Sign in to follow this  
Guest TMMT

FS Genesis 306m Terrain Mesh Eastern and Western Hemisphere

Guest TMMT

You can buy both sets for $21.95 after an online discount. Does this sound like a good deal, how is the 306 meter mesh?

Guest neslesman

It will look a lot better than default but you can do the whole world for less than $100 in 76M, I know I did. I haven't looked at prices lately but if I were you I'd get less mesh at 76M because I think you are later going to wish you had.Have you tried out the freebies from FS Genesis to help you make comparisons. 76M is pretty much the normal upgrade these days IMO.Also look into the bulk packs from FSGenesis, I saw some great prices a while back. While you are visiting the site try some of the free 38M even though it wouldn't be financially realistic to do the whole world in it, it sure is nice for the mountain regions especially for free.Edit: Let me take that back. If the budget is tight, 306M for that price for both hemispheres would make a nice add on but I stil think you are better off to get one hemisphere of 76M and get some more later. As I said earlier, try the free samples and then make your decisions.

306? must have meant 30.6 (title caught my attention)this is a great deal but since i already have most of their 76m i will have to pass. honestly if i have to rebuy it, i would rather do 7m or 19m....

Guest Airtime

Glad someone mentioned FS Genesis here because I can't reach anyone at their site.Am I blind or is there no link to contact by e-mail the owner or customer support at FS Genesis? The site is "busy" (mucho links etc.), and I have searched for a contact link to no avail. I went so far as to find a thread here with Justin posting and I sent him an e-mail through Avsim ... this was 3 or more days ago, I have received no reply. It seems that FS Genesis is mostly operated through the forum, and believe me I tried to sign up for the forum but have not received a password.Bottom line: I am a prospective FSG customer but so far communication with the company has been less than comforting.Sorry to bring this up here, but maybe I'll get a direct e-mail address or some other response.AT

I posted a copy of your message on Justin's forum.Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest Airtime

>I posted a copy of your message on Justin's forum.>>Regards,>Dick BoleyThank youAT

Guest neslesman

30.6?? OK forget my earlier post, LOL LOL.If it's 30.6 buy it, I'll probably be in line right behind you. Hope you have a large hard drive.

>306? must have meant 30.6 (title caught my attention)No the original poster was correct when he said "306m".That resolution is available at FSGenesis.Todd

And for those who haven't researched it yet, 306m terrain is used for long-distance viewing. It can theoretically help with distant terrain rendering and reduce some terrain popup.I haven't tried it myself, but I am interested in hearing some thoughts!-Greg

Guest TomOOO

I got FS terrain (USA and Europe) at 38 and 76 meter mesh for

>(All mesh data is from one original data set from a >space shuttle flight, and this>fsproject and all the pay ware has converted this data from>this>single source).>Hi Tom,Actually, there are several sources for terrain mesh data. One of them is the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM). Better, more refined data for the US is is the National Elevation Dataset (NED), which comes in 30m and 10m sets. There is also an older 90m dataset put out by the USGS.As well, there is 30m and 90m INEGI for Mexico, and 90m and 23m CDED data for Canada.Besides different datasets, there are also many variables involved in differing methodologies for converting even identical source data into a finished product. All terrain products aren't necessarily created equal even if derived from the same data source.-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Guest TomOOO

JustinI stand corrected over the multiple sources of data.I am aware that payware provides some quality and assuranceto such data - hence I bought Europe and USA rather than downloadingall the SRTM data. RegardsTom