Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Who is really using FSX ? And who still FS2004?

It's interesting to visit the AVSIM library and see the download stats for FS2004 and FSX downloads. It's like FSX is incidental. It makes me wonder, who in our community is using FSX and consistently, and who is still using FS2004? I don't use FSX for several reasons and might just miss that entire generation of the sim because I am still occupied heavily with FS9 (whatever time I can give it, at least).But I wonder if FSX has been a success for (a) simmers, and (:( Microsoft. And I wonder what the numbers would look like for sales and usage of FSX vs. FS2004.JS

Guest Ken_Verga

FS9 because it runs smother and theres a wider range of addons.

FS9 here also. I think that the last time I fired up FSX was about 6 weeks ago. I check this forum at least daily; I may look in the FSX Fourm perhaps once a week.I like the way FS9 runs at present. I have no intentions of building a new computer at this point ( at least while this one keeps going) and to get anything remotely comparable to FS9, it would take a significant investment on my part.That's my reality check for now.Ed GreenKCLT

http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/forum_images/fdc_beta.jpg

I think lots of folks have systems that won't handle FSX well and many are waiting to upgrade their hardware until The FSX update comes out and the impact of Vista/DX10 is better understood.FSX has the potential to be the better sim, but until the hardware catches up and the developers release more add-ons, FS9 still offers a lot for most of us to enjoy.Dale

Dale

Well, I uninstalled FSX a few weeks ago after several months and I don't miss it at all. A very disappointing product, and a first for me as I usually grab the latest versions eagerly.FS9 works fine and the tons of add-ons I have invested $$$ in are enjoyable.I may return to FSX on a new PC someday, but the days of buying new hardware just for a new FS release are over.

Graeme Butler

I reinstalled it for the upcoming SP. I use it sometimes, but FS9 has so much more to offer right now.

"but the days of buying new hardware just for a new FS release are over."Isn't it a relief ? :)

Regards,

Brian Doney

I use FS9 and have no plans to buy FSX. I just bought the MADDOG for FS9 and am having a blast with it.JimCYWG

I'm using both.FS9 with the Misty/Tongass/Glacier Bay add-ons keep me occupied with plenty to do and explore.I just recently installed the Aerosoft Beaver for FSX and have to say, I really enjoy it - especially the amphibian version - FSX does a much better job simulating the water taxi than FS9 and the flight dynamics are great. I spend almost all my time when flying FSX in the Bella Coola scenery that Holger Sandmann has given us - patiently waiting for more :-) So I guess I'm about 60/40 FS9/FSX.

Using FS9, Im running a P4 1.8ghz with 512 mb ram and an Nvidia 256mb card. Im not planning on upgrading for fsx, I can run fs9 to my liking, my PC can print a resume every now and then, I can log on to the internet, talk to some people on msn, check emails etc etc. so why spend a couple grand on a new Pc to be able to play fsx, dont make sense to me.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Same here...I've been waiting since release to see something, anything, to justify not only the financial outlay(hardware, etc.), but also the significant time investment that it would require to basically start over...Just not seeing anything there...

Regards,

Brian Doney

I to am waiting for SP1 to see where FSX is headed. I am going to wait until Sept to upgrade old PC, my hope is to run both sims and slowly change over.Bob

I don't think I'll ever abandon FS9, I've got too much invested in it. I'm still buying addons, just in the last month I've bought the Airbus package from Wilco/Feelthere and the St. Maarten scenery from Fly Tampa. I do plan on buying a new dual core system but that's many months from now. I'll wait for the DX10 cards to get a little cheaper. I will keep my current setup and network it just so I can still use FS9. I've seen a big change in the community since the release of FS9. We have seen a huge increase in the number of addon products available. Many of us over the last few years have spent hundreds of dollars on software and are in no hurry to abandon them so soon. Sure some products will be upgraded but the majority will not. I'm speaking mostly of all the scenery and little things we've done to get FS9 just right. Years ago we never had that much invested in MSFS, maybe a few payware releases, but mostly freeware that usually worked fine in the next version of MSFS so bought the new version right away. So I think we're seeing something new in the community, many of us are taking our time moving to the new FSX. Maybe by this time next year, when all the bugs are worked out, the hardware has been developed and we have many addons to choose from, then maybe, just maybe FSX will be my primary sim.Dave FisherCYYZP4 Prescott 3.2e 478p 800mhz 1mg CPUP4P800SE Asus Motherboard2.5 gig PC3200 DDR RAM 400MHZGeForce 7600GT/512 OC'dMaxtor 80 Gig ATA 133 HD x2WDC WD800 80 Gig HDAntec 500watt true powerSharp 19 inch LCD MonitorLogitech Extreme 3D pro Joystickhttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpghttp://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpg

500+ sceneries, gigs of AI traffic, no way will FSX be flying for me anytime soon!

Well, to be fair, I hadn't planned on buying FSX right away anyway, as I figured before it was released that it probably wouldn't run very well on my three-year-old machine, and I'd barely scratched the surface of FS9 at that time. Now that guys with cutting-edge machines still can't run it very well in it's current unpatched state, I'm glad I waited. So, instead of buying FSX, I've been spending money on upgrading FS9, with add-ons like KLAX and the MadDog 06, and having a great time with the old sim.I hope that Aces can fix FSX for the majority of simmers, as it is the future of the franchise, but I'll probably wait for that next hardware upgrade in a year or so before I buy it. I'm much more interested in the new TNCM from FT.....John G.

John G.