Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidvoogd

Maddog 2006

Guest davidvoogd

I was just wondering if some owners (note - those who own it :() of the Maddog 2006 package could answer a few of my questions.1. How would you compare it, in terms of total features, quality of presentation, authenticity etc, with some of the other favourite jet addons, such as the LDS767, PMDG737, Flight1 ATR. If possible could you compare specific things that make the MD80 as good or better than these? As I already own all of these, is there anything that sets the MD80 apart from them, in terms of an addon (I know its a different airplane lol)?2. What is the learning curve to using it.3. What are the framerates like? How do they compare to other big addons, do you see any drops?4. I read it has a good sound environment, could someone elaborate on this?5. Are there any special features that make it that much more realistic?6. For anyone who has used support, how did you find it?7. Could someone please post some screenshots, especially of the main panel?8. I read through the manuals, it seems to indicate that all the lighting intensity is fully adjustable, not just on or off, is that the case?9. How well does the weather radar work, does it have an impact on framerates?10. Is there any persistant damage modelling, ie overpowering the engines will cause damage over time, tire wear etc.

Guest daniel.alm

1. Feature wise it's at least on par with the add-ons you mentioned. All systems are simulated. One thing that sets it apart is the terrain and weather radar. Also one nice feature is the possibility to fly online with another pilot as PF and PNF, thus really simulating the procedures of this aircraft.2. Well, it's already my third hardcore MD-82. The first one was the MadMax, the second one the Maddog2004 and now the Maddog2006. And even with all the experience I need to read the documentation again and start slowly. So the curve is steep but the documentation is excellent.3. Framerates are excellent on my system, I've an Athlon 64 4200X2, 2GB DDR RAM and a X1900XTX. With the add-on sceneries from ISD, all details on high and 50% traffic, I get always 30 fps (capped).4. Well, it sounds good and the sounds were recorded in a real MD-82 cockpit. I like it.5. See number 1. Also there's realistic icing and runway conditions in rain and snow do make a difference.6. I didn't get my download link at first and had to wait almost 24 hours. I've then contacted support via PM in their forum and got the download link and activation key within 10 minutes. So it's good from what I can tell. Also the support of the 2004 version was excellent.7. I think someone already did that in the screenshots forum.8. Yes, that's right.9. I didn't see any but people with weaker PC's might have a different experience.10. I didn't try that yet tbh, but the 2004 version had hot starts. I think I read somewhere that you can also overheat your brakes. And there's the possibility of random failures using the control center.I hope that helps!

A few answers, have done just a few flights.1. At least as good as the ones you mention. The main thing that sets it apart IMO is the separate Control panel through which you can control ground events from attaching ground power to performing a de-ice. You also have easy control over failures for most of the systems.2. Depends on your previous experience. It

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Any idea if they'll go with a US distributor so it's not as expensive for those of us in the States?

Guest SilverCircle

>1. How would you compare it, in terms of total features,>quality of presentation, authenticity etc, with some of the>other favourite jet addons, such as the LDS767, PMDG737,>Flight1 ATR. If possible could you compare specific things>that make the MD80 as good or better than these? As I already>own all of these, is there anything that sets the MD80 apart>from them, in terms of an addon (I know its a different>airplane lol)?Well, overall, I would say, the Maddog 2006 can compete with these few top class addons. System modeling is very comprehensive and detailed. The best way to figure out how detailed would be to download and read the manuals from the maddog site.The only thing which may be a concern for some people is the fact that it currently lacks a VC. This may or may not be a big issue for you. According to the developers, the VC will appear with a future (free) patch. Same goes for the FSX update which will be free and available within the next weeks (again, this has been said by the devs).Feature-wise it has a lot of things to offer and the attention to detail is remarkable. Some unique features you will rarely find in another add-on:* EGPWS (colorized terrain display on the ND).* Multicrew mode. 2 maddog panels can be linked via network in order to fly the plane as a crew. There are separate captain and f/o panels with independent controls and instruments.* comprehensive icing simulation with impressive attention to detail (e.g. when you tell the ground crew to de-ice the plane, small ice particles will remain on the wipers and edges of the windscreen).* ground operations (pushback, refueling, connect + disconnect ground power, air, repair failures etc.).* Working Windshear warning system.>2. What is the learning curve to using it.If you are experienced with complex airliners, then the learning curve should only be moderate. The MD-8x systems are, of course, different from Boeing or Airbus, but there are similarities. If you know how to use the 767 FMC, you will learn to use the MD-8x FMC easily. The MD-8x autoflight system is again different, but things like VNAV or LNAV do exist and work very much like their counterparts in a Boeing.>3. What are the framerates like? How do they compare to other>big addons, do you see any drops?Absolutely no problems. I'am running at locked 25fps and haven't seen it dropping below this. It can probably go much higher, but I prefer a steady and constant framerate, even when flying in critical areas with real weather and full traffic - so 25 is a good value for my system, which I would rate midrange.>4. I read it has a good sound environment, could someone>elaborate on this?Flight deck sounds are really great. F/O Callouts are modeled and the same goes for anything else. Even small details like >6. For anyone who has used support, how did you find it?Go to http://www.flythemaddog.com/forum/ and see for yourself. There are only few issues (and no major ones yet), and the developers usually respond very quickly. Overall, this product is in a very polished state, you won't read much complaints there. I've now done a couple of short range flights with the maddog and so far, everything was working as it should, so personally, I didn't feel the need for support (yet).>8. I read through the manuals, it seems to indicate that all>the lighting intensity is fully adjustable, not just on or>off, is that the case?Yes. It is. I've never seen a panel lighting for a 2d panel like this before. There are like 10 or more switches and knobs to adjust flood- and instrument background lighting for different areas of the panel (captains- & f/o panel, pedestral, overhead etc.). Intensity is fully adjustable for all these parts separately. Also, the setup utility allows to choose between the pink/grey and blue-ish panel look.>9. How well does the weather radar work, does it have an>impact on framerates?I would say, it works as good as a wx radar can work in MSFS. I didn't notice any impact on framerate on my system. It stays at 25 fps with or w/o the wx radar and even the EGPWS doesn't change anything here.>10. Is there any persistant damage modelling, ie overpowering>the engines will cause damage over time, tire wear etc.Not that I know of, but the failure modeling is still very good. Both random and "controlled" failures are possible. The latter one can be triggered via the control panel which is an external application and can run on a different PC (it will use a network connection with the maddog panel, so this allows something like a "instructor mode" where one person flies and another person triggers various failures).

