Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Runway 12 Object Placer problem

I have been adding some missing Greenland airport bgls over the past few days, and thought I would add a helicopter pad to each one, using Rwy12. It all looks quite nice now, with the AVSIM Greenland heliports file in place, but I have one infuriating problem. I have used Rwy12 "Chopper Pads - Lt. Finney" to add the 'Octagon with nets' pad. It is raised above the ground and accessed by some steps. But every time I start up a flight on one of these pads, the helicopter sits on the ground below the pad, so that the pad cuts the chopper in half vertically, so to speak. I have tried everything to correct this that I can think of - including altering the elevation of the airport bgl with AFCAD2, but to no avail.If I slew the chopper up and back down again, it sits solidly on the pad, but if I save the flight like that, it opens again with the helicopter on the ground, not on the pad, so I have to slew again.I am sure I am doing something silly, but can't see what. Any ideas how I can get flights to open with the helicopter in the correct position? Tried editing the .flt file directly - again, no use....Thanks,Martin

Guest wji

"the helicopter sits on the ground below the pad,"Roger that. In layman's terms: "That's the way it is."The simplest solution is to use Finney's helipads as intended: for landing helos on.They work just fine once FS9 is up-and-runningThe hard way (some people are not opposed to this method) is to create a basic AFCAD2 file with the runway height (or parking spot) to match that of the helipad.I've done this with one helipad but concluded it's more trouble than it's worth.Thanks to Lt.Finney for his FREE chopper_pads.zip here at avsim library[/font size]

"The simplest solution is to use Finney's helipads as intended: for landing helos on" ..You mean they aren't designed as start points for helos I assume? Oh well ..I did try changing airport elevations using AFCAD2 - may have to make some flatten bgls too for the terrain. So far, no luck, choppers still on the ground not on the pad, but I'll give it another go - it was late and maybe I did something dumb. In the end, it is rather a lot of bother to do all that for the few times I am likely to use the pads, I agree. I've programmed my Nostromo N52 keypad to go to skew, lift the chopper up and put it back down again on the pad, then shut off skew, all at the click of a button, so that's probably the easiest thing to go along with. Just not very 'neat'..Thanks,M.

Changing airport elevation doesn't work - I assume that the elevation is set by the bgls in "greenland_ports_and_docks_v2.zip" which I installed. Just have to keep to my slew method.M.

Guest wji

"Just have to keep to my slew method."Your call, captain.Logic dictates if the chopper_pad has a solid concrete (or any other type of AF2 runway) sitting underneath it at exactly the same level, there's no way any aircraft can sink through it.Here's a couple of screenshots showing my FS9 Bell206 sitting on the chopperpad from the FS9 Startup Position (Saved Flight). I did not invent this method; I simply read it in a forum post and followed the instructions.Good Luck.[/font size]http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/169365.jpgThe above screenshot was taken at dusk so the AF2 runway lights are visiblehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/169366.jpgThis collage shows the AFCAD2 details of the New Airport