Sign in to follow this  
jmbiii

I Have 2 Planes That Won't Fly - Why ?

I need a bit of help. As I'm fairly new to FS9 (7 months) I haven't seen all there is, so please bear with me.I have two planes downloaded that do everything but get off the ground. All of the functions work as advertised . . engines, avionics, panels, animated features - flaps, control surfaces, etc. I can taxi out to the end of the runway, throttle up, roll down the runway gain speed past V1, V2 etc. pull the nose up and the a/c stays on the ground. Obviously something is amiss. I've tried erasing and reloading the files to no avail. The planes in question are a Piper Tri-Pacer and a Pilatus PC-21. Both appear to be well done models by different authors.Can anyone give me a tip or two ? I've tried searching the forums for similar, but . . . . Joe

Schnelle Autos, schöne Frauen und deutsches Bier !

"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Hey Joe,Kind of a simplistic suggestion, but have you tried adjusting the trim and/or payload of those aircraft? Are you using the Simshed PC-21? If so, I've tried that and it works correctly for me. Have you tried using the keyboard to command up-elevator (turn off num-lock, then hold down the number 2), to eliminate the possibility of it being a problem with your joystick?

Guest tango papa

Check to see if the A/C folder for each plane, has a cfg and air file. Also do a check in the library for any updated files for each A/C. Did you copy the cages from the zip files to the FS9 Gauge folder. If still having problems, go back to square-1, delete the two A/C folders, and start over.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

Make sure they're not overloaded as well.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Thanks for the replies.I have checked both a/c folders. Both have cfg and air files. I compared the cfg file of the Piper with comparable a/c (cessna and the cub) and every thing seems to be in line . . the weights, moments of inertia, control settings, etc. The same with the PC-21 compared with similar a/c.The planes are not overloaded - one 200 pound pilot and I even "drained" 1/4 tank of fuel to lighten the load.Joystick works - as when I pull back the nose comes up.Is there a setting for local gravity ? :-lol Maybe things are just too heavy here . . . if I start at an airport in Oz or NZ I may have to add ballast ! :-lol I'll keep trying.Joe

Do you have metric units set instead of lbs in the sim?200 Kg <> 200 lbsFlaps set correctly for takeoff?RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

All right ! I don't know why or what, but I managed to get them both to fly.How ?Well . . I went into the slew mode, picked the a/c up about 10 feet (F3) then dropped it by hitting (Y). When the dust settled the engine was running and the a/c was moving across the ground quite rapidly. I went back into slew mode brought the plane back to the airport, then out of slew, and was able to taxi to runway and take off ! Putted around, shot a few "crash & dash", then landed and taxied back to the ramp. Really strange ! ??? Is that method familiar to any one? It's sort of like what you do to a piece of electronics that isn't working quite right . . slap it around lightly and jar it into working. :-yellow1

Yeah but when someone asked you if you use 'trim' you never replied?

Dave Taylor gb.png

>Yeah but when someone asked you if you use 'trim' you never>replied?No. I had checked my trims, weight & balances . . . all were well within limits.

The autopilot doesn't happen to somehow come on during takeoff, does it? I mean simply on, it doesn't have to be set to any specific altitude. I know that can cause your a/c to not respond to elevator inputs.

Guest wji

". . all were well within limits."Roger that, but you state the aircraft will still not takeoff; it's time to get more specific: would that be +5 or +6 nose-up trim?Really, the only way to know for sure is to ALWAYS use the recommended procedure for new or complex aircraft and that is to load the FS9 Default Flight (I use the Default Seattle) which loads everything clean (including trim set to take-off); then load your new or complex aircraft for a "no-garbage" flight. Once everything checks-out o.k., the procedure can be repeated but this time move to a parking spot and (S)ave the flight for the next time. Remember: with computers it's "garbage in garbage out". any anomalies (S)aved with the flight will be loaded each time that flight is loaded in an endless circle (until said flight is deleted and the process completed correctly)P.S. I fly Brain Gladden's FS2k2 PC-12 filename: pc-12_combi.zip in FS2004 (FS9) and it climbs like a bird -- over 3000'/per/min if required.

Guest allcott

At some point you have saved a flight with the autopilot on, When you start the sim the aircraft you have loaded now thinks that the a/p is trying to keep the aircraft level and winds on full nose down trim. Trim cannot be adjusted by eye without a grpah or chart to tell you where it should be. So set the trim to the zero mark, start the take off run, then pull the joystick back justa little way, then add up trim until the aicraft flies off. You are now in trim.Hope this helps.Allcott