2 then, maybe the new one. CFS3 runs much better on my machine which has an Athlon XP 2000, 512G RAM PC2700 and a GF4 Ti4400 (128m)cardThanks for the input

Guest Bigshot

Don't forget CFS2. That'll run on his putter with no problems and it's a great pacific sim for the casual simmer. IL2 is scalable and runs in OpenGL, so he should do ok with it.

Thanks for the info... he had CFS2 for a while and liked it... but he likes CFS3 a lot better... think he likes shootin at Germans and I know he likes the European aircraft better... I wll give IL2 a shot...

Guest JonP01

You can always try the IL-2 demo first, which is a something you can't do with a Microsoft sim. I have found IL2 to be extremely memory and GPU intensive. Even on a Geforce Ti 4600, just turning on either the anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering, even to their lowest levels results in a considerable performance hit. With any of the Microsoft sims, I can enable both AA and AF with little performance hit, if any (effectively no performance hit in FS2002 on account of the frame rate limiter). But as the other posters pointed out, if your father is happy with CFS3, then he will be more than happy with IL2 or FB. Don't mention the fact to your father that he can't see the low fps or any stutters. There more you mention it, the more likely he is to start noticing them. Then he'll want a faster computer.

>You can always try the IL-2 demo first, which is a something >you can't do with a Microsoft sim. I have found IL2 to be >extremely memory and GPU intensive. Even on a Geforce Ti >4600, just turning on either the anti-aliasing or >anisotropic filtering, even to their lowest levels results >in a considerable performance hit. With any of the Microsoft >sims, I can enable both AA and AF with little performance >hit, if any (effectively no performance hit in FS2002 on >account of the frame rate limiter). But as the other posters >pointed out, if your father is happy with CFS3, then he will >be more than happy with IL2 or FB. Don't mention the fact to >your father that he can't see the low fps or any stutters. >There more you mention it, the more likely he is to start >noticing them. Then he'll want a faster computer. I completely disagree!!I used to run IL-2 on my 1,3ghz T-bird with a Hercules GF2 64mb Pro cardf and 512mb of PC133 and it ran as smooth as glass with all settings maxed (except stencil buffer).IL-2 was designed to run on "most" average computers. If yours doesn't run like water on your computer Jon you might have a comflict somewhere. That is really wierd!:(Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest JonP01

Performance is an extremely subjective thing. What some people consider smooth other people consider rather average, or even poor. With specific regard to IL2, the fact that it runs fine on my system without AA or AF enabled simply points to my video card having rather less bandwidth and a somewhat more restrictive memory bus than I would otherwise prefer, rather than an inherent problem with the system per se.

Guest SlimDady

If u can get cfs3 to run decent enough for sure u can get il-2its alot faster then cfs 3

I used to run IL-2 on a 1ghz Athlon with 256MB RAM and a Voodoo 5 5500. It needed a little tweaking but it ran fine. The only slowdowns I experienced was when flying over cities and large towns.IL-2 runs exceptionally well compared to most other sims, and not only that, it flies just as well as it looks. The flight models are are in league of their own :)I've been flight simming for about 12 years now, and my tastes have included jet fighter sims, prop sims, helicopter sims, civilian sims... and IMHO IL-2 is the finest combat flight sim ever produced. I liked it so much I've pre-ordered "Forgotten Battles" which is due to be released here in the UK on 14th March.

Guest GiZBUG

>I built my dad a PC last year and he is currently hooked on >Combat Flight Sim 3. It runs well on his system although I >don't have all sliders anymore than at 'average' settings. >He asked me whether there are any other good combat type >sims available. I was thinking of getting him IL-2. Just >wondering how it might run his system though... Specs: >>AMD Tbird 800 MHZ >512 MB RAM PC133 >GeForce 2 GTS 128MB >>Any input greatly appreciated! >>Thanks >John-Paul No offense, but tell him that CFS3 is FAR from a realistic sim. It's eyecandy. The flight models are a joke. Get him hooked on something realistic (cough il2 cough)