Sign in to follow this  
Damien BRUNET

Flight Environment and ActiveSky

Hi everyone,I've read some good reviews about Flight Environment and ActiveSky and on this forum I realized some people bought both add-ons. Don't you think these two add-ons are nearly similar, as far as sky and clouds are concerned since ActiveSky brings new sky and cloud textures ? I think we can get best sky effects only with ActiveSky and in that case, Flight Environment will be useful only for water textures ...Your opinion about it ?Regards,Damien - LFQQ.http://damiendelille.free.fr/Cliparts/Avion.gif

Not exactly the same.I'm using Flight Environment for both water and sky/cloud textures.I just found their textures more convincing and comfortable.However, of course, I'm using ActiveSky for what it does best - recreating real wetaher conditions flying on-line.The two co-operate flawlessly, at least for me.Maybe experimenting more would change my mind, but since I bought FE first, I'm maybe too lazy to try more. ;-) What's more, as they say, why change something that works fine...But if others have different experience about it, I'll be glad to hear too.Best regards,Rafal

Hmm highly dependent on personal taste. I've found that FE does nice clouds - the first set you're presented with after install is good enough. I don't fiddle with it.I used to use FE for sky and water, now I use Real Env Pro. And as Rafal said, ASky for the core weather engine grunt.Seems to be a winning combo. However I haven't the patience nor the time to sift though dozens of cloud sets in various programs and pick out the difference. I'll leave that for the more hardcore among us.A cloud's a cloud's a cloud.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

It's definitely equal. But "Better" comes down to personal taste really. I like the colours plus the big, glary sun that REPro has. The "dark" water set is very nice too. It suits me. I'm trying to < my tinkering hours, and > my flying hours :-)

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Hi Damien,I Use Active Sky 6.5 + Real Sky 3 by Sandon Lyon which is an inexpensive commercial addon for both FS9 and FSX including clouds, sky and water textures (you can read an Avsim review here : http://www.avsim.com/pages/0307/RS3/RS3.htm) and am quite happy with that combo. I can not compare it to FE though as I do not have it.Jean-PaulPS : Eh bien Damien,

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Guest PARADISE

As stated above by several posters, this is a matter of personal taste. I use a mixture of FE (cloud and water), Soft Horizons by John Cillis, softhr.zip, for haze and softer horizon effects, and FS Real World WX. I'm sure one day I'll get ActiveSky, but for the type of sim flying I do the FS weather is good enough for me, as long as the sky,clouds and water look realistic I'm one happy pilot:-) John M

Active Sky is a must have. I didn't think this was the case until I owned it (after much touting here on the forums).I use GE Pro for my default ground textures and FE for clouds and sky (and I use Holgers selected set in FE, it looks great and he does have an eye for FS ;) )

I did use FSMETAR but found it was lacking. After so many testimonials on here about ASV6 I went for it (could not find one bad comment about ASV6).I use ASV6 and a reg copy of FSUIPC and found weather to be fantastic (within FS limit's of course). The options are endless between the two.