Sign in to follow this  
tanker

Factory Flight Sim Closing

Hi All,I just got an E-Mail from FFS stating that they are closing. This is part of the message:It is with great sadness to announce that Flight Factory-Simulations will be closing its doors. This is being done due to the lack of time commitments that internal personnel have as well as other reasons beyond our control. FFS thanks your for your patronage over the past few years. It is recommended that if you need an backup copy of any software, you should login to your account and download them in order to save them to a backup source.Too bad, because the Saab 340 was only an update away from being a really nice turboprop.Dale

Dale

Let me be the first to extend heartfelt thanks and appreciation to Flight Factory Simulations for providing timely updates to their products. ricardo

I think so, yes. And personally, seeing how FFS will no longer be open, will they continue to sale their current products, or do away with them? I think they should eathier 1) keep it up for purchase with no updates or support, or 2) just upload it for free here at avsim. The way I see it, let the community enjoy the SAAB as a gift instead of taking it away from the world. I really do enjoy it.I think it would be a shame if this amazing bird is no longer around.

Thats very sad to hear. I hope the devs continue to contribute to the FS community.

Andy,I think it's definitely worth getting! I've enjoyed it tremendously since it was released and personally haven't come across any bugs that in any way has affected my flying. It lacks an FMC which is quite necessary if you fly in Europe, but apart from that it's one great airplane. The VC is exquisite and with the new sound set from Benny Miller it has the sound to back it up. The only thing is perhaps the way the 2d panels are set up, but since I always fly from the VC it doesn't affect me.AT THE SAME TIME, if you purchase it the money will end up in the pockets of those who didn't fulfil (as I understand it) their obligations towards those that actually developed the airplane. So from the standpoint of what you get for the money, GET IT, but morally I just don't know.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

I also bought their Saab 340 some months ago. However, I regreted the purchase and hangared it for good.It was due to the fact that flying in the VC (I bought TrackIR4 to enjoy my VC world) I have ground texture loading problem. It is a well-known bug happening to some users of this model.I asked at their forum and got a fair answer. I was given a choice to either get my money back or wait a few weeks for the patch. I promised to wait.However, now it looks like I will never get what I was promised.It is a pity since I potentially like that bird (although it doesn't have an FMC, but of course I knew that before buying). The model and its FDE are very fine.Krister!You wrote you're flying in the VC.Does it maen you have no problems with the ground texture load?Some people suggested it is graphic card dependant. I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro.Best regards,Rafal

Rafal,absolutely no problems at all with the textures. I have a Radeon X850XT card and all textures load quickly and without a problem.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

>>Let me be the first to inform you that the FFS dev team had>>nothing to do with this decision, this was made by the FFS>>management only ... please see the two stickys in this>forum.>>>>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=246>>>>>>Regards,>>Bob Jones>>Are youy guys going to deliver on your promises of an update?>>ricardo>I think you should re-read the threads linked there. The devs seem to have had the rug pulled out from under them and haven't been paid.

I considered getting it (having been sabless since the fs98 days and erics stuff) but after reading they pulled a bait and switch on their own team i don't want to contribute to someone's severence fund.

Guest Bob_Jones

>>Let me be the first to inform you that the FFS dev team had>>nothing to do with this decision, this was made by the FFS>>management only ... please see the two stickys in this>forum.>>>>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=246>>>>>>Regards,>>Bob Jones>>Are youy guys going to deliver on your promises of an update?>>ricardo>Ricardo,the dev team would have liked to deliver the promised update, but from the day it was announced nothing was ever done about it. You were given a false promise by the FFS management to keep the customer base happy. The dev team had no idea what was happening and absolutly no contact with the FFS management since nov 06 even after numours emails from all the dev team.Regards,Bob Jones

Guest Bob_Jones

>I considered getting it (having been sabless since the fs98>days and erics stuff) but after reading they pulled a bait and>switch on their own team i don't want to contribute to>someone's severence fund. gyrate,thanks for supporting the dev team, we hope everyone else who reads this does the same and saves themselves $35.Regards,Bob Jones

Bob, Why dont you and your fellow developers look into doing freeware models or maybe even start another company for yourselves? You guys obviously have alot of tallent. The SAAB is beautiful. It'd be nice to have more models from you guys somehow. :)