Sign in to follow this  
HBelz4

What is Autoland?

Hi,Could someone please tell me what atoland is, what it does and how to use it?Thanks very muchBen

I'm no real-world expert in these things, but I'll see if I can take a crack at it. Autoland is, essentially, an autopilot component that allows for a so-called "hands off landing". It works with the autopilot's Approach setting when established on a localizer, and executes a flare at the right time to set the bird on the runway. Normally, on ILS approaches, the pilot must take control on the last 600 or so feet AGL, and adjust the plane's speed and attitude to guide it to the ground safely. Autoland does these things for you.Hope that helps. Maybe someone with more technical expertise can fill in the blanks here. Cheers!JonathanKATL

Guest DanWalloch

Jon has it right. Autoland is just that, part of an autopilot that will do everything for the final approach phase (flaps, thrust,[not sure about gear], the to concret touch down and thrust reverse. Plus are auto brakes and auto spoiler that must be set by the pilot. Autoland uses the ILS to line itself up and lands, normally the pilots would take over at 200 feet agl and hand land it.

I personnaly have used it once, and will never again. I just love landing the plane !