Sign in to follow this  
Manny

How to Slew? How do I slew properly.

I have a confession to make. I never learnt to slew.Today I looked the the commands and I am trying it out and its driving me nuts.I had the num lock turned off.1. Should I have the sim Pause Y/N? I cannot slew when its in pause so I had to unpause it and then pressed "Y" to get into the slew mode2. I understand the left arrow and right arrow and forward arrow and down arrow to move it laterally and then F4/A and F1/Q for vertical movementthe number 5 key in the num keboard to stop any movement.But here is the problem. When I press the "5" key it stops the movement only for a bit...and then it starts moving again but I don't know movment its using. I don't get that. when moving forward and I want it to stop do I press "5" or do I say move backward to retard the forward movement?Any ideas folks. :)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest ThrottleUp

First of all: if you want to slew around with precision then disable your joystick and move around using just the keyboard.The reason why this is happening:-----------------------------------When I press the "5" key it stops the movement only for a bit...and then it starts moving again but I don't know movment its using. -----------------------------------Is because your joystick is not calibrated and is causing your slewing aircraft to "creep". In this case the joytstick is slightly "jammed" in a forward position...making you creep forward during slew. It can be fixed with a proper calibration though - and if done well you will see no creep.Try slewing after disabling your joystick - you will find that pressing "5" will stop the slew instantly and you will remain stopped.You can use 5 to freeze the slew or the spacebar as well (which will freeze and orient you North)You do not have to pause the sim to slew, in the middle of a flight just press "Y".Im not running the sim now but if I remember right theres other stuff you can do while in slew-mode. Numpad 7 & 8 let you bank. 1 & 2 are for yawing. The longer you press the faster. Also one of the F-keys (F7?) control pitch at a dizzying rate...just experiment with it.You can also use F2, F3 for more gradual movement.A small peice of advice: before you slew just save your flight (save as "My current flight" or something.) Then you can quickly press CTRL + : to reload the sim if you find your slewing has taken you too far etc.

I slew all of the time using my joystick. Some of the time when you want to "stop" slewing and you press the "y" key,your aircraft will TAKE OFF like it was shot out of a connon. Before pressing the "Y" key,to stop the slewing, always press the "A" key, and it will NEVER take off like that again (the "A" key is also the LOWERING key)jerrycwo4