Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Who is really using FSX ? And who still FS2004?

I understand. FSX is stunning and once seen is hard to forget. I solved this problem for myself by getting two additional LCD panels and Triplehead2Go by Matrox. Now I have a 5 foot wide screen and sim in entirely virtual cockpits with incredible immersion and generally very decent scenery in FS9. It's a good fix that might last me 5 years if the PC holds up that long.JS

FS9 with no plans for switching to FSX in the near future (<2 years)i've tried it and dumped this pos. even if they ever get it to run on anything other than a cray it offers me nothing. no weather, no atc, no proper lightning.. nada.

Howard:Great stuff! I use FS9 largely for heavies too (who can live without the PMDG 747-400?!) although I do some GA simming as well because of the TH2G. I thought about installing FSX just for the scenery and GA possibilities using default a/c but have not gone that route. I might well miss out totally on FSX and have wondered whether FSX will turn out to be a transition generation like FS2000 before it gets really amazing in FS11 and actually works decently on the average simmer's PC.JS

Guest paulvanharte

I have been simming since Fs98. It was not until FS9 that I actually started buying addons( scenery, planes etc) I love the way FS9 runs on my system. Everytime I start FSX I end up being somewhat disappointed in its performance. I am not about to upgrade my computer just to run one game, so I will probably stick it out with FS9 and wait and see what the patch will do for FSX.In addition whenever I play a mission I cant help but get the feeling I am playing an adventure game instead of a flightsim.Paul

Simming since fs 4.0 for dos and have bought every version since with the last three being bought on the day of release. To be honest. FsX has been the most uninspiring version ive bought. I dont know ... theres no awe factor in it yet. Hoping this and the performance will be fixed in the near future. For right now im enjoying FS9 with the addons i have.Cheers

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Guest radarbeam

It's 2003 all over again. When I upgraded to FS9 6 months after it's initial release, FS2002 files were still dominating the library. It took developers almost a full year after the initial release of FS9 to announce they were not going to support FS2002 for future releases, this obviously caused a massive e-uprising.At this point FS9 was still in it's infancy. A lot of simmers refused to upgrade to FS9 because of reports of seasonal CTDs. People sweared they would not upgrade until the issue was fixed. Eventually someone found a fix and a little later MS released SP1. And yes they were also some performance issues. All that combined made for a slow FS9 launch ...now tell me, are any of you still using FS2002?FSX will get better. FS is like wine, it betters as it ages. This FS version is no different than any previous ...MS has always been ahead in terms of hardware, are they to blame? I don't think so, they are forcing us to improve.SP1 is coming along pretty well I heard, video cards drivers are bettering, hardware prices are going to be slashed ...look at Intel, it's first price cut is rumored to be this month with most C2Ds dropping by $100. Wait until AMD release it's barcelona core later this year and watch another price cut, you'll be able to pick up a quad-core for less than a burger a Mcdonalds. The same thing will happen with graphic cards as well. Those 8800 will take a big price drop once the R600 hits the market. Intel & Nvidia have entered war with AMD & ATI and it couldn't have been at a better time for us.In conclusion I would just like for you to take a look at the link below. And remember how easy it is to forget from where we came from.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mi...mulator#GalleryFor the record I loved every bit of what FS9 had to offer. Our developers made it 10 times better. Now the same thing will gradually happen with FSX.

I gotta get in on this one. I don't show up to often.If you will look at all the downloads for FSX, you will see nothing but mainly airplane repaints. None of the FS9 freeware great scenery designers have even touched X. Does that tell you something? Sherahr, Kevin Burns, etc.. The airplanes in there leave a lottttt to be desired. I cleaned that up!!Trying to figure out the views is something else. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking on this one..Oh what they could have done with FS9.X is not a Flight Sim in my estimation, it is a "Texture" sim...Yes my computer is 3 yrs old, but it runs the heck outta FS9. I ain't got enough jack yet just for a "Texture" Sim....

FS9!!!!After trying to upgrade my computer to get FSX to work I found that FS9 runs great with everything maxed out while FSX is a slide show with no autogen and almost all of the sliders at minimum. I also have a zillion dollars worth of addons for FS9 that I can now appreciate. Since I don't plan on buying a new computer anytime soon it's FS9 for me all the way!!!!!!! RichardS

"It's 2003 all over again"Oh no it most definitely isn't!I had the most excellent FS2002 setup with hours and hours of work invested in it. I was very reluctant to move to FS9 but did very early on as the enviroment was irresistable.I have bought FSX and very happy to invest in FS's future but do i feel I have been given more in FSX? ...far from it I feel and know that a lot has been taken away! :)For new simmers FSX will be fine but for me not. :)

Interesting topic and discussion. I have both FS9 & FSX. I know that FSX will be the future. However, I see that being a slower transition than the 2002-2004 transition. FS2004 was an upgraded FS2002. Other than maybe a few tweaks, here and there, what ran in 2002 ran in 2004. Vendors, upgraded and passed on the upgrade frees of charge. Not so with the FS9-FSX changeover.Many of the must have add-ons, such as FSUIPC are charging for new products. You want to go to FSX, figure on buying new copies of many must have add-ons. FSX is a new product with different ways of doing things. The developers are having to, in some cases, completely rewrite their products. They have to charge for all this extra work. So the transition will be slower.With FSGenesis, UT, Birds-eye-view, etc. FS9 looks as good as or better than FSX and, provides me with a much smoother flying experience. To move to FSX, I would have to spend hundreds of dollars on FSX versions of the same programs I already own. Why would I want to at this time?I have flow several flights in both FS9 & FSX, same airplane, same route to compare. Right now, nine times out of ten, the FS9 version is more enjoyable. It is smoother and looks better than the same flight in FSX. However, where FS9 may be a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. FSX without anything other than FSGenesis mesh and landcast is already a 7 on the same scale. FSX will come, it is like the dawn. It will come, however, I believe it will be a longer changeover than was the FS2002 to FS2004 changeover.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Only using FS2004 any more as necessary for testing and to move stuff to FSX.Look at it this way, 90% of new flight simmers are FSX and growing.BTW, this is almost exactly a repeat of a post in January 2004 about why people were not moving to FS2004.

I agree about new simmers and generally the repeat of past new releases. I do sense this time though that more of us are more invested and satisfied than ever before with the older platform.Unless fs11 previews utterly blow our minds I strongly suspect that the curve will flatten even more once FSX has fully matured. MS is probably right to try targetting new markets. regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpgPC Power Silencer 470/3.2HT/2048mb/ATI X1950pro/SB Audigy

Regards,

Mark

I stay with FS9. Guess FSX takes over someday, but not at the moment. Let's see what future brings, but I'm pessimistic that FS9 will disappear from my hard drive soon: even if I had the PMDG MD-11 in FSX one day, I won't have all the other goodies of my FS9 world, so that plane would live a lonesome life in FSX. And firing up FSX just to fly the MD-11 and not having the other things I'm used to have for me is no reason to switch.But I'm always ready to get surprised...Andreas

>And firing up FSX just to fly the MD-11 and not having the>other things I'm used to have for me is no reason to switch.The PMDG MD-11 is for FS9,there is currently no plans to upgrade it for FSX.

Dave Taylor gb.png