Sign in to follow this  
RobdeVries

OmWings Fokker F-28 Fellowship First Impression

First the small print:I'm not affialated to OmWings. I'm just a customer who like to share his impressions of this aircraft with the FS community.What: OmWings Fokker F-28 Fellowship (for FS9/FSX)Where: http://omwings.com/omwings_fokker_f28.htmWho: Oliver Moserhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/169453.jpgApril 2. 12:19 GMT+1. Great spring weather!. The Fokker F-28 PH-CHD waiting to be loaded at Bristol. Fire Department fire engines in the background, holding 100 gallons of premixed AFFF in the tank. (scenery UK2000 Bristol Xtreme)As a Dutchman I really like to see a great rendition of the Fokker F28. A plane important for dutch aviation history. There are of course freeware alternatives from Project Fokker, which is also great in it's own way. I recommend to have them both! However the reason I choose and prefer the Omwings rendition of the Fokker F28 is because of the possibility to fly from a VC and I really like the system depth. While IMHO the F28 is not an overtly complex aircraft it gives enough challenge at those stormy approaches.Furthermore I like the cabin crew calls and the help of my virtual copilot. To sum it up, it's an all round neat package which is friendly on the frames.Some nitpicking.However I also have to be honest. There are a few area's of improvement, one of them being the rather bland VC textures. As we live, at the time of writing, in the spring of 2007, these aircraft are 20+ years old. I bet they have endured thousands and thousands of flight hours. I like to see these remnants of use in the Virtual Cockpit.And there are a few little quirks, like you have to set DIM LT step for step to BRT if you want a instrument lighting. Well I don't see any instrument back lighting? These day's however it's quite normal to have gauge back lighting implemented. Even more so since Bill Leaming gave us his great, but for me very complicated, tutorial on designing instrument back lighting. And what's more when I set INST LT to BRT in the VC I don't get panel lighting. No I get a 2d panel night lighted. That's right the VC jumps back the 2D. And do I need to mention the sounds? Well I do and the only thing I'm gonna say is that in the cockpit of a F28/F70 you hardly hear the engines in cruise. Only ob approach/climb you hear those engines whine while spooling up and down. And yes I have been in the cockpit of the Fokker several times in my life.And there's one major point for improvement. I like to see a working custom GPS implemented. Preferably a type which 'could' be implemented originally in the F28. I say 'could' because I have hunch that each airline had it's own configuration installed in the F28. However I'm sure these things are easily corrected or could be part of a major upgrade/update in the near future. Why do I say this? Well I have a feeling that Oliver Moser has quite an open mind to further improve on an already great aircraft.Conclusion or Fazit as my German neighbour's call it. The OmWings Fokker F28 Fellowship is nice if you want to step up from a FS default tube liner to more serious flying. Good system replication because while meant for short and medium range (regional) flying it gives enough work to do. Great performance on low and mid range PC systems. however could use improved sounds, VC textures and a working GPS.The real Fazit: Really nice plane, I like it and I'm a whiner when it comes to tube liners. I like good frames (not below 20) not too overly complex (don't have the time to read hours before starting engine 1) and I'm glad to see a nice rendition of a dutch airplane. And as a Dutchman: the price is right!Thanks for reading and comments are welcome of course..All the best,Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Hello RobThanks for taking the time post your thoughts on this fokker.I may still get this one but i am a bit disappointed about the back lighting issues.

This will be a hard sell, considering Project Fokker's free offering

Hellonot if you only fly from the VC with Track IR

I'm interested in this; it seems reasonably priced. Anymore impressions?ricardo

Looked good, until I read this:"Nimmt man zum ersten Mal im Cockpit des Regionaljets Platz, so stechen zuerst die gr

Yep, it's the same I said above. Although this review is quite old and the Fokker seem to have improved and I spoke Oliver and he said he's still on further developing the F-28There was one funny thing in the review. The reviewer mentioned that there's a INS in the F-28 but I haven't found one. However it would be a nice addition. Just like the INS addon from Meatwater for the Dreamfleet2000 B-727 v2Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Is there a video tutorial...or a support forum? (I looked, no luck.)

Edited by rennman

Err - those posts were from 2007, so I'm not surprised...

Graeme Butler