Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Cache size

Guest Vulcho

Hey all,I wanted to know what you guys leave your cache size to be in the game. Should I leave it at minimum or is it the more the better.tnx,Alex.AlexNatchev@Yahoo.comERROR:Banner is 6.6KB, 15 pixels (width) above limit. Cannot Display!

If you are talking about the Cache setting in the Scenery Library menu, it means nothing if you installed fs2002 totally to hardrive. If you did a minimal install, where the scenery is read from CD as you fly, adjusting the cache size to fit your computer disk/ram will improve your flying experience.One item overlooked is the "empty cache on exit". If you generally fly in the same location, you may want to deselect this option. While the other cache setting is for minimal install, this option also effects all the caching accomplished by fs2002, not just the minimal install cache.

"One item overlooked is the "empty cache on exit". If you generally fly in the same location, you may want to deselect this option. While the other cache setting is for minimal install, this option also effects all the caching accomplished by fs2002, not just the minimal install cache."Even the "empty cache on exit" makes no difference if all scenery is set up for direct read. The cache is only used if the scenery's entry in the scenery.cfg is set up to point to the cache. On a full install, none of the default entries would be set up that way.If one flew over LA, as an example, and the scenery was installed as a direct read area, no data would ever appear in the cache. I would qualify your answer by saying if one flies over the same location and the scenery is cached off of the CD (as would only be typical of a low disk space install), leaving it unchecked would improve performance for that 'oft used area.-John

This is not true. The empty cache on exit is a different animal to the cache size above it as it is ALSO related to the reclaiming of RAM memory from the OS. The disabling of that box can be EXTREMELY useful if you have to quite and then restart FS, say while checking installations or changing settings that require a reboot. Leaving the box UNCHECKED can improve loading times by up to 75%, I find.However, it is not a good idea if you plan on leaving FS2002 to play another game, or someother RAM-intensive application.ChasW

"...as it is ALSO related to the reclaiming of RAM memory from the OS...."Sorry--I disagree....The FS2002 cache has nothing--I repeat nothing to do with RAM.... It is only related to scenery cached on the hard drive on CD (or from the hard drive, if one mistakenly checks the cache option when installing scenery). I don't know where you have received your information from, but it is simply incorrect....

Guest GiZBUG

Full installKeep mine set at 1000

One nice little program you may wish to look into is Cachman http://www.outertech.com/. I have used it for sometime now it does improve the game play frame rates.

Again, so there's no confusion, the cache that Cacheman manipulates is not FS2002's disk cache, but Windows' vcache. They serve two very different purposes--the vcache is a RAM cache used by all Windows' apps, and the 2k2 cache is a disk cache for storing 'oft used files on the faster HD from a slower CD.

Please re-read my post. I am not talking about the cache, I am talking about the checkbox beneath it. They may be adjacent and both have the word `cache`, but they have different functions. I bothered to make the distinction as clear as I could, but clearly I failed. My apologies.ChasW

And please reread my post--the checkbox beneath it has nothing to do with RAM. What it does do, is flush scenery files from the cache folder on the HD if it is checked, when the HD cache is used. When the HD cache is not used, regardless of whether it is checked or not, the checkbox has no influence on FS's behaviour. And again, the checkbox has nothing to do with RAM....

>And please reread my post--the checkbox beneath it has >nothing to do with RAM. What it does do, is flush scenery >files from the cache folder on the HD if it is checked, when >the HD cache is used. When the HD cache is not used, >regardless of whether it is checked or not, the checkbox has >no influence on FS's behaviour. And again, the checkbox has >nothing to do with RAM.... I'm sorry John, it is you that is confused. Simply start FS2002, go to any airport, start flying, quit out then restart... and wait, and wait and wait while the old blue line crawls across the screen, 1% at a time.Now go back in to FS, and this time uncheck the check box before quitting so as NOT to delete the cache. Now see how fast FS re-boots. Use a stopwatch if you must, but you won't need it. It's that obvious.Q.E.D. We all learn something every day. Today it is your turn. And please don't tell me that has nothing to do with system RAM. There are two caches at work with that checkbox AND WITH THAT CHECKBOX ALONE (clear enough?). The first is the FS `scenery cache`, unused in a full installation of FS as you so rightly point out. The second cache affected BY THAT CHECKBOX ALONE is the vcache of the installed files, held in the system cache memory and RAM. These are also affected by the checkbox. Go try it and see. I have been using this technique since FS2000 days to speed re-boots when I'm tweaking settings and I have examined the RAM and vcache both with and without that checkbox being utilised.ChasW

Vcache is not touched by any FS2002 cfg setting.... You can explain all day--falling on deaf ears now.... I think today is your turn to learn something, but I can't get through such reasoning.... Let's just both agree to disagree...But I do have a theory, not that you'll listen. IF some of your scenery is in the cache folder, and you leave the cache box unchecked, then the vcached "cached" files will load faster the second time around. Better to skip the middleman, and not cache the scenery on the HD to begin with. Then FS will really load fast on a restart. Mine always does on restart. If you don't believe this is happening, leave the box unchecked, and look at the contents of your cache folder. If there are any files in it--guess what--you are caching your scenery on the HD, and WINDOWS' vcache is what's causing them to load faster for you the second time around. In essence, files are getting copied during your running of FS from one location to another.Your argument has been around since FS2000--of that you are right. But people who understand the process know that this is one of those tips that should go in the dustbin....

Then please explain why the re-boot takes 57 seconds when the box is unchecked, and 1 minute 39 seconds when it is not - WHEN ALL THE SCENERY IS DIRECT READ, AND THE CACHE FOLDER HAS BEEN REMOVED ALTOGETHER? Yes, I don't even have a cache folder. No possibility of confusion there. At all.Sorry, just because `experts` have huffed and snuffed, it doesn't mean they are right. Still, long-winded alternative explanations as to why the vcache is showing different numbers from two consecutive clean boots of Windows followed by a boot of FS2002 then a Ctrl+C quit-out, when the only difference is whether the box is checked or not, would be gratefully received, as would your opinion as to why MaxMem is recovering just 52 meg of RAM when the box is left unchecked versus 297 meg of RAM when it is set to clear cache on exit?ChasW

The reboot takes less because of the Window's vcache. I get the same results regardless of the box being checked. Can't get any less short winded than that. But I do owe you a compliment--thanks for arguing your thoughts without making this a "me vs. you" thread. I actually enjoy reading what you've said, because of the way you said it. Lessons can be learned about how to stand behind one's thoughts, as you do yours, by looking at the example you've set....Regards,JohnI should note that my mem usage is consistent, checked or unchecked. The same amount of RAM is recovered each time--approx. 150 megs (on my 256 meg system). After the OS loads, I start off with approx. 210-220 megs free. Loading FS2002 takes that down to between 60-70 megs free. No difference in the numbers, although I should qualify that by saying if I apply some of Paul's FS2002.cfg tweaks, RAM usage goes up about 30 megs. Forgive my being long winded. I'm a network admin....if I wrote short memos, they wouldn't need an admin :)