Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Fantastic....what a Flight Sim!!! R/C flight simulation....free demo download

I just clicked on that P47...and all I can say...is...O.M.G.!!!!!!!!I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)I want to graduate from a computer model, to one that actually FLYS!Funny how things work out....until my friend put me onto the scent, I never even gave R/C a thought. I wonder how many other FS9'ers haven't either, and not because they would not have an interest if 'brought on-board'. Hmmmm.....Again, what an airplane you just bought! I love the scale of it and am after something like that myself. I bookmarked it, for sure! This is generating more fun by the moment!Thanks for posting,Mitch'er

Guest neslesman

Wow those engines have sure come a long way since my youth in the 50s. Just amazing, I'd love one of those.

Wow, brings back memories. I flew RC 25 years ago. It was a lot of fun. Can't find any reference to the price of this sim though. Also seems you can't purchase online. Otherwise, peformance is stunning on a P3/800. I can almost smell the grass getting chewed up when I don't pull out of a loop in time.Has anyone ever tried to fly MSFS from an RC POV? Also a lot of fun.... -John

John, Do a Google and you will find it for around $199.00 (List)It is up to version 3.5 and I think that includes the 'R/C' computer controller.At the same time I'll ask my friend exactly what real/USB controller he has, I will also ask his wife how much she paid for it. I'll do this tonight after work when we are both home. She bought her copy in Michigan.John, on my P4 3.4 ATI800XT, using the demo,I am getting 80 FPS. As you say, the performance of the model is stunning!Mitch

You might want to post to John Ci. about where you got v3.5 and how much it is, AND, if it comes with the computer R/C replica controller.See his post further down the thread.Thanks,Mitch

Hey guys. I bought my version 3.5 for 230 canadian with controller. dont expect the controller to be the high end futaba or anything. it is just for training purpose. for the sime works great. that P47 i bought was 700 canadian. i think it will be a while before i fly that one. i bought an evolution 26GT gas engine for it and that was about 550 canadian. the controller i bought was a spectrum DX7 for 400. so i better make sure i remember how to fly these darn things again. If any of you want to get into this you can do it for a LOT cheaper than what i just spent. the hobby is great. i had some money to put towards either RC or upgrading my computer to top of the line system. but i have had enough of chasing the holy grail with FS. i have come to the realization that there is no computer that will run FS silk smooth ALL THE TIME with every scenerio. sure there will people that say the get awesome performance with their new intel X6800, etc but i can bet there are a lot of situations your fps and fluidity can be brought down. i just got tired of it all. Jack

Jack, I'm looking at a Zenoah GASOLINE engine. It can save $$$'obs of money over the alcohol/nitro/oil glowIt's one of the first engines made for regular gasoline. It features electronic ignition and of course a regular spark plug.The engine model # is: Zenoah G20ei.Here's a link for the engine family:http://www.rchobbies.org/zenoah.htmIt can power a 1.20 scale aircraft.I'm with you on getting off the computer upgrade flight sim curve.Like you, I can invest that money that might have made FSX near the performance already seen in FS9 including the SP1 patch OR... in an actual flying aircraft and radio, and still enjoy the power of FS9!The best of both worlds.In front of a computer in the winter.In the sunshine over the summer, down at the club---racking up R/C hours for the flight log. :) I'm hooked.....Cheers!Mitch

You'd laugh, if you knew how many Zenoah, Saitio, YS, and OS engines I have sitting around. Not too mention numerous six channel or more, JR and Futaba radios. Some are still new in the box, and most engines are four cycles. I've been out of active RC since the mid ninties, but swear I'll get into it again...........so I've never sold anything! Those 1993-95 radios still have a semi battery charge, although I'd replace the batteries before using them again. Still have quite a few of those Top Flight warbird kits too, along with a quarter scale Cub, and at least five ARF's. Most of my pre-1993 radios, three helicopters, jets (non-turbine), and airplanes were stolen in a burglary while I was gone to the Reno Air Races in 93'.The R/C clubs and meets were a lot of fun, as well as the Quarter Scale meets just out of Vegas, and the large warbird races in California. Perhaps someday soon, I'll pull the Cessna ARF off the garage ceiling, and crank over the Saitio 4-cycle just to hear it run. Then I might as well take it to the R/C field... :D L.Adamson

Larry, why did you drop out of the hobby with all that hardware at your beck and call?I was just cruising Hangar 9's 1/4 scale Cess 182. I watched the video and am now convinced that on some movies that I have seen aircraft from a slight distance....they were in fact R/C aircraft.I just saw a Corsair WMP video and COULD NOT believe how fast this bird flew by the field and then a beautiful vertical climb into a left-wing low stall and recovery.I don't CARE the size of these R/C hobby airframes vs real-world, normal scale. They are every inch a real aircraft, and can they PERFORM!I must have been asleep at the wheel (yoke? LOL) all these years of computer simming....geez....Mitch

>Larry, why did you drop out of the hobby with all that>hardware at your beck and call?>Mitch,As they say, a pic is worth a thousand words... :)So I just went to the garage and took one.You can see the R/C Cessna above, and the other hobby below. Too many airplane hobby's!!! After all these years, the other section of the garage has been turned into a paint booth, and I'm actually getting this machine (Van's RV6A) painted. Then I can haul it to the hangar and perhaps get a few of my R/C's put together. Afterall, I know numerous commercial, military, and GA pilots who still fly and enjoy R/C's as a hobby, and diversion from their regular work. Some of these people even like computer simming! :-hahL.Adamsonhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/169866.jpg

I know what you mean...but for me away from the computer it is motorcycles. I'll now have a reason to put my bike trailer actually 'behind it'. :) Filled with the R/C goodies on the way.But they say that a garage is a grown man's toy-box. :)I'm glad that the both of us can still 'go out to play'. :)Enjoy it, and by all means...make sure you 'make the time'. Life is too short without avenues of enjoyment!Cheers!Mitch'er

Guest Javis

>Has anyone ever tried to fly MSFS from an RC POV? Also a lot>of fun.... Sure is ! I spend half of my FS time doing that... that's why i feel right at home with this RealFlight R/C sim right away.:-cool I find 'R/C flying' even more exiting with FSX because of the instant Tower view ( i use AC Approach View in FS9 ) and because the sound of the default FSX aircraft is so awesome, particularly of the Beaver and Goose. It is actually a great comparison to the RealFlight R/C sim. I have done real R/C flying a couple decades ago but after almost loosing a couple of fingers i thought i'd better quit.... I'm a musician...:-eek ( i didn't have one of these fancy engine start-up gadgets, one bad day, after half an hour of trying to get the #### thing started, getting a lame arm and hand, i was so exited that finally the engine catched i forgat about the spinning circular saw and tried to adjust the nozzle *thru* it..... i should've sticked to glider models... :+) I find the immersive experience of flying an R/C model quite amazing with this RealFlight sim, almost cannot be compared to 'R/C flying' with FS at all. The look of the model ( absolutely wonderful with dynamic shadowing and all ! ), the behaviour of it ( i hope it will be a lot better flying it with the controller ), the exquisite photoreal surrounding ( marvelous wind sack ! ) the totally real sound of the engine,the exhaust smoke as it engulves you when you have the model almost cut your hair as it passes at full speed, and last but not least the fantasticly caught sound of breaking balsa wood which i know so well..... I can't do anything else but jump for joy when i hit that space bar ! :-jumpy :-cool Yep, took the plunge and bought the thing this morning, on line here in the Netherlands, 179 Euro ( about $240 ) and nope, you can't buy just the program, the controller is hardcoded in the software... :-hah Thanks again, Mitch, for bringing up this RealFlight R/C sim, very exited about it ! LOVED building my R/C models ( still have a lovely 156 cm wingspan Nieuport XI B

Hi Jan,Yeah..I'm hooked in the mouth as well. Just as you said, what a BLAST as you bring the plane screaming down from on high and pass right through the middle of the part in your hair!Right there with ya.I'm doing roll stalls, non-synchronized barrel rolls, cork screws, the whole enchilada.I'm also sure that with the tight as glue level turn-backs I'm doing as well and pull-outs from near vertical, I'd most likely rip the wings right off a life-scale.But...it would be interesting to read just what kind of forces can be tolerated by such war birds such as the Corsairs, Thunderbolts, Mustangs, Spitfires.I'm going to rent the movie; Battle of Britain just so I can watch the action scenes once more and try to simulate their movements and evasions through the sim before actually trying them on any R/C war bird model.Yeah...hooked through the mouth.I really like what Jack bought---the P47 and keep coming back to it as probably my first plane to buy. I also like Hangar 9's 1/4 scale Cessna 182. The final plane that interests me for now is the Seawind. Must be a hoot to take it up to the cottage and then taxi out from your dock at let's say 8:00 am in the morn while the lake is still glassy on the surface and let 'er rip.....:)))))))I'm not getting older...I believe that I am getting younger....LOL!FS9 and R/C!I'm in heaven. :)Cheers!Mitch

Hi Mitch,A few piccies taken at our FunFly in 2004:My kit. I was flying an 'Acro Wot' at the time - great performer!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/169887.jpgMe posing as I was about to wind up the ASP .53 http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/169886.jpgAnd finally, just a cautionery note. This (not mine in this instance) can really spoil your day :( http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/169885.jpgSo practice, practice, practice those landings and takeoffs in the sim. Then, when you think you are ready to try it out for real, purchase a cheap trainer model. Believe me, it's not as easy as it looks and you could save yourself a lot of heartache, and time spent rebuilding your cherished model, if you first spend a few weeks becoming proficient in the basics of R/C flight. If possible, join a local R/C club, learn about the safety aspects and protect yourself with insurance in the event of a more serious accident happening (Most clubs usually have a blanket policy covering their membership) - rare, but can happen. R/C model flying is a great hobby but, when placed in the hands of the impatient but enthusiastic amateur can be very dangerous.Have fun!Mike

So practice, practice, practice those landings and takeoffs in the sim. Then, when you think you are ready to try it out for real, purchase a cheap trainer model. Believe me, it's not as easy as it looks and you could save yourself a lot of heartache, and time spent rebuilding your cherished model, if you first spend a few weeks becoming proficient in the basics of R/C flight. If possible, join a local R/C club, learn about the safety aspects and protect yourself with insurance in the event of a more serious accident happening (Most clubs usually have a blanket policy covering their membership) - rare, but can happen. R/C model flying is a great hobby but, when placed in the hands of the impatient but enthusiastic amateur can be very dangerous.--------------------------------------------------Mike...your points were WELL taken!Great post.I'm sure that my enthusiasm for this part of flight simulation WAY outweighs my present capabilities at control.Point taken!I'll spend some major time with the sim, and as you have thoughtfully posted, will buy an inexpensive electric ARF model to start with and practice actual non-simulated control. The others that I have posted in wanting to persue will wait beyond this one. :)Thanks. The picture of the sod-crusted engine really made me grimace :( I could feel his/her pain!Mitch