Sign in to follow this  
ilovetofly

Cannot assign mixture axis

I posted this in the Hardware thread but it appears to be more of a 'software' problem.For some strange reason I am unable to assign the mixtures to the levers on my CHTQ. This was not a problem before, since the mixture lever still works on the RealAir Spitfire.Now I am unable to assign mixture to any lever on any aircraft. It shows up fine in the calibration and it shows to be operating correctly. But in the sim there is no response.Also tried FSUIPC and receive the same results. The throttles and the prop levers will work fine as they do in the FS9 assignment page, but not the mixture. The assigment window in FSUIPC shows that the lever responds, but when I go to the calibration window, nothing, nada, no indication that it is being seen.And I have checked all the settings, sensitivities, double assignments, etc. I am baffeled. Even trying to move the mixture control with the mouse has no effect on add-on aircraft, though I can move it with the mouse in the default Cessna. But assigning it to a lever has no effect even in the Cessna.Any ideas???????Sure appreciate the help!Jim

Fs2004 has this nasty habit of undoing a few of the settings you choose for the CHTQ. Go into the fs9 joystick menu and assign all the axis. Check them all for max sensitivity and no null zone. Also uncheck the dreaded "invert axis" checkbox. Hit ok. Now, go back and check all those things *again*. Chances are FS9 is doing something odd to the mixture axis. Keep fixing it and going back until it stops changing. I think the 2nd time usually fixes it for good.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Craig, I've done that several times. Still the same result. Reinstall of FS9??? I hope not. I've never seen this problem before.Thanks for suggesting it though.

You shouldn't have to reinstall. At worst, just rename your fs9.cfg and rebuild it from scratch. Within FSUIPC, do you get full range when you calibrate? The numbers for the left and right axis should be similar. If not, then there is some sensitivity setting somewhere that is set wrong. Also check that some key isn't conflicting on another joystick. I know you checked it, but double check. 99% of the problems with this turn out to be something simple. The trick is just finding the conflict.

Craig from KBUF

Thanks again Craig, but I did all of the above.As I mentioned earlier, in the 'axis assignment' portion of the FSUIPC module, full movement of the axis is observed, even when it is assigned to mixture, but no movement is evident in the calibration portion of FSUIPC for 'separate mixture controls'.Also in the XP calibration window the axis shows movement. So it doesn't work either way, using assigments and calibration in FS9 nor in FSUIPC.By the way I'm using FSUIPC 3.71 and FS9.

If you see full motion under control panel, then you have a calibration problem.Under the mixture controls, you need to pull each mix level all the way back, hit set, move to idle, hit set, forward... etc. Also, under the fs9 controls, check every axis of every controller you have. Rudder pedals, or anything else might have a "phantom" axis that is preventing the rudder from moving. Basically what happens is the one axis cancels out the other. This is under options, controls, assignments, joystick axis. Then with th dropdown, select every controller and make sure nothing other than the CHTQ. Check everything!I remember now I think it was the twist axis of my Saitek X52 which was also acting as a rudder. Also, triple check your sensitivities. Under options, sensitivities, select the throttle, then click advanced. Now set every axis to max sensitivity and no null zone. The mixture is way at the bottom. Chances are you have a huge null zone for the mixture axis. Like I said, fs9 has a weird way of changing these after you set them.

Craig from KBUF

Hi IlovetoflyCan the answer be that in your FS9.cfg file you have added:LOCKED=1to the joystick settings. Then it will be unchangeable.Change it eventually to:LOCKED=0RegardsHenrik KornnigBGGH

Thanks Henrik, but no, I don't have that entry in the FS9.CFG. I am able to reassign that axis to other functions without a problem, e.g. to 'flaps' and it works. But trying to assign any axis to 'mixtures' fails. Doesn't work even in the default Cessna nor in any add-on I have.

It has to be the sensitivity. What is the sensitivity and null zone for each axis under "options", "controls", "sensitivities"? Make sure you pick CH Throttle quadrant, and advanced. I bet the mixture sensitivity is very low and/or it has a big null zone. Note this is in the main FS9 menu, not FSUIPC. If that doesn't work, try reversing the not working axis.