Guest davidvoogd

Thank you for all the responses so far... I think I am sold.

>Thank you for all the responses so far... I think I am sold.I guess so am I now! :)I had similar questions to ask but now it is not necessary anymore.Maddog is one of my favourite planes ever.I was initially discouraged by the high price, but after reading all your detailed answers, gentlemen, I do find justification for the price and will probably undust my credit card today.Thanks tooBest regards,Rafal

Guest PowderBlue

This Aircraft is in a class of its own. I love the coolsky MD but as far as old birds go and the functionality and interaction of the systems this one takes the cake. Don't compare this aircraft with the Queen or the 763. Its up there as far as quality goes but the new technology and the old make these birds quite different. The price is high but it is definetly worth it. I would say though that the learning curve of this aircraft is intermediate to advanced. But the manuals are great and the tutorial is good although I did find some holes in it and this may be in part the the language difference. This is going down as my number 1 bird right now and this is the A/C I've been waiting for.

Guest Pilot533

Everyone is leaving out the visual model. Systems wise this addon beats pmdg and lds. But unlike lds it is not well rounded, the visual model is detailed but the texturing is very very poor. What I have actually done is used paint shop pro to edit the jet city textures out into the maddog2006 model, makes a huge difference because the model itself is flawless with many details and logics. It does not come with a vc and it will be a long time before we see one, my guess is around November '07. All in all it is a fantastic addon that was clearly created with painstaking effort and is an asset to anyones virtual hangar.

Not trying to start another flame war, but I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

"the visual model is detailed but the texturing is very very poor"If the model is accurate and the texture mapping is ok ....this is the least of our worries! :)I do not have this product yet (trying hard to learn my lesson never to buy a product straight away :( )

Guest Jeff Berman

Ed, for what it is worth - this is only the second time I've purchased a product on the initial release and I am pleasantly surprised at how well thought out everything went. I mean everything is there, a complete package (minus VC), no show stoppers what so ever. Even when you go to there forum there are no major complaints, most of it is pilot errors, me included this is not a jump in and fly aircraft :) Also it is only $49.01 without VAT through simmarket, for me it was very good investment for my entertainment at being a virtual pilot. Two Thumbs Up :-beerchug

Ed,At this point, having spent a few days with her (yes, I did say that I too was going to wait), I'd say go for it.So far, the largest bug I've found is described here:http://www.flythemaddog.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2517There are a few other minor, minor issues, but hey, what release is without a few ?I've really enjoyed it in spite of the issues I've seen, I'm sure you will too.

Regards,

Brian Doney

>"the visual model is detailed but the texturing is very very>poor">>If the model is accurate and the texture mapping is ok>....this is the least of our worries! :)>>I do not have this product yet (trying hard to learn my lesson>never to buy a product straight away :( ) >>

>regards>>Ed>>Yep there are some minor issues but maybe user error lol but would first wait and skip it for the time being...couldn't resist after all the positive responses :-lolDespite of missing a quality VC (which will be released FOC in 2007 so last time I try with a developer and hoping they will deliver :-))But all in all great system stuff love it learning curve for me wasn't that difficult :-)As for texture work thats the last concern mapping is ok with separate nose texture ;-)Paintkit isn't up to my own standards and as always do make my own lolWorth every euro with a FOC update VC and FSX version :-)Andr

André

Guest Jeff Berman

Andre,Can't wait for you to put your magic touch on some paints for this bird :9 You have got the touch