Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

Abacus Platinum Collection Connie any good?

The Constellation from abacuspub.com looks nice, anyone can recommend it over the great and well known freeware model available in the library?Andreas

Abacus is good, but not that good.Their very good market niche is better than default but not top of the line payware quality.However, they do have the larger L1049 Super Constellation where the exceptional FZDesigns aircraft on only the L049.I have the Mike Stone Connie - specifically repaints of VQ-1's nine Super Connies as they were painted when I served in the squadron in 1972-74.I have the Abacus package for other L1049 aircraft including commercial airline repaints, and I have the FZDesigns L049 for the original version of the aircraft. The FSD model is the best by an order of magnitude.I've only flown on the L1049 version and cannot comment on the differences between it and the L049. I was not a pilot or FE, but have spent plenty of time in the cockpit. Singapore to Diego Garcia to Bandar Abbas takes a lot of time in those planes.The thought of less than three people on the flight deck to get the planes flying and keep them in the air is pure fiction to me, but I do fly them in FS.I use the vncon20.zip on all my L1049 Connies for the panel and .AIR file and aircraft.cfg files. It is simply the best.The FZD panel is adapted from this panel so it is also an exceptional item.I use the Radial Engine Prop Sound package from Tom Gibson's site - www.calclassic.com - for all my aircraft with those type engines.The only thing I need to make mine better is to spend a couple hours wiping the oil off the wings after a flight.

Guest nickle

Can you provide the link to FZDesigns?Is this the SFCA Super Connie organization?Thanks

Guest tango papa

Reggie, thanks for the link to the Connie Panel. But you really need to tighten those oil lines to stop the leaks. Just kidding!Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

The Connie's VQ-1 flew routinely took on 50-70 gallons of oil per flight. Because the rocker arms and many parts of a radial engine are on the outside, oil has to be sprayed on them. Unlike an automobile engine which has valve covers to contain that spray.Yes, it did get my attention on my first flight on a Connie when we were about an hour out of Guam on a 12 hour flight to Danang to look out the window and see a light sheen of oil leaking back over the wings.I have been able to "ride brakes" on Connies when they were moved on the ramp many times, and even once in the left hand seat when an FE was using the engines to taxi the bird.I have over 1,200 hours in Connies as a 'standby HF radio operator', but because of my career field was never allowed to be officially flight crew qualified, though I did receive enlisted flight pay. Even though there were 1600 people in the squadron, we were extremely short handed for the high pace of operations in 72-74 when I was there. The squadron found flight crew jobs for anyone who wanted the extra duty in addition to their regular job.My last flight on a Connie was March 1974.

I don't have the Abacus Platinum Connie but can comment on the SFCA Connie. I purchased the SCFA one when it was first released and have patiently awaited a completed version to be released for a few years now. It is an absolutely stunning exterior model with many nicely done animations and there are several authentic repaints of it that look very realistic. The 2d panels are pretty much complete now and quite thorough with many custom modeled gauges just for this model which are based on the real panel the modeling was based on. The soundset is also authentic, recorded from the real aircraft although because the high test fuel this aircraft used to use for high boost on the superchargers is no longer available there is no way to record that particular soundset. The VC is still a work in progress and although it is a very promising work of modeling it is still not textured but does have the gauges placed and many switches animated. If they could ever manage to finish the texturing of the VC this would be a nearly perfect virtual Connie. If you can put up with the untextured VC and the snails pace development I will recommend it. If you are impatient and expect it to be finished right now you'd be better off waiting to purchase, their forum is quite resistant to pushy people.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest dpc

I notice that the file was uploaded in Sept 04. The description says that V1 does not have a VC but would come in a later release. Does anyone know if that release ever came? I would love to have a nice connie with a good VC.