Sign in to follow this  
Guest TomOOO

Installing new mesh

Guest TomOOO

HiI failed last night to install new terrain mesh manually asI wanted and was hoping someone could explain my mistake.I have FS Terrain already, though this is only USA and Europe. Inote from the installation of this that the "bgl" files are under themain scenery directory - and linked from the scenery menu withinFS9 - as the highest priority object. They are within a separate(from the base mesh files), in a FSterrain/scenery directory.I have downloaded a 76 meter mesh (ie not scenery), from the raw shuttle flight data...1) Unpacked the bgl files, and placed then in a sub-directory underthe main scenery area as : NZ-global/scenery. Notice for meshyou must not add a terrain directory - so I did not.2) Went into FS9, to the scenery library, clicked "add scenery" - and added the above new scenery sub-directory. Left this new mesh as object 1 - highest priority.3) Exited and restarted - mesh was found and indexed.No joy, only have the default 1.2km mesh for New Zealand.To check, I moved this new mesh to the FS9 "scenery/BASE" directorywhere all the FS9 base mesh files are. (after doing a FS9 deletedof scenery from the non-working place). Ie I don;'t like addingnew stuff to the FS9 directory structure with the default files -I like to have things neat and tidy so I can fix mistakes easily.The new mesh was indexed automatically, and the mesh was visible and New Zealand had mountains.I understood that FS9 would use the highest resolution mesh whereavailable, and that a higher priority mesh would take precedence.Can someone tell me why the 76 mesh was not visible when I usedthe non-BASE scenery directory (ie already indexed). How comeusing the addon scenery does not work for mesh ? is this treateddifferently from true scenery ? I did I do something wrong. The README for the mesh says the mesh should be put in the FS9scenery/BASE/scenery directory with the default 1.2km mesh. Ican obviously leave it here and put a README reminding myselfwhat I had done, though I am not happy with changing the defaultinstallation.ThanksTom

Guest neslesman

You can put it in the base scenery directory but still keep it in its own separate folder named whatever you like. Then add and activate that folder via the scenery library in FS9.I have FSGenesis 38M British Columbia mesh in there just like that and as I recall FSG either defaulted the install to there or instructed me to install it that way.

Guest TomOOO

Thanks, tried that, and just tried it again and even checked the scenery.cfgfile and it all "should" work with a new directory containinga scenery directory. Have therefore left the files within the scenery/BASE file for now as this is indexed by default.RegardsTom

Most scenery, including terrain mesh files, can be placed anywhere in your file system, as long as they are included in a properly activated (in scenery library/scenery.cfg) scenery area. A "scenery area" consists of a folder (any name) and a subfolder named "scenery" (the texture subfolder is not required for terrain mesh).For terrain mesh, FS loads mesh from all active scenery areas (if "in range" of lat/long) starting with the lowest priority (sceneryworld), then (scenerybase) and on up. When it encounters terrain mesh with better resolution (higher LOD number) than the current mesh it will use that mesh (depending on mesh settings in FS9.cfg). If it encounters mesh with the same resolution in a higher priority folder, it will ignore it. In your case, you iunstalled your new LOD9 NZ mesh at the highest priority, but couldn't see it in-game. Thus, you have a mesh file somewhere else in the scenery library which is being loaded first, and thus your file isn't used. When you move your mesh file "down" (in the scenery library priority list) to "scenerybase", you ensure that your file is loaded first, and will be retained instead of replaced by any other LOD9 mesh files. Note that "sceneryBase" includes the default mesh, de120n00.bgl but that doesn't matter, since it is a lower resolution mesh. The situation might be different in other parts of the world, where MS provided higher resolution mesh.Here is a quick example near NZCH which I did. I created 2 terrain mesh files at LOD9 resolution. One uses the SRTM 3 sec v3 data for a single LOD8 cell, the other I modded to provide a constant 767 m over the same entire LOD8 cell.1. Default meshhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168940.jpg2. Here I have added my flat LOD9 mesh in an intermediate priority scenery area (I am looking at the edge of the cell, thus the plateau):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168941.jpg3. When I add my "good" mesh to my highest priority scnery area, I see no change. So I moved it to two different scenery folder, both scenerybase and addon scenery. Both of these are lower priority. I got the seam results in either folder:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168942.jpgscott s..

Guest TomOOO

ScottThank you for the detailed explanation, the bit I was missing wasthat FS9 can ignore a better mesh if it thinks it has one first,Isee from scenery.cfg that world and base are loaded first (001 and 002),so the new mesh gets in first if I put in the default area.I will try a new directory again, adding this,then moving the new mesh scenery down the list until Iidentify what is "fooling" FS9. I like to know whatis going on and to keep things tidy.The only problem left is that I have about 20Gbytes of 38 and 76meter mesh from http://www.fsproject.com/mesh_maps/World_Mesh_MAP.htmland so I am gradually filling up the "childrens" games' machine disk.Regardstom

Guest TomOOO

Just as a follow upI tried the New Zealand/Australia mesh from FSProject world widemesh at every point in the scenery library list and they do not "work"(ie used instead of the default 1.2 km mesh)when in a separate directory. I can only guess that the gbl fileshave a header indicating the LOD value - and this is wrong. Theywork fine only when in the BASE scenery directory. Maybe someonecan comment ?? East Asia and Asia (including Himalaya) work correctly when at the topof the scenery list and installed as usual in a different directory.RegardsTom