Sign in to follow this  
Guest brillo

Anyone tried this one yet - or similar?

Guest brillo

Looking around and found a payware prog, "System Booster XP". Says it's a "prefetching" utility. I don't know what that means. Loads files quicker? Says it can be set to "boost" just FS9. Says "the hard disk becomes much less of a rate limiting factor". Is the hard disk the (usual) bottleneck or is it RAM or the vid card or? I do get some stuttering, blurries, FPS issues occasionally, in and out of SEATAC for example. No dough for a hotter system right now, wondering if this sort of thing can actually improve performance. Or is it all hype? Has anyone tried this or something like it? Do they live up to their claims? Thanks for any good/bad reports or educated guesses.Rob

Hi Rob,If this is the DiskTrix System Booster, you can check it out for yourself on a 7-day free trial (www.disktrix.com/systembooster/systembooster.htm).Dugald

Guest brillo

Dugold and others,Yes, this is the disktrix booster. I also saw the 7 day trial offer for the booster. Was just wondering if someone here had tried it and had formed an opinion. Or has an opinion about the pros/cons of file "prefetching" utilities in general. Note, in the adverts for this prog, there are graphs comparing CPU used specifically by FS9 with and without the booster, but there are no graphs showing the CPU use by the booster.... First, does this prog do what it claims, does it line up scenery and texture files ahead of time? Second, does it hog up the CPU doing whatever it is that it does? Third, does it actually get scenery and texture files on-screen faster. Fourth, is that the real cause of common performance problems (blurries, stutters, etc.) all/most/part/any of the time? Or is the bottom line that performance problems are usually caused by something else all together? Like the inherent limitations of the hardware/software? I suspect that there are differences of opinion on those questions. Happy to hear them, but the main question here, for someone who has tried this particular booster with FS9 or has tried something similar, is this...Does it work?Rob

Google "System Booster XP" and read some reviews from the download sites and on FSGenesis' site and you'll find people coming to the same conclusion - it's a waste.Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.12's6x EATM AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall

Guest brillo

Yes. The FSGenesis comments are sufficient. Just have to keep saving for a system like Kendall's I suppose... (while he ogles an even hotter one) Ah well, so it goes. Thanks folks.Rob

> Is the hard disk the (usual) bottleneck or is it RAM or the vid card or?It's the CPU.

Mike...

Good evening everyone, I just tried System Booster V2. As what is said above. A waste in my opinion. First off, I remember after installing the program, that I had this before. The company states it doesn't use much resources. My system runs at a normal commit charge of 110m at idle. With this program running it goes up to 120m, Secondly, I believe FS9 stutters way more with it than without. I will now have to uninstall it. The company also states that it doesn't mess with the registry . I hope they are right, because everything else about the huge increase in disk performance is just not so. It is that old saying.. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. At least they give you a trial as maybe others have had good results.

I've tried (even bought) it and also their defragger. And to be honest I saw no difference i performance.I think this could be much more usefull (ie management of windows services): http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htmAll the best, Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg