Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot533

Addon Scenery

Guest Pilot533

Is it ok to create a folder(my scenery) in the addon scenery folder of fs9 and just place your sceneries in it, then add only the folder (my scenery) instead of adding each scenery one by one? Will this decrease performance or cause ctd's?

Guest wji

It all depends upon what is meant by O.K.Will it work? Yes.Is it a good a good idea? No.Will this decrease performance? No.Will it cause ctd's? No.I'm sure Micrsoft created the default folder C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Addon Scenery for a (good) reason.This is where addon sceneries should be added, if for no other reason than this is where Microsoft suggests they be added.But -- like everything else regarding flying -- it's you call, captain.[/font size]

STOP MESSIN' Mikey! You're going to break it again!!!:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol :-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol :-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest tango papa

I've read several suggestions in the "Read Me/Install" file to NOT place scenery folders in FS9/AddOn Scenery. I created a folder "AddOn-Unzip" outside of FS9. The only files I place in FS9/AddOn Scenery/Scenery are the AF2.bgl's. I still have to add the rest of the files to the FS9 library, but it take's a bit time that way. I would not suggest putting all your Add-On sceney filesin one big pile. If you run into problems while flying, it will be almost impossible to find which scenery file is causing the error. It's much easiser if your addons are listed individually.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

Most all my scenery is placed in a folder outside of FS. The only files I install in the 'add-on' folder are the sceneries that require it, and the object files and textures.I even keep my AFCAD files in the various separate scenery file folders, thus easily grouped with each airport, or region.I've tried it the 'other way' with troublesome results.It works for me.

Not 100% cure what you want to do. Do you mean:1. Create My sceneryscenery and My scenerytexture folders, and dump all files into one or the other?or2. Create My sceneryscenery ascenery and My sceneryscenery atexture for all scenery areas a through z?2 would be the recommended approach, but each scenery area, scenery a -- scenery z would have to be individually added to the scenery library. But, I think FS Manager can do the add in one step.The reason for 2 is that it preserves any relative priority needed between scenery. In general, smaller, more detailed sceenry should be at a higher priority than wide-area scenery which probably is less detailed. Also, soome scenery such as landclass definition files don't like having a paried texture folder, and the order between landclass definition files and photo scenery files might be important for proper display. There might also be a problem with unigue filenames which could cause a problem with method 1.Note that the actual location for these scenery folders can be anywhere that your computer can find, but if they are on removable stores or network shares the default behaviour is to copy all the files into an attached hard drive "local cache".scott s..

Guest Pilot533

>STOP MESSIN' Mikey! You're going to break it again!!!>Yeah I know!!! Im pulling my hair out with all of this stuff, the blurries and the horrific fs rendition of the seasons, my gosh if there were only an addon that would put the right colors where they should be, that means denver cant look like florida, michigan shouldnt be all green this time of year, and florida should never have winter textures! UT USA doesnt fix it, fs genesis makes it worse, i dont know what to do. As far as the addon scenery folder, Ive decided to to it the "normal way."

Guest Pilot533

ok, heres my next question. Iloaded up fs and set the date to march 20th 2007, I started the flight at klga (new york city) and guess what, green trees, green summerlike textures loaded. Now I happen to live aroudn here and its completley covered in snow and it wont be green for another month and a half or more. So I think I might have a problem with my scenery .cfg. Here is how it is set up:untitled-6.jpgThis is with utusa, ge pro and fs terrain. I have fs genesis landclass but im not convinced on how muhc it does, when I added that to the mix I was getting summer textures displayed at denver at march 19th. So how does it look? BTW, Nevermind my huge blurry texture problem for now, I think im gonna have to talk to the guys at fsgs to get that sorted out since nothing I try makes any difference at all.

Guest deKoven

Interesting, but I've never found the ground textures to really follow what is actually around me. Certainly if it snows out and I start FS I do NOT get snowy ground; although, if real weather is on it will be snowing. And I'm currently flying around in Brazil for FSE where it should still be summer. I've gotten some strange ground textures there at times.:D

Guest Pilot533

Im not talking about hard winter textures, just regular brownish winter textures, in nyc on march 20th it never looks green, the trees are still bare, the ground is still brown. Same for denver, the surrounding farmland should never be all green.

Remember, today is "technically" the first day of spring Mike. I live down on the Jersey shore and despite still having snow on the ground I was thinking in bed this morning as I saw the weatherman talk about the first day of spring that when I load FS today, it is going to be spring textures...What a shame FS ground textures don't detect the weather and load appropriately....-PaulYep, just loaded up KEWR and sure enough everything is bright and green Mike. It is the spring switch not an issue with your setup at all.-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest Pilot533

ah well, ill have to set fs9 to march 1st for about another month or two then. But I still cant figure out why fs genesis would tell fs to load pure green farmland textures around denver on mach 19th, march 19th is still winter. And denver should not have those textures loaded even in the summer!

Yeah, I can't seem to find "transitional" seasonal textures... It goes from brown to white for winter and white to green for spring with nothing in the middle.... Like you said, here in the N.E it should be brown for the next month or so...-PaulPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg