Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

Don't you just hate FS9 and MS...

Vent on...So there I was with all my addons, everything configured nicely, this weekend, wanting to do a flight. One try, two tries, three tries, followed all by CTDs, errors, blah blah... Whatever I thought, I will reinstall, with most important addons, JUST so I can do a flight. ONLY THAT. Nothing else. So I installed FS9, updated it, FSGenesis mesh, LevelD, PMDG 737, 747, FE, GEPro, FSUIPC...nothing special. Yesterday evening, there I was, flying from EGLL to LGAV - "ran out of memory", like #####?!? Swapping up to 3gb, 2gb RAM... Tried again, there we go, same thing. Reinstalled PMDG, no difference!!As expensive as my computer is, I am really coming to the end of having patience for PCs and Windows, and stupid MICRO$OFT!!!"

Guest jimcooper1

NopeI love them bothJim

Yeah, was happy for a long time. I actually do to, but just needed to vent out ;)

Guest jimcooper1

Sounds to me like you're frustrated having spent a lot of money on that rig and its not running well. May be its one of your add-ons. Or is your memory from the Motherboard prefered supplier list...being an Asus they can be very particular in their compatibility with memory sticks.I have a similar systemASUS P5N32-E Sli 680iX6800 OCZ 2GB PC2-8500 (1066MHz)Dual 8800GTXIt runs FS2004 as smooth as silk on glass.The only add-ons I use are Horizon VFR Mesh and Scenery.No payware aircraft!!RegardsJim

It was running well before. I have just been testing for last hour now, and it comes up its only one PMDG aircraft/livery. Others work fine... 737-700 British Airways, my VA colors and I usually fly 700, so I guess now I have to find out why.But what pains me that after some time, after you tweak it just a little bit, it gets to the point where you start getting different errors, crashes and stuff - read first part of the story...Anyway, thanks.

Hey Word Not Allowed....My hard drive died recently and I've worked on PC's and software for 20 years now. I didn't see it coming. I know your frustration.One thing to look at with the OOM errors is the tool Filemon. Look to see if MSFS is "hunting" for textures. I kept running out of memory and it drove me crazy. One add-on I had placed textures in the "wrong" folder. MSFS still found them, but the process of always hunting brought zapped all my memory, especially over the course of an hour or so. Hope this can help.... It's worth a try.-John

>Sounds to me like you're frustrated having spent a lot of>money on that rig and its not running well. May be its one of>your add-ons. Or is your memory from the Motherboard prefered>supplier list...being an Asus they can be very particular in>their compatibility with memory sticks.>>I have a similar system>>ASUS P5N32-E Sli 680i>X6800 >OCZ 2GB PC2-8500 (1066MHz)>Dual 8800GTX>>It runs FS2004 as smooth as silk on glass.>>The only add-ons I use are Horizon VFR Mesh and Scenery.>No payware aircraft!!>>Regards>>JimHate to break it to ya Jimmy, your REALLY missing out.

Thanks for the rant.....guess I'm not alone.....I actually feel better now ;-) Ironically, I thought this was the wrong forum.......hope some people are listening..................?Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.12's6x EATM AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall

Guys, thanks for your replies, nice to know that one is not alone. John, I already did go with Filemon, I didn't see it hunting for anything specific, but must be honest, didn't even look really really hard - in the end, it IS long. Huge.So, I reinstalled FS9 "again", and now the error "seems" to be gone. Let's hope and keep fingers crossed.

Word Not Allowed,nay, you're not alone. I'll keep my story short: /vent onnothing --NOTHING-- helped with stutters on my rig. Replaced virtually everything, reinstalled a few times, tweaked, tweaked and tweaked, went through that huge Win XP guide to set up the system properly, had a session with Michael... well, stutters were still there. Then my RAID0 array went south and I had to reinstall everything again for the Nth time. I'm quite ready to take a sledge hammer and try repairs with that. :)Well, I am building a new rig now and hopefully it will behave better. But just the thought of installing FS9 again with all the addons, tweaks and whatnot makes me sick. /vent offRegards,Jure

Guest mattriggins

"ran out of memory",>like #####?!? Swapping up to 3gb, 2gb RAM... Just curious, are you running the FS2004 9.1 patch or just the install off the CD? The 9.0 version had a very bad memory leak in it which would cause you to lose memory over the course of the flight, thus running out of ram eventually. The 9.1 fixed this.I built a new rig for my simulator about a month ago, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs of ram, SATA drive, SLI premium motherboard, PCIe 16x video card and I was getting 10fps in some cases at the end of a flight. Couldn't figure out for the life of me why. Then it dawned on me that I hadn't updated to 9.1.Installed the 9.1 patch and now have no issues.If you aren't running FS2004 version 9.1, then check out this post on my blog for the URL to the patch.http://mycessnasim.blogspot.com/2007/03/vf...rame-rates.htmlIf you are running 9.1 and getting CTD's etc I would recommend first try running a memory checker like memtest from http://www.memtest.org/ which, you will honestly start at 8Pm at night and wake up at 8am the next morning to find it just finishing. But it's the most through test of memory I've ever seen.Try 9.1 patch. If that doesn't help (or you are running 9.1) try memtest. Those are two simple tests to start with. From there I would check the motherboard/hardware aspects and as a last resort backup the hard drive, reformat, reinstall Windows, reinstall FS2004, update to 9.1 and test it for a week. Then add one addon, test for a couple days. Add another addon, test for a couple days, etc.Hope that helps.Good luck!

Running 9.1.The point is, up until now, FS9 was working fine, but on the new hardware, I didn't test it thoroughly. So it seems that errors started appearing now.I will do a memtest overnight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Guest abulaafia

I understand your frustration. The reason I am putting up with FSX despite its performance issues is that it is more stable. Never had a crash with FSX so far. With FS9 I experienced more or less what you described. ==Marten:Weber==P-D920 3.3MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"author of http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?FileName=bbgrfs.zipscreens on http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/abulaafia/

We may think we're really that smart, but in the end the totally screwed up FS install gets us anyway. It's a good admission.What I love is these conversations:"I took cyanide and died.""I haven't ever had any problems with cyanide.""You must have taken it wrong.""Something must be wrong with your system.""Ever since I started eating Yogurt cyanide doesn't affect me.""It must be your brand of cyanide."

Guest bholly12

>So I installed FS9, updated it ....Sounds like he updated to 9.1 already.I had a CTD on approach to Fort Lauderdale last night. I wanted to scream!!-Brad