Sign in to follow this  
Guest psouthan

Sick of it (FS9)

Guest psouthan

I must be able to count on one hand the fligths I have completed sucessfuly without one problem or another with FS9. Ok I know it's a hugely complex program, especially with add-ons. Ok to the point and the specifics: I fly from Kuwait to Hong Kong and I get over Bangladesh and I get the black screen of death with a Util.dll error reported.As far as I am aware. i have no add-on scenery for Bangladesh so why is this happening, over the same point in the flight?I have just re-installed the fs9 update although it still says its version 9 and yet it said inthe update installation that it was 'sucessfully updated".Please someone help.I have done the usual: checked for duplicate afcads etc.Paul

Guest dpc

What plane are you flying when this happens?

Guest psouthan

HI Dave,I am flying the PMDG 747 but I tried it with a stock aircraft in the same area (over Bangladesh)and I still had the util.dll error.Paul

Hi Paul; Have you tried running Filemon to see just what FS is trying to do when the error occurs? Thiis is a great tool with much info being posted on this site if you do a search.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Have you tried flying FS9 totally naked? (FS9 not you). No add-ons what-so-ever and check that same point?

Guest dpc

:-lol I was worried there for a second.

Paul,When I look at my system, I find UTIL.DLL here:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9ModulesDid you do a search for UTIL.DLL on your C: drive?Right clicking on the file, my version says: "Microsoft Flight Simulator Module" and the version is "9.1.0.40901.01"Where and what version is your UTIL.DLL?Jim

Guest psouthan

HI Jim,Thank you, and everyone else for replying. The version the Util.dll I have is version 9.1.0.40901 This strikes me as a little odd because, although i thought I had the fs9 patch installed and FS9 shows as version 9.1 in the help menu , it appears my Util.dll has not been update?Could someone please email me one at: psouthan@gmail.com or advise?ThanksPaul

Hi Guys,Those 2 files are the same version. You are just reading different things on the file properties screen. Yes, both are the 9.1 files.Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/

This reminds me of the old Marx Brothers joke .Marx Brother : Doctor - it hurts when I do this.Doctor : well stop doing that!The FS9 world is a BIG world - and if you have a problem for some unknown reason in one particular area, then fly somewhere else. The programme itself is still a lot of fun.Barry

Guest psouthan

Well thanks Barry for your very useful and enlightening comment. The only problem with it Barry, and its a fairly big one, and based on your comment I am not sure if you can deal with it, is this:the problem is a universal one and it happens wherever I fly in the world. Thanks for taking the time out though to comment.Paul

>Well thanks Barry for your very useful and enlightening>comment. The only problem with it Barry, and its a fairly big>one, and based on your comment I am not sure if you can deal>with it, is this:>the problem is a universal one and it happens wherever I fly>in the world. Thanks for taking the time out though to>comment.>>Paul Hi Paul,You said;>Ok to the point and the specifics: I fly from Kuwait to Hong Kong and I get over Bangladesh and I get the black screen of death with a Util.dll error reported.I understood from your original post that your problem was only over Bangladesh. Now you say you're having this problem wherever you fly. If you're looking for help, you should explain your problem a bit better.Have you tried looking for duplicate AFCAD files? Do you have any add-on sceneries? etc, etc, etc......Being "Sick of it(FS9)", you should really say that you are sick of the add-ons because, on its own, FS9 is very stable. You should be looking at an add-on that is causing your problem and not be so dramatic towards FS9.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpgwww.SSTSIM.com

Guest psouthan

HI John, Thank you for taing the time out to reply. I realy think its nice of you. I have treid to look for duplictae add -ons but have found none.You are absolutely correct. I should have made it more explicit at the the time that i was having the problem whereever I fly. Unfortunately, i haven't been able to fly all over every centimeter of the globe.RegardsPaul

Guest tango papa

I'm taking a guess it might be a terrain mesh problem. Sometimes there are conflicts, which can cause CTD's. There is a program that will indicate what terrain mesh is being used at a specific point. But I can't remember which program it is. Perhaps someone else can point you to it.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

Paul,I installed the 9.1 patch a while back (my file version is the same as yours).My flight instructor used to say, "If you do something and a bad thing happens, undo what you just did."What was the LAST change, FlightSim or not, that you made to your PC?Microsft update? Application installation? FS addon (scenery, airplane, AI...)?Doing a search in the FS2004 forum for UTIL.DLL, you and another user report the same issue. Did you follow-up with the suggestions?I also found other references to UTIL.DLL searching the Microsoft Top forum for UTIL.DLL, some reference the 738 and another references scenery.Also:Have you GOOGLE'd UTIL.DLL?Have you tried searching UTIL.DLL @ Support.Microsoft.Com?Have you search your system for a duplicate UTIL.DLL?I'd undo what you did and see if that helps. Perhaps fly the default 737 with the scenery set to SPARSE (most default scenery I think is set to show at NORMAL).If none of that works, since it is a default MSFS module, I'd open a problem ticket with Microsoft.Good Luck.Jim