Sign in to follow this  
Guest brigden

Project Canarias 2006

Guest brigden

I have installed this excellant scenery & was highly amazed. I have only one big problem at this moment. When aproaching the island of Gran Canaria, all is fine but as soon as I cross the coastline my whole system crashes out to my desktop view.I can fly around & over all of the other islands with no problems.Has anybody any idea as to why this should happen.I must also say that I have now downloaded, installed & uninstalled 3 times & each time the same problem occurs.Help Dennis

Hi Dennis,Sounds like it could be related to your graphics card drivers. Can you post details of your system?I've had this scenery for about a year now and it's fine on my system.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest brigden

Hi Ray.This is my system.P4 2.4, 1Gb RAM, MS-StarForce GeForce FX5700 Ultra 128Mb running 2 displays. Main at 1280 x 1024 x 32 the other 800 x 600. WXP Home.250 Gb HD.Everything runs perectly smoothly over all other islands at 40 - 60 fps. As soon as I cross the coastline of Gran Canary (still at the same fps) whole of Fs9 switches off.I am normally running VFR scenery of England with most sliders set to max & have never had this problem. If you also use this scenery then you must know how dense London is!!! I have no problems at all, ok fps drops a lot in that area, but thats all.I have just run the scenery manager & this tells me that all 5 islands are instslled. When I exit I get ERROR... File not found... message, but it does not state, what file. How can I locate this, any idea?Where can I go from here.Thanks....Dennis

Hi Dennis,The FX5700 isn't the fastest card around and this is quite demanding scenery. However, it seems strange the problem only occurs with Gran Canary.I've just run manager.exe in the data folder and it output the following to data.csy. The spaces have been put in by the program:LA_PALMA_ONEL_HIERRO_ONLA_GOMERA_ONTENERIFE_ONGRAN_CANARIA_ONCOASTLINE_ONFIRST LAYER AVAILABLE=155213D_LIGHTS_ONNIGHT_TEXTURES_ON132133135136137138134There will be a difference in the scenery numbers but everything else should be identical. Can you post your results? You can use NotePad to open data.csy.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>could it be an double afcad issueExactly. A double AFCAD or a double or lose landclass file.Search for them and try to deactivate (e.g. change BGL into BAK anything else).Best regards,Rafal

Guest brigden

Hi RayI have checked what you have asked & my data.sys is identical to yours except for the " First layer available= 155 " for me.But I now have a very big problem. I told you that I ran the... scenery manager... & I got into problems. There was no way that I could get out of this ERROR message, only by switching my whole system off. On restarting I tried again to load Fs9 & I got Scenery.cfg errors for many areas. I finally went back to England scenery & lost most colours, everything was almost Blue.I think that the only thing that I can now do is to use the uninstall & perhaps start all over again.Sorry, but I am not so with it these days at 75 years old & I just hope & pray that I can get all of my England scenery back working again. I will not do anything at this moment untill I here from you again.Dennis

Hi Dennis,I'm sorry to hear of your problems. The good news is that they're almost certainly related to one file - your scenery.cfg. Locate the main FS9 folder where this file is stored. See if you have any other scenery.cfg type files. They won't have that exact name of course but should include part of it. Typical names might be oldscenery.cfg.What we're looking for is one dated prior to when you installed the Canary Islands scenery. I'm hoping that software will have made a copy prior to updating it.Once you have found one then rename your current scenery.cfg (to badscenery.cfg) and copy the older one and rename it scenery.cfg. Start FS9 and see if it starts okay.If it does it will be lacking the entries for the Canary Islands but we can add those entries manually.The important thing is to get FS running and I'm pretty sure a different scenery.cfg will do that. It should also sort out your scenery for England but one step at a time.Once FS is running again we can check for duplicate AFCAD files. These relate to airports and having two for one airport can cause problems as the other guys have hinted.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest brigden

Hi Again Ray.Since I sent you my last message I have been looking & have printed out my current "scenery.cfg" file & I see that all "AREAS" are somehow doubled up. What I will try tomorrow is to EDIT this file, of course save this existing one, & see as to what happens then. Its now time for me to take the dog out for a walk & then to bed.Tomorrow is another day. First starting with reinstalling our TV & video recorders as the Cable company is going digital. No peace for the wicked.Hope to give you better news tomorrow.Dennis

Hi Dennis,Sounds like you're on top of the situation :-) I'll pick up your reply tomorrow and if needed I'll be around from 5pm for any help you may need.Good luck!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest brigden

Hi Ray.I have had a very busy day today. First with the really stupid cable TV system installing, but I won't waste your time over this.As I said last night I would have to edit my scenery.cfg file.Well this afternoon I looked into this & found that this was a complete mess. If I looked at [area 1] the data was doubled up & then [area 2] was the same info also doubled up, etc etc.I then stopped, as this made no sence at all. I then looked at the "b4fore scenery. cfg" & realised that this was what I had before downloading the Canary scenery. I made a copy of this outside of fs9 & de-installed Canary. I then renamed that file as "scenery.cfg". Swiched on FS9 & found that 2 scenery files were missing. No real problem, only to do with a Turkish Mesh & UK ANO scenery. This I was able to recover & all works now as normal, thank goodness.At this moment in time, I do not feel like attempting to reinstall The Canary Islands. I am not so happy with Auto Install systems. Would prefer to download to a dir. o.side of FS9 & then Move over when I am happy with the data. How to do this with Canary, I have no idea.Well this is how I stand at this moment. I hope that you can follow all of this & that it makes sense to you.By the way I am English, but living here in Holland, close to The Hague.I really apreciate the help that you have given me.Dennis

Hi Dennis,Good news that you've sorted the mess out. At some point in the future you could try reinstalling CI scenery as you seem to know what you're doing. Just make a copy of sceenry.cfg beforehand.I also prefer to install manually but I guess the automated installer makes it easy for the uninitiated.Going back to your original problem I suspect it was because of a duplicate AFCAD for GCLP or another airport in the area. Search the AvSim library for, and install, ScanAFD which checks for duplicate BGL files containing airport data.Holland eh? Then you will understand how I feel as a Liverpool supporter. :-)Glad you're up and running again! :-wave

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest brigden

Hi Ray & all other members who have sent in suggestions to me.Many thanks for your support. Today I came across another older .cfg scenery file. On opening this I came across scenery that was no longer in my existing cfg file. I have printed this out also my existing file & compared the 2. To my horror I see that, for instance, all of my Belgium, Ireland, Genisis Mesh, Channel Islands, Jersey, Alderney & Scotflight sceneries are no longer installed.So before I take up your suggestion, plus others, to investigate using Scanafd, I am very busy trying to reinstate all of the missing sites. You can imagine that I AM NOT AMUSED BY ALL OF THIS. How on earth this has happened is beyond my simple mind. So when all of this is back & working, then I will look further into your suggestions.Sorry Ray, but I am not a football fanatic, cricket is my sport. I came over to Holland some 30 years ago & coached proffesionally for around 12 years. In England I worked for 25 years by a company Reddiffusion Flight Simulation in Crawley, Sussex. Thus my interest in this "sport".Regards ......Dennis

Hi Dennis,If you've lost the entries for various scenery packages it's not the end of the world. You can add them manually using the option inside FS. Search for Scenery Library and read up how to do it. If you need help then come back here. Bear in mind that all the scenery still exists on your system - it's just not being referenced by FS. This may have happened because not all scenery packages make a copy of your scenery.cfg before it's updated.If you feel there are too many to add manually then just reinstall the scenery and they'll be created automatically. Make sure you use the same folders as originally.Once you're happy with the scenery then we can tackle duplicate AFCADs as airport bgl files are known.Cricket eh? ;-) A gentleman's game! Sadly the events in the West Indies have overshadowed the tournament. Flight sim can become very addictive and your enjoyment of it will be enhanced by membership of this forum. :-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather