Sign in to follow this  

Airspeed

When flying commercial airliners such as B757's and A320's I cannot raise the speed of the plane past 350 knots. Can someone tell me how to raise the speed of the airplane without getting 'OVERSPEED" cautions? Is the information changable in Air.cfg. file?Thanks

Guest Stamatis

Are you referring to Indicated Air Speed (IAS) or True Air Speed (TAS)?If you are referring to IAS, 350 kts seems quite near, if not above, the maximum indicated airspeed for such airliners (Vmo), so the OVERSPEED warning is quite realistic.Stamatis

Stamatis is correct.To change this, go into your realism settings and select "True Air Speed". I beleive in real life, they use Indicated Air Speed (IAS).Hope this helps!----------------------------Jeff M.

Guest 727Fan

That's right. 350 knots IAS is about right. If you want to see what your TAS, or ground speed is, bring up the GPS and note the figure in knots in upper right hand corner. That's your ground speed. It should read about 430-440 knots for B737A320.Rick

Hey There,Not sure exactly what you are looking to do but let me add this.I have been flying commercial airliners for Delta for 2+ years. A commercial jet will not get much above 340KIAS ever (except for the 727). What they tend to do is climb at approx 340 until they reach their desired MACH number and then continue climb at that MACH. What you will notice then is that the MACH will stay the same and the IAS will decline.Then on descent the IAS will slowly rise until you reach your desired IAS and transition from MACH to IAS. If you continued your descent in MACH you will overspeed the jet.Take care, Grady