Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Who is really using FSX ? And who still FS2004?

I just installed my new 320GB HD yesterday and loaded FSX up on it.

Here's how I look at it:I spent almost $2000 USD on my system 3 years ago in Dec/07. My original specs are the same except for the $350 upgrade to the X850XT from a 9600XT and now the addition of a 320GB HD intended for FS use only.So, 1700 plus 350 plus 120 plus and 2 or 300 for computer issues that were resolved at the shop.. Adds up to almost $2500.

I didn't load FS9 last night on the new drive, but instead FSX. FSX loaded fairly quick on the 320, but then turned to a slide show with much less detail than I get in FS9. So, FSX can stay on my drive because I'm curious about SP1, but FS9 and the addons are going back on tonight in all their glory.FS9 still isn't where I would like for it to be. Id like sliders a little more right and to be able to stay above 30FPS for the most part. Sliders aren't full right but they're close and I get impressive detail and very acceptable FPS nearly all the time. Sometimes it drops to the mid-teens, but that's only around high density area's or when I get into the heavy clouds. Detail wise, I'm very happy. Wouldn't mind a little more FPS, but what I have is very acceptable. Anything more is mainly for smoothness. I stay in the upper 20's and when I get it tweaked just right and the XT oc'd the way it should be, I can easily get in the 30's or 40's. But, as soon as I get it perfect, I have to try to and make things better and infact, just the opposite happens. I'm very happy with FS9. I'm sure when I get it on my new HD, load times will cut dramatically and I bet performance will take a climb. I'll find out tonight.The release of FSX is just a repeat of the past, or at least for me it is. I started simming with FS2002 Pro on a aging HP Pavillion with a challenged 1.5ghz P4. Then at the release of FS9, I ran out and bought it and suffered for just over a year on the computer I wanted to strangle. I finally had enough and did my first custom build. I still remember loading FS9 for the first time and taking off in a Lear from Niagra Falls at night time. Climbing away and cruise... Wow how those clouds glowed. And those blocky aircraft textures? Thank god, a simmer released some textures that replaced all the a/c textures and made them look nice and clear. Then those clouds... Man, they just bugged me non-stop. Then on the descent into the NYC area... Seeing those taxiways. I thought it was a alien abduction movie. Between the clouds and taxiways, I didn't know which glowed brighter.To move forward a few years, addons like GE-Pro, ASV, Fly Tampa sceneries, PMDG aircraft and much more has made the FS( that started so rocky and ugly, so smooth and beautiful. Last night I installed FSX. Blocky aircraft textures, very little scenery at the airport and on the landscape. I'm sure in a few years, I'll upgrade just to keep up with the time, but untill then, FSX will just be the home of spiders. Cobwebs will grow, you know, all that good stuff for my sanity. But for now, I'll be staying on FS9. I cant give up all the addons that I've purchase. I don't even want to add up how much it has cost me for them all. I think I'd die if I did the math. But I'm sure there is probably 4 digits to the left of the decimal. FS9 went to my head... But, I've enjoyed every minute of it and I will continue to do so. When I go through an entire system upgrade in a year or two just to keep up with the time, I'm sure I'll check out FSX, and if it runs to my expectations, it can share the hard drive space with FS9 and all of it's addons that I have collected over the years. I'm still trying to get FS9 to where I want it, and I'm hoping a new HD will put me there. If not, I'll try to pick up another processor. That is ofcourse if 754-socket chips are still made. And if they are, I'll just put a few less gallons of gas in my car when I go to the pump. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much at all to grab a faster chip. And on-top of that, I'm still debating whether to upgrade to vista or not. Will FS9 and all my addons still work? Is it even worth the money this early on? Ohh well... Fact of the matter is, I'm still on FS9. And I will be for a long, long time...

Hi all:I must have missed something and I read the PMDG forum every day. The PMDG web page still says MD-11 compatibility TBA. So has there been and announcement by PMDG stating that the MD-11 will be for FS9?RegardsRick

Guest radarbeam

>do i feel I have been given more in FSX? ...far from it I feel>and know that a lot has been taken away! :)Ed,Out of curiosity, what do you feel has been taken away in FSX?IMHO, I find FSX the best platform for VFR flight. FS9 was THE first version of FS where you could seriously fly VFR and I had many hours of pure pleasure on FS2004 but now that FSX has hit the shelves it performs better than it's older brother, pound for pound.Now wait until we start getting quality addon for FSX and most people won't look back.Nick

The secret?Oh, that's called the 727X. Very nice so far, even if I do say so myself. That Flight Engineers panel covered in all those 3d switches and knobs. And not just things to fiddle with, properly functioning - just like the FS9 version, only all in 3d ......................... ;-)Greatest Airliners - DC-8Greatest Airliners - 727 Whisperjethttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

I haven't even had the desire to buy FSX. 70 dollar price tag for something I know won't run good, forget it.I'm way to invested in FS9 to even bother with FSX. Until I'm comfortable with it's performance on new systems and a few good add ons are released, I have no intentions on wasting my cash.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

For the last 8 weeks or so, FSX exclusively. It took me that long to get a config that was smooth enough to fly accurately.I can't go back to FS9 now especially using FSX with 2m textures etc. Much more realistic experience IMHO.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaCheck out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html

Guest lflinares

My FSX came with a brand new laptop with Vista. It looks very promising. I like to fly the missions and do some free flights, especially when I

Paul,When? ;-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest thedoggg

"Will FS9 and all my addons still work?"If you want to play around with Vista do a dual boot setup with XP and use that for FS9.Regards, Carlos

Guest strega13

still using FS2004 . extremely happy with it ( especialy with all the add-ons , weither freeware or payware i have for it ) and do not plan on getting FSX any time soon .tried it at a friend's place and was not impressed by its frame rate ( even though he also has a computer that is a lot more powerful than mine ) .

I am not sure if the majority of the FSX users are even into addons.For IMC, night flying, and VFR over geography with large patch of water I prefer FSX. The weather rendition of overcast seems much better in FSX.If fly FS9: 70% FSX: 30%Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest Rob Hirst

Well I upgraded from FS2002 to FSX thanks to a gift from the missus. My rig doesn't run FSX too good so I've uninstalled it pending a hardware upgrade which won't happen for some time yet. Bought FS9 off ebay for next to nothing. Very happy with it. To be honest, my PC is no slouch for all my other applications so I may not upgrade for years. Don't want to get into the old FSX bashing but I think Microsoft dropped the ball on this release.As someone has mentioned earlier, with people like Holger Sandmann releasing awsome scenery such as Glacier bay, why upgrade?

Fs9 only for me. And I beta tested FSX. That was initially due to a lower powered PC, but I have ordered a new (monster) one., so Im over that hurdle. Still, I have FS9 tweaked out over 3 years of flying it daily. I like it and see no advantage in FS10 other than some shiny water and a little different view system (which I dont particularly like).So it will be FS9 for me until the 3rd party developers catch completely up with FS10 and the kinks are worked out of it. (I suspect a year). Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg