Sign in to follow this  
deltafan

CIVA-INS 1.40 Updating

Hey guys, I'm a little confused with DME Updating and Manual Updating the CIVA-INS 1.40 gauge, could somebody give me the steps to doing it?Thanks in advance.

For single INS updating.1) Select INS#2 to update.2) Tune Nav radio #2 to any nearby VOR 3) Note the long/lat coordinates of the VOR4) On INS#2 using the waypoint selector - select #15) On INS#2 Right Click on numbers #7 and then right click on #96) Enter the VOR coordinates.7) Now Waypoint Change #1 (from step 4)Ins should now update and the update light should light up.You can do these steps for any of the 9 waypoints and you can load everything on the ground in advance. This is how its done on Concorde.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

What if I am only using 1 INS unit (like on the TMII 737 panel)? Would I use Nav1 radio instead?Also, could I use a waypoint other than 1?And I'm relatively new to INS operation, what do you mean by Waypoint Change #1? Does that mean the INS will move to follow that track (if the VOR is off the planned track)?Also, when on long routes and having to re-enter points (ie after I pass waypoint 1, I put in Waypoint 10's info into the 1 slot), do I leave waypoint 0 alone? Will that always be position?Also, what about manual updating, for when I am over seas or remote areas?Sorry for all of my questions, but I found the CIVA manual and tutorial a bit confusing, so that's why I ask here. Thanks again.BTW, how could this have been done on Concorde if it didn't have any VORs to update with while over the ocean?

>What if I am only using 1 INS unit (like on the TMII 737>panel)? Would I use Nav1 radio instead? - Hmm. Not 100% sure but I think this would work as well.>>Also, could I use a waypoint other than 1? - Yes. any waypoint from 1-9>>And I'm relatively new to INS operation, what do you mean by>Waypoint Change #1? Does that mean the INS will move to follow>that track (if the VOR is off the planned track)? - No. After entry of the co-ordinates you need to tell the INS to update. You do this by pressing WYPT CHG, 1, INSERT. The flashing 0 in the FROM-TO display will then change to a 1 and the DME updating flag will light up.>>Also, when on long routes and having to re-enter points (ie>after I pass waypoint 1, I put in Waypoint 10's info into the>1 slot), do I leave waypoint 0 alone? Will that always be>position? - Yes. waypoint 0 is always position.>>Also, what about manual updating, for when I am over seas or>remote areas? - You can't update over the ocean as there are no VOR's. The INS will drift but not so badly that you will be way of course when you hit land again. Once you update when approaching land you will be back on track.>>Sorry for all of my questions, but I found the CIVA manual and>tutorial a bit confusing, so that's why I ask here. Thanks>again.>>BTW, how could this have been done on Concorde if it didn't>have any VORs to update with while over the ocean? - As above, Concorde updated when leaving land and again when approaching land again. Hope this helps.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

OK, now I have a question about Triple Mixing Updating.Do I fly towards a coordinate (ie next waypoint), then disconnect NAV mode, use the INS calculated heading and set the A/P Heading for that, then once over the coordinate, I quickly go to POS, right click the OLD Switch, insert the coordinate which I was flying towards and am now passing over on just one INS, right click a HOLD switch, then input WPT CHG 0-x, then Insert?How effective is this for updating, is DME updating better? Would this be useful for oceanic flying?

Under normal circumstances, manual position updating is not recommended on C-IV-A equipped aircraft. Manual position updating should only be used if there is a failure of the INS or if accuracy has been compromised.For more detailed information, I would recommend reading this thread].[/font

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg