Sign in to follow this  
acmech

What is the best terrain package for fs2004?

Hello,I have Ulimate terrain but removed t from my system due to the fact t seems to slow down loadng times. Also even after some updates t stll conflicts wth one of my most favorite arports KPDX by flightscenery.com . I am considerng getting the FSGenesis US 76.4m Terrain if people feel it is better. Also, what is the default fs9 terrain level at?Thanks in advance!

you can not replace UT with FSGenesis. They are two totally different things. FSG is mesh. UT is scenery

No. Mesh is height detail. ONLY that. It doesn't say if the peak has snow on it or if at some particular area should be woods texture or city texture.Scenery doesn't give height information, but just the opposite from mesh - scenery detail, autogen positioning, roads, coastlines, lakes, and many more detail.

There should be a patch available at flightscenery.com for compatibility with UT. Also, it's important how you place your UT files in the FS9 scenery file selection. Your UT scenery should go below all the "air photo" scenery files.I suggest Ground Environment Pro to make everything look better. It replaces all textures everywhere, gives you great looking auto-gen, and fantastic night lighting.Genesis mesh is fantastic but, as mentioned, only handles elevation points. But what a difference it makes! Mountains look like mountains. Go to fsgenesis.com and try their free 76 meter mesh of BC, Canada and the 38 meter mesh Vancouver Island. Easy install and you'll be blown away!GE + UT + Genesis mesh = FS9 Deluxe.This is what GE Pro will do.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/horsesass/GEc-130.jpgThis is GE Pro + Mesh + UT + Flight Environment.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/horsesass/best2.jpg

There simply is nothing better than Ultimate Terrain used in conjunction Ground Evironment Pro. Together they are the reason I (and many, many others) see no reason to switch to FSX as they bring FS9 to life within the absolute limit of FS9If UT is too much for you then you can come close with GE Pro and Genesis Landclass and the old FS Road package. The only difference is that you will not get the magnificant UT night lighting. Mesh scenery is not included in any of the above packages. FS Genesis Mesh is the best out there and that is also a must have.

What's your opinion of GE Pro vs Bird's Eye View, whch I have had for quite a while--might need a late St. Pat's day present. :>)

Eric,What bi-plane is that. It looks like a beautiful panel. Thanks,Scott

Acmech,Don't forget to try the Genesis mesh freebies!http://portal.fsgenesis.net/index.php?name...wdownload&cid=1As I said, try the free British Columbia 76 meter and the Vancouver 38 meter. The mountain terrain really comes alive. The Vermont and Maine 38 meter terrain is also really nice. I have both Canada and the US UT packages, and with GE Pro and UT on top of lots of mesh, it's outstanding.Test it out. Re-install UT and get some free mesh for the country it covers, find the right settings to get decent FPS, and guaranteed you'll have an fantastic flight.

Thanks guys(-:!Although, nobody :-dohreally answered if FSGenesis US 76.4m Terrain if would be any good.Also, what is the default fs9 terrain level at:-hmmm?I have FSGenesis landclass and GE pro ground textures:-hah.The comb is a nice mix :-ufo2. I just want the terrain to look better:-bigangel. Also, in ulitmate terrain is there a way to change the color:-bluegrab of the lights that represent light poles or street lights. I know you:-kewl can choose the option in Ulitmate terrain but I don't like the effect .They look different colors almost like a large christmas tree effect:-sun1.I almost rather not have them :-abductsince the lights pop up all over the place which looks rather strange:-grnmd.

"Although, nobody really answered if FSGenesis US 76.4m Terrain if would be any good."You got an answer. The answer was yes. Try the freebies and see for yourself.Scott,The bi-plane is the JustFlight Tiger Moth 30-day demo. Very nice but way too expensive to buy, $40+ US funds.

Guest TomOOO

The original terrain mesh for fs9 is about 1.2 km (1200 meter).Most mesh you can buy is 76m, ie FS Global (world), FS Terrain (Europe and US), though some areas are 36m. There is a technical limit within FS9 of about 10m I believe - thoughsomeone can correct me on this. All of these mesh are basedon the same set of original data from a measurement from ashuttle flight. You can get this "raw" data free from a site,though it contains a number of uncorrected problems, and comesin small sections that need to be all downloaded and installedmanually. The pay ware - you pay for the nice installation andthe bad bits corrected. In particular, there were problems in thealps with the original data.As for UT you uninstalled - you are probably unique withinthe FS world for not keep liking the results of this add on. RegardsTom