Sign in to follow this  
fsx

How technically correct do you fly ?

Guest melevine

Hi Eric.....been flying with MSFS since the mid 80s......the planes and scenery back then weren't too far removed from "stick figures." I am a frustrated non-pilot, in that I never pursued the ticket to do it regularly for real, although I came close to doing so a few times. I do go REAL WORLD flying with friends periodically (but not often enough).....the last time in a Cessna 310, up and down the Rocky Mtn front range from Pueblo over Denver to Fort Collins and back.....I did 95% of the flying in this twin. As for flying FS2004 (I prefer turboprops King Air, Pilatus PC-12, B1900...but my repetoire ranges from a Cessna 182 to the 747...depending on the mood).....One rule I ALWAYS follow is this: regardless of what plane I'm flying (VFR and IFR)...once I rotate off of the runway, my flight doesn't end until I land safely at my destination...(whatever that requires)! I try to never pause a flight, or terminate a flight without landing! For me that is as real as it gets as it FORCES ME to stay alert and deal with the REAL weather and other uncertainties along the way. I LOVE this hobby. I'm now 57 (in good health, and recently stopped taking a medication that previously precluded me from qualifying for successfully passing a flight physical. So.......I'm once again seriously toying with the idea of taking lessons.R/Mike

Hi Mike,You really should go pursue this passion! Life is never the same after you solo, but it's worth it!I use FS for different missions. I have "flown" every day (except on vacation, and boy do I miss it! ) since 1995, when I had FS5.1 and ATP. Now, several real world licenses since, I still fly on a sim every day. On a week night when I'm tired I just want to push the throttles and do a 30 minute flight, in anything that I think I can manually land. On weekends or when more spare time is around, I will do stuff like practice the MD2006 startup procedure; or I might try emulating instument flight locally or somewhere else where I fire up and taxi a C172 using all the SOP stuff that I have been taught- takes some time but it's fun. Or shoot approaches. I also use Elite, although the RXP GNS430 sure is nice in FS9.Bruce.

Matt,thats an awesome job you have done there. I have saved your link.1. How are the Simkit guages? are they good? I got some Flight Illusion guages..but they have not come up with some major guages..since I started 3 years ago. No DG, TC VOR... so I am thinking of Sim kits. 2. In your video...What ATC do you have there and its voice activiated too... (Got the answer from your blog...Its VOX ATC. Amazing. I need to check this out now.3. Have you thought of adding Fresnel lens to your setup?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I ignore ATC procedure. Otherwise, i am hardcore... that's because i hate ATC in real life and in the sim i have the choice to ignore it. Which i do, with pleasure.

>How do you guys like to fly and what draws you to FS ?>>EricI used to fly on line more in the past since I had more spare time.Now i have a very demanding job, a wife in the house and a son coming up in few months Nowadays, even though I can hop in and fly with my buddy or my wife (almost!) any time, I still enjoy on line simming as I used to 17 years ago when I started intensive FS & real aviation activity.The reason is [link:www.vatsim.net|VATSIM] !I connect to vatsim either to provide ATC with [link:www.metacraft.com/VRC/|VRC] or to fly on line with [link:www.squawkbox.ca/|SB3] and enjoy the company of live people flying all around me sharing the same hobby.Nothing beats real pilots in your FS environment even if they are less in quantity then all the other AI tools available.It keeps my "... 2.navigate 3.communicate" real aviation skills up to speed. The 1.aviate can be kept up to date with FS in some way but not in its entirety in order to be a safe pilot in the real skies. I fly only "on screen" and never leave the plane except of the ocasional visit to the loo or the very important phonecall.That is why I don't do long haul flights.I usually fly mid sized airliners to destinations 1.5~2 hours away, Favoutites: DreamFleet727 and PMDG737I fly GA aircraft VFR on short hops in places like the Greek islands with the Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne or the sloped runways of the French Alps (Altiports) with the FSD Pilatus PorterThat's all I have time for nowadays !I try to keep realistic flying procedures as much as possible.Kyprianos Biris :-cool[link:vateur.org|VATSIM-EUR][link:hvacc.org]Hellenic vACChttp://vateur.org/staff/vateur_m.jpghttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/810309/3.png

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Guest ristretto

The FS2004 game/simulator allows me to be an pilot on the computer. Thing is, I'm not a pilot. In real life I'm a passenger and I also want to be a passenger in FS2004. Problem is that it is not possible to be a passenger in fs9, until a year ago that is when FS Pilot became available. This program allows automatic taxi, takeoff, climb, cruise, fly from waypoint to waypoint, descent, set flaps, lower gear, land and taxi to the gate without ever looking at the cockpit instruments. FS recorder allows a similar thing. I have about 40 flights set up and now all I do is look out the window and watch the world go by. I like being unaware of exactly where I'm at. Just like a real passenger I'm guessing the altitude and speed of the airplane from what I see from the window. I like the feeling of being out of control and just letting the aircraft take off, cruise, and land as if a pilot, and not me, is in control of the plane. So what I'm really doing is flying the aircraft from outside the simulator and the flight is set up using a text file. This still requires quite a bit of knowledge regarding the flight characteristics of the aircraft.

