Sign in to follow this  
protzler

Chernobyl isn't modelled in FS?

Hey all,While flying over the Ukraine today, I decided to shoot up from Kiev to check out Chernobyl. I was disappointed to find that FS didn't even include a generic power plant there. I wasn't expecting to find a perfectly modeled NPP, or a detailed rendition of Pripyat, mind you. I just think it's odd that Microsoft didn't think it prudent to even give a hint of a powerplant there.I'm thinking that my coordinates might have been off somewhat. There are two rivers that leave Kiev to the north, I followed the most northwest-heading one. I flew up the river, to no avail, so I looked in Google Earth at the coordinates (51

I tried flying up there a few months back only to find a flat wasteland :( but still a nice flight once the sun started to set :)

Alaister Kay

Guest ha5mvo

Chernobyl is a site where a great tragedy had taken place - many REAL people had lost their life there, and many more were crippled and became ill as a cosequence.I'm sure you guys have nothing but good intentions, but IMO places like chernobyl or ground zero do not belong in a computer game so a "scenery" in that case would at best be a distasteful choice.

Guest aarskringspier

>Chernobyl is a site where a great tragedy had taken place ->many REAL people had lost their life there, and many more were>crippled and became ill as a cosequence.>>I'm sure you guys have nothing but good intentions, but IMO>places like chernobyl or ground zero do not belong in a>computer game so a "scenery" in that case would at best be a>distasteful choice.>Alot of people died in Europe in WWII I suppose we should delete it as well?

Guest ArtieLange

>>Chernobyl is a site where a great tragedy had taken place ->>many REAL people had lost their life there, and many more>were>>crippled and became ill as a cosequence.>>>>I'm sure you guys have nothing but good intentions, but IMO>>places like chernobyl or ground zero do not belong in a>>computer game so a "scenery" in that case would at best be>a>>distasteful choice.>>>>>Alot of people died in Europe in WWII I suppose we should>delete it as well?Good point, 57 people died in the May 18 eruption of Mt St Helens, all but a few were in the "safe zone", and most of bodies are still there buried in mud and ash.

ha5mvo,I live in Poland, less than 500 miles from Chernobyl.The disaster happened when I was a teenager.I remember everything very well. It was Monday morning. There was panic around although the media tried to hide the fact.Polish research stations measured that the gamma rays level was a few times higher and the beta radiation was a few hundred times higher. The level of Cesium-135 was... 80000 higher!We were immediately taken to hospitals and served liquid iodine to help in case of radioactive contamination.Fortunately the radiation turned out to be too weak to endanger Polish citizens seriously. But who could know that then?Frankly speaking I don't mind having Chernobyl scenery in the FS.On the contrary - pretending it doesn't exist will not save anyone.Of course as long as someone doesn't come up with an idea of playing the disaster itself. But it would be a stupid as crashing a default 773 into WTC. We are serious, aren't we.Best regards,Rafal

Guest jmfabio

If you fly into KMDT (Harrisburgh International, in Pennsylvania) you will see that Three Mile Island is still there, to the south, with one reactor operating. Three Mile Island had one reactor partially meltdown in 1979.

>Frankly speaking I don't mind having Chernobyl scenery in the>FS.Me too. But may be Microsoft decided not to have such place in FS - who knows why...

Guest ha5mvo

>>>Alot of people died in Europe in WWII I suppose we should>delete it as well?'cmon, the issue was not the geographical location but a "scenery" of the broken reactor...so what's next Randy? a scenery of Auschwitz with some smoke effects??can you still not see my point?

Guest thedoggg

"I'm sure you guys have nothing but good intentions, but IMO places like chernobyl or ground zero do not belong in a computer game so a "scenery" in that case would at best be a distasteful choice."Then we should also delete all the airports and aircraft that have been involved in fatal accidents too.If this "game" is trying to model the real world then it should be there if it is there in the real world.Regards, Carlos

Guest ArtieLange

>>>>>>>Alot of people died in Europe in WWII I suppose we should>>delete it as well?>>>'cmon, the issue was not the geographical location but a>"scenery" of the broken reactor...>so what's next Randy? a scenery of Auschwitz with some smoke>effects??>can you still not see my point?He didn't ask for a smoking Chernobyl, I see your point about a smoking Aushwhitz, but I see nothing wrong about having Auschwitz there.I suppose we should put a pre 1980 Mt St Helens in flight sim, since having a "broken" mountain that killed people, whose bodies are still there would be wrong in your mind. The red zone back then was not based on danger, but on a certain timber company's property line so they could continue to log the area. If it had erupted on a monday many, many more people would have died. It was a natural disaster, but the supposed safe area was not based on science, it was determined by politics and the pull of a very large company.

Is Microsoft expected to model every power plant in the world?

Guest AOA

Hi"Is Microsoft expected to model every power plant in the world?"I agreeIf you want it modeled no one is stopping you from doing so.As an afterthought I feel real bad about the folks that were affected by this tragic event.

Google Earth uses the WGS84 world grid system just like the GPS system.This is different than the traditional surveys so almost all locations you see will be off about 100 meters.(You should have heard the county records office explaining why a GPS says my survey for my home lot is wrong - and why it will never be changed. Of course you know how long 'never' is in political situations)That said, you should be able to see a scenery object if you got that close.I don't think FS models any specific power plants as scenery objects.If you check the EURE scenery folder, the only specific location objects modeled are in the Athems.bgl & Moscow.bgl file. The texture folder tells me that the Kremlin is the object in MoscowThe ASIA folder only has objects for Beijing.bgl, HongKong.bgl, Jerusa,bgl, KualaLum.bgl, Tokyo.bgl .The cities folder does not include anything close to that part of Russia/ Ukraine.That's the easiest way to check to see if something is modeled in FS - look for a scenery file for that area.The 'generic' power plants are normally placed by autogen, but they can be in the OB file for a region. Those files also include the terminal buildings and hangers for the airports. A few unique objects might be included in that file(s), but almost allways only generic or standard library objects are placed.

Guest magnum_force

I like disater sites and wish they were modeled in FS. It is part of life and part of the real world in which we live. Ignoring it does not make it go away.Aushwitz (spelling not correct) would be nice from a historical point of view, (although not viewable from any height but ground level if it were there) as it is historically important to remember the abuses of different races of people. Probably not suited for FS though. Wikipedia for death camp learning.St. Helens is great for FS. It does have a historical importance and is used for a visual aid.The Oregon trail and Sante Fe trail are also historically important and pertain to real terrain features. Several features from the trails have been modeled. I live right on the convergence of both trails, and death was a very common thing along the trails, as I see all the graves along the way to the grocery store.So, logically, the earth is a giant graveyard that is one huge disaster site over many years. So, as we fly, we are actually flying over a great disaster that is also very beutiful.I do find the modeled NYC twin towers not suited for me and have never had them in my simulator.It makes me miss them more than I do already as they were beutiful towers.Flight Simulator is cool.