Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Quick Question for WideView Users

Wideview confuses me a bit. I understand synchronization of the programs, but do you need a physical "patch cord" connection between the video card on the client computer and your second monitor, or is everything handled through the LAN? My assumption was that everything, video transfer to the second monitor included, would be handled through the LAN.I got the demo working on both my computer and my wife's (which only has a one output video card built into the motherboard), but the slewed view showed up on HER monitor, and I could not for the life of me figure out how to change the settings so that it would show up on my second monitor. I know this is a basic and probably dumb question but I swear I've been over the documentation and now on the website for over an hour, and I can't quite figure this simple thing out. :-hmmmThanks.Chuck B.KPHL, KVPS: I posted this in another thread, but it appears to have already gotten lost in the shuffle by responses to the original question, so please forgive me if you've already seen this question.

Hi Chuck,With Wideview, you need to have a main PC (called wideview server) running FS with all instruments and optionnally the outside main (forward) view and then "n" PC's connected on your LAN (called wideview clients). Each client needs to run its own copy of FS (in slew mode) and receives the FS data from the wideview server PC (via the network) and will have just one/two outside view(s) (different than the other PC's views).Eg with 3 PC's with one outside view each, you can have Left forward + Forward + Right forward views.You can also with powerfull graphic card and PC have 2 independent views for each PC.All the details can be found in the wideview forum :)Hope it helps,Patrick

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post, Patrick. Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear: I pretty much understand what WideView does; my question was where do I set it up on the client computer so that the client shows it's views on MY monitor, not the monitor on the client? Or do I have to string a monitor cable (in addition to the LAN connection) from the client's video card to my second monitor?My impression is that I should not need a second video cable, that that should be handled through my LAN router connection, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that, and now I'm not sure if my assumption is correct or not.Thanks again!Chuck B.KPHL, KVAY

>Thanks for taking the time to answer my post, Patrick. Sorry>if I wasn't entirely clear: I pretty much understand what>WideView does; my question was where do I set it up on the>client computer so that the client shows it's views on MY>monitor, not the monitor on the client? Or do I have to>string a monitor cable (in addition to the LAN connection)>from the client's video card to my second monitor?>>My impression is that I should not need a second video cable,>that that should be handled through my LAN router connection,>but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that, and now>I'm not sure if my assumption is correct or not.If you are wanting to display the video output from your wife's computer to another monitor sitting at your desk, then yes, you would need to have a separate video cable from her computer to your additional monitor, perhaps running through a video switcher so you can simply select which monitor to use.On the other hand, if your computer's video card supports two monitors, you needn't go to such extremes. Simply spawn another FS9 window using the [ key and move that window to your secondary monitor...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>>On the other hand, if your computer's video card supports two >>monitors, you needn't go to such extremes. Simply spawn another >>FS9 window using the < key and move that window to your secondary >>monitor..Thanks for clarifying that, Bill. I have a rather low to middle end computer -- Celeron 3.2 ghz with an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro dual head video card -- so when I run two ouside views on the one computer I take a noticeable hit to my frame rates. I was thinking of using WideView for the second, out the right window view, as it appears it would be a cheap band aid solution to buying a whole new system.It may still work for me -- an 8 foot video cable is still a lot cheaper than a dual core processor, dontcha think?Thanks again to both of you guys for helping!Best regards,Chuck B.