Sign in to follow this  
Guest jwlaurie

Tower beacon light

Guest jwlaurie

In my FS9 program the rotating beacon from a tower shows up as 4 rotating cones colored silver grey. (should be rays of light yellow colored I beleive)When you look at the rays individually they appear as grey blades not so much like cones.Any suggestions as to how I might correct it? I've tried all the settings I can think of but . . . . . My system:Pentium 4 @ 2.26GHz1 gig of DDR RamNvidia GE 6600 video card with 64 mg of DDR ram

Guest RonB49

The only time I saw that effect was when I experimented with 16-bit color depth. Make sure that you have 32-bit color selected. R-

Hi jwlaurie, I have noticed this when I switch views and the texture has not loaded completely. The rays will appear grey, then after a few seconds all is normal. This is while sitting at the airport in question, not from the air. Is this what you are talking about? Maybe the texture is never loading completely for some reason, hence the grey blades? Just a thought.

Guest jwlaurie

Moss 1, you may be on to something however, mine stay grey and solid shaped as per the jpg I included with my posting. They look the same from the air once you get close enough to the airport. From a distance it's just the glow of the light core that I see.Jeff

From your screen shot, that is exactly what it looks like when I first load the view. Does it do this with all different aircraft? Believe it or not, if you look at my specs below, I still get this. The other textures load quickly, but the rotating light texture always takes longer for some reason. This is something to wonder about. I'm sure others will chime in. Have you looked to see what size the texture is?I assume it is on the small side. I also wonder if because it is an animation, that even with a small texture size, the animation may cause it not to load as quick as a stagnant texture? Just another thought. I am good at understanding graphic solutions for my production business, but the FS9 stuff always leaves me with questions I can't explain.

Guest jwlaurie

Moss,I'm not sure what you mean by texture size. The accompanying jpg shows what I have set under Options - settings- display. I've left the whole scenario static for an hour with only the beacon rays moving and it doesn't change.It just may be the newest video card I installed,GeForce Invidia 6600 E)I sent my HP PC into a local rebuild shop and asked them to update to the best Video card they could and they admitted afterwards that because of the Hewlett Packard architecture the GeForce was the best that would fit or work in this PC. Same with the RAM. I wanted at least a boost from 512MB to 2-3MB but an extra 500 MB was all that would physically fit on the motherboard.I may just be stuck with what I've got . . . . . ?Thanks for your help,Jeff

Sorry to confuse matters. I was refering to the texture sizes that are used within FS9. I don't have a clue what all the sizes are, but assume since it is a default item, it most likely is small in file size. Actually, it might be just an effect file and not a texture at all. This is what I meant when I said how lame I am when it comes to some of the FS9 internal workings. Anyway, do you have 512mb of ram now ,or 1 gig total? The more,the better, as this does help in FS9. 512MB has never worked well in the past with my old rig, but I also had a different video card, CPU etc... Textures and such took forever to load. Especially that rotating beacon light. Anyway, I do hope things get sorted out for you.

Guest RonB49

>I may just be stuck with what I've got . . . . . ?I'll ask again. Are you sure that you are using 32-bit colors? R-

Ron makes a very good point here. I missed this part of the post. I've had issues with 16bit in the past as well. Thanks Ron.:-)

Guest jwlaurie

>>I may just be stuck with what I've got . . . . . ?>>I'll ask again. Are you sure that you are using 32-bit>colors? R-Sorry Ron I missed your first post. If by "using 32 bit colors" you mean in the Control Panel-Display setting yes I am. Also in the display settings within FS9 I've selected 1024 X 768 32 bit.Jeff