Sign in to follow this  
atco

Stuck in blurries ####

Well it's come down to this, after battling for weeks, I have to admit defeat and look for outside help to defeat the blurries.Purchased a new PC recently, a Core2 Duo 2.13GHz, with 2 GB DDR2 667MHz RAM and an BFG GeForce 7950GT OC 512MB PCIE and FS9.1 runs like a dream, steady 30fps everywhere with full AI and weather and not a stutter in sight.Then I noticed blurries in places.Thus the downward spiral began. I have searched high and low and implemented every blurry defeating strategy I can find to no avail.I have tried FPS locks from 20 to 55 and even unlimited, nothing works, still blurries.I have tried hundreds of combinations of TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT and TextureMaxLoad combinations, nothing works.I got so fed up yesterday I uninstalled the lot and started again, but even on a virgin install of FS9 on its own drive, there they were again like some kind of evil curse.I have tried with UT installed and without, GE Pro installed and without, not one thing seems to help.About the only thing that I have found is that the blurries seem worse with city textures, the country ones seem better and the blurries just stay there, they dont snap clear after a second or two, some textures become clear as the aircraft is almost on top of them, others just stay blurry.I have also tried umpteen combinations of TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS, TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS and TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS values ranging from 3.5 to 9.5 for the radius and 1 to 232 for the levels, and of course nothing works.I think I have exhausted all options to rid myself of this curse and nothing has helped, I'd really appreciate any help from anyone who has suffered with this.ThanksGarryPS: I defrag daily and use Ultimate Defrag to keep my FS files on the outside of the HD.

Garry, I know how you feel. Don't know if you saw my post above yours called "Need some help with Ground Environment". I was having some troubles with the blurries after I installed the regular version of GE. I did a little research last night after I didn't get any responses to my post and found that the developer of Vistas Austrailia has a tweek guide. It located on Sim-Outhouse, but you have to register. Well, I registered last night, but have yet to receive the email that will activate my account. However, I did find some CFG tweeks that helped me. I used these amd it helped me alot. I have an older computer, P4 2.5 - 1 GB Ram - Radion 9700, and it pretty much got rid of my blurries and I am still getting frmaes in the 30's - 60's even in the city with 50% traffic. I will see if I can find the links and post them so you can try the setting I used.Regards,Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Pilot533

Garry I feel your pain, I've tried every trick in the book and I still have the blurries, even with my halfway decent system. I just dont get it.

Mike and Gary. Below is a link that has some great CFG tweeks you can try. They are from Koorby, one of the developers of VOZ. I used these and pretty much eliinated my bluries and I don't have much of a computer, in fact it's 4 years old but is running FS9 really well.http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/show...?threadid=25421Hope this helps.Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Mike, I notice we both have the same graphics card, I wonder if this may be at the root of it.There is nothing I can do to rid the blurries, I have spent hours every day and exhausted every website I can find and tried every tweak and trick and nothing works.I know its not an addon either as I get exactly the same results on a completely clean FS9 install.I just can't figure it out, the only thing that seems left is hardware, does anyone else run a BFG 7950GT OC 512 here and if so what settings do you use in your FS9 config and NVIDIA control panel.I have also tried a number of drivers and, of course none of those worked either.This is just an absolute nightmare.

Sadly, none of these tweaks or settings will help, after changing variables in the config hundreds of times nothing makes a difference at all.This is a clean install of FS with no addons whatsoever:blurry4.jpgI know that FS uses a "cross" to display textures and that can be controlled via the FS config file, I have of course turned on extended textures and have the radius values and extended levels set at the maximum, but as you can see here (with GE Pro textures now installed) the "cross" of sharp textures around the aircraft is incredibly small, textures only become sharp almost as the aircraft arrives on top of them.blurryA.jpgI have read Steve Lacey's blog about the blurries over and over and FS still looks the same whether the frame rate is locked at 10 or 20 or 30 or 40 or set to unlimited, video memory starvation surely should not be a problem with a 512MB video card should it?I can't find any more info on what else could be causing the scenery to blur so badly - and its only the scenery, all other textures are always crisp and sharp.Agh, this is so frustrating !

Guest TomOOO

HiThis is a long post - feel free to ignoreTry this - it will be horrible - but try it anyway.1) Set MIPS to 8. You should end with horrible shimmer - hitpause and wait for everything to stop moving and the shimmerto stop. Do you still have blurries ?2) No blurries - then you have a MPIS problem - you cannot doanything about this - to do with how the graphic card handles contrast change that are less than 1 pixel wide. I read that thevery latest Nvida card seams to have solved this - but this isa very expensive solution. I have to use MIPS = 4 cos my screenis crap and my graphic card is so-so (ATI X600).3) Still blurries. Then this is the Fs9 and the use of different levels of detail toimprove texture loading. There is a play off between the highresolution texture object (the foreground nice bit) and lowerquality rings about your point of view. If you look further away you will see another ring of just blobs. Also you see that theyare in squares - this is the basic texture object size which arestitched together. Can you solve this - yes if you have a super computer - thoughI am not convinced that the FS9.cfg will allow every texture in afield of view to be drawn at high resolution texture cos a computerto do this does not exist. Consider this - I have 20 Gbytes of mesh for my world at 76meters, but my textures are at 19 meters(for UT), and to load the whole world of high resolution texturecould take 320 Gb - and my graphics card does not have this memory ! If high resolution texture object has to be loaded from disk (orif already loaded, from the page file or RAM), it then has to besent to the graphics card and then rendered. The graphics card hasthe option to cache this for later use or discard it when it runsout of memory. To do this requires "band-width" - ie fast wiresand components that make up the FSB, lots of memory, and lots ofmemory on your graphics card. You can set parameters to move this boundary away from you soyou see more high resolution texture (this has been discussed in many threads), but this requires that your computer can handle largerthroughput of data - a larger radius increases the amount of databy R*R (ie radius squared). So if you keep increasing the fs9.cfg then you hit the problem that the computer chokes on the data andyou get stutter. You can tell the computer to spend more time sending terrain textures , but then you will see a drop in fps sincenot enough time is spent flying the plane.I believe you have hit (3) where your settings define this boundarybetween the high res textures and lower res textures, and in thedistance - approximate blobs of colour (Use slew to about 90,000 feetand you will see these rings much more easily). Can you solve (3) - again no - with the current technology. FS9 andFSX are an incredible bit of software, but the software cannot do the impossible due to limitations of the hardware. Therefore, youshould do VFR between 3000 - 8000 feet as in the real world. Inthe UK the military own below 3000 feet, and above 10,000 feetgets into the world are public transport. At 5,000 feet I geta reasonable ring of textures and I drop my visibility to "real-life"values so I cannot see the line. If you want to fly high (IFR) then change the settings so the computer is set up for all blurry textures - setting the display of textures to low quality, you won't see any lines since it isall blurry.Sorry, you may have just hit the limitations of modern computers.FS9 and FSX are state of the art when it comes to graphics - andwhat you are see is the current state of the art; not perfect.Just my 5p worth this time.RegardsTom

You should be able to tweak those blurries away much better than that with your system. Things are never perfect, but a default install should perform better than that. Although, at least the one pic looks like London which is tough on FPS. Try an area away from major airports and see what happens. Also, some tips since you already did a reinstall. If you decide to reinstall again:-Defrag your drive both before install and after. You should: uninstall, defrag, install, defrag again, install addons, defrag, etc. You may already be doing this. -After you do a clean install, run the 9.1 patch, the backup what you can. At least make a clean backup of the fs9.cfg. If you have space somewhere else, try making a backup of the whole drive. It can come in handy. Any tweaking you do to the fs9.cfg you have to make sure you can return to a default status when things don't work. Of course, when you get things working well, back up that cfg file as well. -Now, if you don't already have it, get FS Autostart or something similar. Spend some time with it and get all non-essential functions disabled. This includes things like antivirus, etc. If you are not sure what services and programs are doing, Google them and they should come up. It might take a good hour of trial and error to find out what you can and cannot shut down, but it will be worth it in the long run. The recommendations from FS Autostart work great as is. You can download the program from the library here. You should be able to get reasonable performance "out of the box" without tweaking anything other than your system itself. -Finally if you still have problems, move to Koorby's settings as a guide, although you will need to adjust them for your PC:http://vistaoz.org/smf/index.php?topic=55.0Now, these settings are far from perfect for every system. You will need to tweak them for your system. texture_bandwidth_mult is one thing that can probably go much higher with your card.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Forgot one other thing. There is a not too well known command in fs9 to refresh scenery. Now, there is no key assigned to it by default, so you have to assign it yourself. Under options, controls, assignments, look for "refresh scenery" under all commands. Assign a key or joystick button to it and it will reload all scenery. This can often get rid of those blurries after a long period or time acceleration or in complex areas.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Pilot533

Wow, that sounds like a nice slice of info! Btw, what is the best defragger for fs9 and the blurries? I also noticed after buying some photoreal sceneries that it was strange how none of the photoreal textures are blurry. They are all crystal clear and as sharp as can be. Any reason for this?

Guest dan9125

Craig, Thanks for the great info, just got a new Geforce 7600 and needed some tips on making it perform better. Dan near KBUF

Thank you Tom and everyone for their input and ideas.Tom you are correct, I am stuck at 3, I tried mips to 8 and of course that made no difference.What is so frustrating and perhaps the screens don't show adequately is that they were taken at around 3-5000ft and in a slow moving aircraft, and yet only one or at most two tiles ahead of the aircraft are sharp, the rest form a blurry soup.What is strange is that when I go to the top down view, all the textures from 30 miles up are sharp, only when i view from further out do the textures become blurrier at the outer edges of the "cross" - which is what I would expect, yet if I switch back to spot or cockpit view, only the one or two tiles around the aircraft are sharp.There must be something odd happening with the terrain display, I am getting flawless displaying of all other textures (autogen, trees, aircraft, weather, airports etc), and the sim almost refuses to stutter no matter how hard I push the config values, it is as smooth as silk.Once again, I really appreciate all the thoughts and ideas everyone has put forward.

Yes Jim I did.Installed FS9, defragged, then ran FS9.1 patch, then defragged again.