Craig from KBUF

Sorry Craig, been there, did that. Sensitivities are correctly set. Besides, I don't think the sensitivity setting has any effect when the joysticks are disabled and I am attempting to assign axis using FSUIPC. But, just in case, I checked that anyway before.This one has me really baffeled. If nothing new comes across here, I'll try a few things that I really don't want to do. Last resort is a reinstall. Maybe a reinstall of FSUIPC will be my first attempt at curing this problem or eliminateing all FSUIPC settings and start over. Only two aircraft are now set set up with FSUIPC, so it won't be a drastic attempt.Thanks again for trying.

Sensitivity and null zones have everything to do with it. Your joystick isn't disabled, it just isn't registering because either something is conflicting or the sensitivity is too low or the null zone is too big. This would explain why the flaps might work too. You say you checked this, so I don't know what else to say. Just make sure you have all 6 levers set with max sensitivity and no null zone. Under options, controls, sensitivities, make sure you select the advanced option and set all 6 axis. Using simple will not work. Sorry if you already have this. What other controllers do you have? Try unplugging any other controllers except for the throttle. If something is conflicting, that should remove it. As long as you can see it move fully in Windows control panel, your hardware is working and the problem is in fs9. Your problem has to be within the fs9 setup itself and probably the fs9.cfg file. One last try would be to rename your fs9.cfg to something else, and let fs9 build a brand new one. Also, go into your modules folder and just get rid of fsuipc temporarily as well (rename fsuipc.dll to fsuipc.xyz). You'll need FSUIPC to get the throttle working well, but it should work at least at a basic level without it temporarily. You won't get reverse and other things working without it, but you should see movement on the mixture axis. Again, don't reinstall anything or blow out your settings. Just rename the files so you can get them back later. There is nothing that would impact a joystick outside of the fs9.cfg or the fsuipc.ini. Also, are you using the CH software (control manager)? Some people claim that they needed it to get the throttle working, however I've never needed it or ever installed it. http://www.chproducts.com/retail/tech_control_manager.html

Craig from KBUF

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,Is it something to do with the fact that the mixture is a variable like the throttle and therefore you need a variable response like the throttle slide--which presumably is being used for the throttle! and therefore not available.Thinking on this though I have had this thought. My stick is a Logitech Freedom 2.4 and I have the pitch wheel set to buttons 3 and 4 so even though the pitch wheel is infinitely variable it is controlled by those two buttons to pitch up or down and there's no real reason why the mixture could not be set the same way surely?Andy.I'll try in the morning with the Cessna and report back.

Somewhere under your fs9.cfg, you should see a joystick section for each controller. You should see something like this for the TQAXIS_EVENT_00=AXIS_THROTTLE1_SETAXIS_SCALE_00=127AXIS_NULL_00=1AXIS_EVENT_01=AXIS_THROTTLE2_SETAXIS_SCALE_01=127AXIS_NULL_01=1AXIS_EVENT_02=AXIS_PROPELLER1_SETAXIS_SCALE_02=127AXIS_NULL_02=1AXIS_EVENT_03=AXIS_PROPELLER2_SETAXIS_SCALE_03=127AXIS_NULL_03=1AXIS_EVENT_04=AXIS_MIXTURE1_SETAXIS_SCALE_04=127AXIS_NULL_04=0AXIS_EVENT_05=AXIS_MIXTURE2_SETAXIS_SCALE_05=127AXIS_NULL_05=1BUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_00=BRAKESBUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_01=GEAR_TOGGLEBUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_02=FLAPS_DECRBUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_03=FLAPS_INCRBUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_08=LANDING_LIGHTS_TOGGLEBUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_10=VIEW_MODE_REVBUTTON_DOWN_EVENT_11=VIEW_MODE

Craig from KBUF

OK Guys, Located the issue and I want to thank all of you for your interest in trying to solve this problem.The problem is in the current configuration of the FSUIPC as I had suspected. I neutralized the FSUIPC module in FS9 and was able to get the mixture axis to operate. I don't know why I could make other assignments but not the mixture with the current configuration. So I'll reinstall a new FSUIPC module and go from there or undo all the assignments in the current module and start again.