Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eagle92395

Getting a new G-Card...what's it like?

Guest AAF

Hi, I just want to know what you guys who have the GF4 Ti4400 or 4200 series think, performance wise, and display wise. Do you get blurries or anything a lot? I want to know what it will be like when I get mine on friday, which is a big step up from my dinosaur of a TNT2.

Guest Eagle92395

You'll pee your pants :) That is a ridiculous jump in capabilities... not only do you get things like pixel shaders and T&L, but the speed jump will amaze you. I went from a Geforce 4 to a Radeon 9700 and it was a nice jump, but in my other computer, went from a TNT Vanta 16mb(!!!!) to the Gf4 above and it was like a new computer. I could get about 13 FPS on Quake 3 (couldn't even run Unreal Tourn 2k3), and the Gf4 gave me like 50FPS on a 700Mhz rig.Oh yeah, don't waste the extra cash on the 4400, the 4200 with a good cooler (buy a name brand like MSI, BFG... one with a good fan/heatsink) and you can overclock them to 4600 specs w/o any problems.

Guest Vulcho

I have a 4200 64MB and it's very good with FS. I lock my frames at 20 and get good results. Just one thing, don't expect to get rid of the blurries. Odds are against you on that one.But if you buy a good 4200 say 128MB and overclock it it would boost performance.Alex.AlexNatchev@Yahoo.comERROR:Banner is 6.6KB, 15 pixels (width) above limit. Cannot Display!

Guest AAF

I might try overclocking it. I'm going to grab a 128'er too, I can't wait :)

Guest Stratus_Fractus

What are your system specs? To make such a huge jump might mean that your CPU/RAM could be a new bottleneck.

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro - makes a 4200 or 4400 look like preschool material for $199 or less. I had a Ti4200 last year, I should know.-Matt

Guest Eagle92395

Not necessarily, I have a 9700 Pro and had a 64Mb 4200 overclocked a lot, and it isn't near the jump that most people think. It definitely is noticable, but you have to think of the jump he'll already be making. You can grab a BFG Asylum 64Mb 4200 for $99 shipped on sale. I wouldn't jump to 128 Mb yet (unless you really want it...), most games and manufactures have already stated that they won't pursue gaming that can use the 128Mb overhead for a while.

64MB!? Are you crazy, at these low prices for 128MB? If your going to get a video card, get one that will last you as long as you TNT has my friend. Games do use 128MB, they may not be intended for it, but that's not to say they don't cache more textures in there. You will see when you engage spiffy features like T&L, AA, and Anistropic filtering, plus stuff like reflections - it will make a sizeable difference.-Matt

Guest ha5mvo

I recently got the Ti 4200 (Asus 128Mb), which replaced my Geforce 2 mx 200.The difference is quite notable!!Not just in FPS (went up by 5-6) but in visual quality.Just set aniso filtering x4 (+ texture sharpening) and follow Paull01 suggestions on fs2002.cfg modification it's bye bye blurries!! textures are vivid and razor sharp.oh yeh, you can leave the AA off, I never noted any difference in visual quality and AA is quite heavy on frames.cheers//Mike

Guest cw1011

You won't notice an increase in frames, but you will have a significantly more clarity and vibrancy. The blurries won't go away -FS is programed to reduce visibility as you look out - its the way the program is designed, but your textures will have improved sharpness, especially in the mountains. I have the 4200 with 128 megs. Great value when I bought it for less than $200, even more so at the much lower prices now available. It's a good move. Next to upgrading your processor, upgrading the card is the best, most economical way to improve how FS looks. Colin

Guest Eagle92395

All I'm saying redbomberman is that it sounds like his system isn't the fastest thing on the market if he still has a TNT card. A 128Mb card or a 9700 Pro will be like putting a Ferrari engine in a Model T. It is a waste of money and capability. Right now, a 64Mb card is under $100, and he could grab a better processor or more memory for the extra $100 that you are spending on the 128Mb cards. Not to mention, a 64Mb actually uses faster memory (and outperforms a 128 on most tests), it just doesn't have the higher bandwidth that the 128Mb does. I DO have a 128Mb card and enjoy it, but I also have a 2.8Ghz system with new mobo and DDR400 memory. I have a 64Mb Gf4 card in my Athlon 1.4 and it is also wonderful.

64MB cards only have the faster memory on nVidia cards, I was quite PO'ed about that when I had my Ti4200. The Radeon 9500 Pro is a bit difference. Far more powerful than a Ti4600 with AA and Anistropic filtering esp. @ 1024 and higher.-Matt

Guest AAF

i am buying a new comp that has this gpu. p4 2.66 ghz512 megs RDRAMand a Ti4200Git's a gateway 700 series. unfortunately, that means no overclocking.

Guest Eagle92395

You may not be able to overclock the motherboard and CPU, but you can definitely overclock the graphics card. Use the newest drivers from nVidia and they have an overclock feature in them. Put the specs just under the Ti4600 specs and you shouldn't have any problems. I run mine slightly over 4600 speeds and it is stable.