Sign in to follow this  
acmech

Windows Vista will it help FS?

Has anybody tired Windows Vista with fs9 or fsx?Will it help performance in either of the sims?

Lots of people have. And the results are all over the place. Some good some bad. Me personally? XP ain't worth giving up yet.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

thanks could you be so kind and post a link to where fs9 is used with vista.

On the same computer, no way Vista is going to be better performance wise than XP. With the same hardware, using more resources and more memory for the Operating System leaves less for the game to use.Now on a new computer built for Vista FS2004 and FSX run great on Vista if the computer has the processor horsepower, memory, hard drives, graphics card, front side bus, etc....Just as FS2004 runs poorly on a low end XP computer, it runs poorly on a low end Vista computer. FSX even more so.

I do not understand what has been up with microsoft:-grnmd lately....Maybe they are going to make to SUPER patch that will fix everything:-xxrotflmao.

My FS9 runs slower on a clean installed Vista than on a clogged up old XP installation (different hard drives, same PC).Will probably be a few more months before ATI and Nvidia release drivers that will get the best out of Vista.

It's complete hype that somehow FS9 runs better on Vista. And if someone tells you thats what they experienced then clearly its some other factors coming into play. Vista doesn't "make" games better, its just an OS.

Sure it's just an OS, but it does have a new memory management system, system cache system, and DirectX/graphics driver implementation. Any of which could impact the performance of FS9.scott s..

Guest SilverCircle

>Sure it's just an OS, but it does have a new memory>management system, system cache system, and DirectX/graphics>driver implementation. Any of which could impact the>performance of FS9.Its memory managment isn't much different from XP. After all, it is still the same base technology in the kernel. System cache has nothing to do with framerates in games, it may or may not improve the loading time of a large application, but that's about it. Same goes for new technologies like superfetch and readyboost. They may help to make the system more responsive under heavy loads, but they are not going to help an application like FS9 which is fully loaded into memory and, in most cases, is the only program with heavy demand on resources running at the same time (unless, you don't care and let half a dozen other apps running in the background, doing their jobs - i guess, most people don't do this while simming).These "marketing buzzwords" usually don't hold up in reality.Fact is: Right now, *everything* runs a bit slower on Vista, because the OS alone is using more resources for its own needs. There isn't any way around it and there isn't any kind of "magic" involved. Marketing people will always tell you the new product is better and try to convince you of purchasing it. That's their job and that's what they get paid for (sometimes, quite a lot, actually).We will see what the future will bring - DX10 and the new video driver model has, at least, the potential to improve things, even for DX9 games. Time will tell...

>>Its memory managment isn't much different from XP. After all,>it is still the same base technology in the kernel. System>cache has nothing to do with framerates in games, it may or>may not improve the loading time of a large application, but>that's about it. Same goes for new technologies like>superfetch and readyboost. They may help to make the system>more responsive under heavy loads, but they are not going to>help an application like FS9 which is fully loaded into memory>and, in most cases, is the only program with heavy demand on>resources running at the same time (unless, you don't care and>let half a dozen other apps running in the background, doing>their jobs - i guess, most people don't do this while>simming).I guess my system needs some major sorting, because on my setup FS9 is constantly reading and loading files while running. How do you get FS9 to keep all files loaded?scott s..

Guest SilverCircle

>I guess my system needs some major sorting, because on my>setup FS9 is constantly reading and loading files while>running. How do you get FS9 to keep all files loaded?Its normal. No PC will be able to keep that huge amount of data in memory all the time. A good mesh alone can account for several hundred megabytes of data for a relatively small region. Add textures, objects, AI aircraft models + textures, your own aircraft (the textures alone for a high quality aircraft can be up to 100 megabytes) and you may get multiple gigabytes of data needed.So, some disk activity while flying is normal and not avoidable. Of course, it depends on many things. Flying around with default mesh, default landclass in a simple aircraft will result in low disk activity if you have enough RAM (the operating systems cache will keep files cached in memory). Flying over highly detailed photoscenery with 38.5m mesh can cause heavy disk activity, because there won't be enough RAM to cache all the files.

Guest DocW

I'd like to chime in here, if I may. My computer vendor told my on my request to install 4 GB ram on my system, that this would most likely slow it down (please regard my sig for specs). Is that true ? I thought, the more ram, the better, or is that too naive?I realise this is a hardware question, but while you are at it ...