Sign in to follow this  
Virgin_A340

Flight 1 ATR or Majestic Dash 8?

I fancy doing a bit of turboprop flying but I can't decide which to get out of the Flight 1 ATR and the Majestic Dash 8. I have heard many good things about the ATR but very little about the dash. If the dash 8 was a -400Q then I would certainly go with that as I would really like to fly some SK routes with it. I have the PSS dash 8 which is good but a bit old maybe. The only drawback with the ATR over the dash that I can see is that there are less operators/routes to fly it on in Europe.I migth be leaning towards the ATR but and comments very welcome. Andy S

The ATR is truly hard to beat, it really is a top notch add-on, up there alongside LDS and PMDG quality.The ONLY real advantage the Dash has over the ATR is that it has excellent Turboprop flight dynamics and sound modelling. The ATR does well in these areas too, but within the contraints of the FS sound routines. The Dash8 engine sounds are generated outside of these routines and so are more realistic.On the other hand the Dash has a somewhat disappointing VC so if you're a VC flyer that will definitely tip the scales in favour of the ATR.Put it this way, I own both and fly the ATR freqently, the Dash8 only gets an occasional outing, albeit enjoyable.Good luck!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I own both the F1 ATR and the Dash from Majestic. They do have some trade offs from each other. The VC is better in the ATR, and the system simulation is great in both. They both have a fully function FMS, however, the ATR has a more complete data base, but I think the Devs for the Dash are going to enhance theirs as time goes on. The Dash's FMS is nothing to sneeze at, so don't take my comparision the wrong way. The soundset in the Dash utilizes an environment outside of FS. The only draw back is the external sounds in spot view are the same as interanl, but not a big deal. The ATR uses the internal FS engine for sounds, but a great soundset indeed. The dash has an INI config that you can customize joytick, throttle inputs, also a hud is included (I haven't used this feature), entertainment system with crew announcments that automatically trigger depending on the flight situation. These are the few things I mention about trade offs that the ATR does not have, yet the ATR is still an amazing aircraft. Hans Hartman did a great job on the programming on the ATR. Honestly they are two different aircraft with different personalities, so if you can in time, get both as I think you would get enjoyment from both of them. Majestic has been working on a new Q-400 for some time, and I'm sure we will see it in the future. How long is anybodys guess. I do have alot more time in the ATR, so I do hope I gave the correct information. There are reviews on each of these aircraft in the commercial reviews section here at Avsim, that should clear some questions you may have as well. I hope this helps.

And as an alternative you can consider the FFS Saab 340. But you have to be quick because FFS is closing down.Here for more info: http://www.flightfactory-simulations.com/FFSSaab340_Buy.phphttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/169856.jpgRob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Guest jboweruk

It's sad they have to go, it's put me in a quandry though, I was waiting on a good FS Saab340, but at the moment my PC is not well, and I don't know even if I can get it working properly whether I feel like re-installing 80 odd Gb of FS, and jumping through hoops with some of my add-ons. :(

the atr is a much better package on the whole. however the dash behaves very realistic (even too much for FS) to a real plane (haven't flown the dash as a pilot so i can't judge it specifically), but turbulence and wind you will feel like you are supposed to.a lot of "hoo ha" over the systems however you can begin flying right of the bat and ignore all the warning lights. complexity in reality is quite lower than the 767 by ld. the VC lightning is on and off. unlike in the 2nd you cannot adjust the individual levels yourself. and this is annoying to no end. you can't go wrong with either but the dash misses the FMC data so you are on your own. for the price, i will have to recommend the ATR, along with its flushing toilet. the dash is very good on frame rates while the atr is a pig. the Q400 was supposed to be finished in 2003/2004. The 300 was supposed to be finished at the same time. you decide on when it will be ready since some people like to buy based on promises and then complain...right now, for 100+$, the dash needs a major visual (VC textures + cabin) and FMC update (so that it can use navdata.at) for that price to really compete.

I might get the ATR based on the above comments. Not having the FMC data in the dash puts me off quite a lot really as does the fairly high price.The Saab looks good but I might wait a few weeks and see what happens after FFS closes.Andy S

AndyWhat you should really do is go to each forum and get a better feel for each aircraft. The ATR is a very good package, and there really is nothing that I can complain about except for the fact that it is not FPS friendly, unless your system is well tweaked or you have enough horses under the hood to actually enjoy flight with heavy scenery airports. Dreamfleet did a great job in recreating this turboprop aircraft.THE DASH 8 The Q300 if you were to compare it along side the ATR is not as visually appealing in the 2D and 3D office. However, the premise of the Dash 8 was to recreate systems logic which has been accomplished, in every version of the Q300 offered by Majestic. Re-creating the 2D panel has been on the drawing board, but time is greatly consumed in the development of the Q400 The FMS has not been updated recently mainly due to the fact the development of the Q400 has slowed things down abit, but stand corrected there is data for the FMS, it just has not been updated recently. There is quite abit of functionality to the FMS , but it it needs a few more updates to make it complete, however it is not your basic FMS. When the patch of the Q300 for FSX is released, the FMS updates will also be released. The propeller logic will have to be re-coded for FSX, so the patch maybe a few months in the working.The question about the Q400, well it is still in development and has a few more months in the making.Pricing for the Q300 is only $49.00 Euros for the Pilot edition. The Pro Edition is $100.00, and the Cockpit Edition is alot more, but well worth the cost if you are a serious cockpit enthusiast. Either which side of the coin you choose to pick, you will not be disappointed. Happy flying in your decision making.Kroswynd

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

I'm new to the F1 ATR but I've had more than 20 years with the Dash 8 propliners since Just Flight first came out with the PSS Dash 8-300 Professional in 2003. 

I've flown the F1 ATR-500 a few times and the software is good. I'll be partial to the Dash 8 tho, given my years and time with that propliner. 

Did you see the last reply to this topic was 16 years ago?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

On 11/17/2023 at 1:41 AM, Luis Hernandez said:

Did you see the last reply to this topic was 16 years ago?

😔

Those years...

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12650H + RTX 3050