Eric I fly as real as possible with all system setup checks etc...Preparing with all the charts available from Navdata and real world weather...Real flight planning too...But I'm a graphical guy to and can really enjoy the view outside the window when I'm on flight...From GA to Heavies.Online flying I did and was a great experience only couldn't stand the almost empty airports...So back with offline flying and 100% AI traffic which is great fun :-)So for me counts the total experience and as real as possible...My LDS with FS2Crew and WX500 radar still the favorite :-) however the latests Maddog 2006 is great regarding systems too only missing the VC :( Flying it a lot these days and that says a lot for me hehehe... What draws me to FS is the pilot and aviation passion/experience I can't have in real life :(Have fun guys, Andr

André

I guess that's whats so great about this hobby - it's so variedGreat respinses chaps. Intersting reading. I obtained by PPL in Cape Town in 1989 but many years ago sadly had to give up real world flight - Just to many other financial commitments. For me too, the love has never died and flightsim fills a great void. I do alot of my virtual flying in Cape Town using the Aeroworx scenery. I've been simming since 1999 myself. Could never imagine myself without it :-)

>...The following pic is within 2 hours of the airport. Wouldn't>trade this "scenery" for gazing at instruments in IMC!>>L.AdamsonWhich scenery package is that? I also use real sectionals when flying GA aircraft. However, I don't worry about keeping them current.My flying is either bush type in small planes, Golden Age Simulations Stearman Model 4 is a favorite, or, military fighters. I can no longer fly the real thing but, I can still pretend to fly. When I am flying military fighters, I tend to do things much more by the book. Old habits, I guess.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

>The FS2004 game/simulator allows me to be an pilot on the>computer. Thing is, I'm not a pilot. In real life I'm a>passenger and I also want to be a passenger in FS2004. Problem>is that it is not possible to be a passenger in fs9, until a>year ago that is when FS Pilot became available. This program>allows automatic taxi, takeoff, climb, cruise, fly from>waypoint to waypoint, descent, set flaps, lower gear, land and>taxi to the gate without ever looking at the cockpit>instruments. FS recorder allows a similar thing. I have about>40 flights set up and now all I do is look out the window and>watch the world go by. I like being unaware of exactly where>I'm at. Just like a real passenger I'm guessing the altitude>and speed of the airplane from what I see from the window. I>like the feeling of being out of control and just letting the>aircraft take off, cruise, and land as if a pilot, and not me,>is in control of the plane. So what I'm really doing is flying>the aircraft from outside the simulator and the flight is set>up using a text file. This still requires quite a bit of>knowledge regarding the flight characteristics of the>aircraft.Very interesting read. I am glad you enjoy that... I tend to do something similar..but in a smaller scale.. I fly and then I set it on replay...while I am doing some work. :)MAnny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest Knikolaes

I am in Flight School, and i use FS for both entertainment and practice. Depends on what my goal is when I sit down at the computer. Lately I have been practicing lessons from my Commercial training in the sim. Next semester is multiengine, so I'll be starting to use my ME aircraft more often there.There are times, though, where i pull up a simple aircraft such as the porter, go to misty Fjords, and just have a blast without worrying too much about standard airport procedures :-)

Guest Chunt16307

Hello Eric I fly a variety of aircraft. Starting with the Dreamfleet A36 to the fabulous Dreamfleet 727. I have been intensely studying the latter for about 6 months now and love the technical aspect of flying a medium classic jet by the book. I usually do my own start up on pushback but not the cold and dark. My current desire is to fly it on VATSIM but trying to navigate some of the SIDS and STARS without an FMC is very daunting. On occasion I like to do the VFR scenery thing and have made a couple of videos using the flight recorder module by Matthias Neusinger. Those flights are seldom following proceedures. Just take off and fly. I have invested a ton on titles like Megascenery. I have been flight simming now for over 4 years and I think about my next flight or training mission constantly. I find that the flightsim community is filled with a bunch of really great people who love to share their experiences. I am very glad to be a part of it.Charles

"Technically correct" Used to be what was for me My idea of what was "technically correct" and that was all that mattered. For me my enjoyment cames from the airport enviorment so put all my energy there.I recently joined a VA. I now see that "technically correct" has been "technically Wrong" and I have a lot to learn. So far being technically correct can be as fun (Which is what this is all about for some of us.) But being "technically incorrect has it's advantages. It is realist by nature. Being technically incorrect has sometimes cause new improvements and innovations. Think about it...The greatest idea of all came from someone that said,..."I think I can do that."MonnieBest regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)HP Media CenterPentium D 2.80 GHz Duel core2.00 GB RAMNVIDIA GeForce 6200SEConexant Falcon II NTSCXP SP2

Resonably technnical (TrackIR and FS2Crew level) but not the paperwork/dispatch loadsheet stuff or anything like that. Reasonably accurate loads and fuel, but not obsessive levels.I begin all flights at push and start.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU