Sign in to follow this  
Guest Terblanche

Select Another Approach

Guest Terblanche

At some airports you have the option to fly the approach via a FIX point ... most airports do not have any other choice accept doing the zig-zag ATC approach.Is there software available to alter the different approaches for a specific airport, to be able to add an option in the above mentioned menu for ANOTHER APPROACH to a specific runway?Kind regardsTerblanche

Check www.fsdeveloepr.comAdding approaches is tricky and has to be done writing XML code in a text editor.But it can be done.One thing about MS's default vectors - make sure you have the GPS open and can verify you are flying exactly the heading given by ATC. Being off two or four degrees for wind can push you off the direct course very quickly.

Or, if the weather allows, and you have terminal charts, simply 'go' VFR and land the actual terminal procedure as you wish, keeping in mind wind direction. Contact the tower before you get to the airport (20-30 miles out), and tell them of your intention to land. You will typically be given clearance to land on the RWY of your choice (the pattern you have chosen) if it meets the conditions.

I think in the GPS all available (at release of FS9) approaches are listed and can be loaded, but the ATC function will not offer all of them via the select different runway / approach menus. I saw something from Jim Vile that in particular, there are limitations on the transitions to an ILS procedure that ATC will offer.scott s..

Yep, and I use RXP GPS units, I tend to go VFR when the terminal approach I desire isn't offered in FS. Weather permitting, and I don't want to get yelled at by the tower that the airport is IFR. ;)